The infernal Paris/shuttle/RER issue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've done careful research (hopefully), and I've finally gauged how much I need for our trip. We leave tomorrow, and we have 2 huge suitcases, a medium duffle bag carryon, 2 backpacks and a 4 yr old kid with stroller. We're gone for 3 weeks that includes city living and skiing for the 3 of us. So for me, I did great on the packing (last year, we had 5 suitcases!)

Our apartment in Paris is on RER B Luxembourg stop, 1 block away. So RER is very tempting. Taxis are very tempting for the 3 of us who will be tired and jetlagged. We arrive at 8:30 a.m. - estimating that we get on a taxi at 9:30, I'm afraid of traffic into city. Finally, shuttles' fixed prices are tempting, but by the time you factor in the 3 of us, it's almost a taxi...assuming about a 50 E fare.

A factor that I must consider is that my son is a TERROR when we land on international trips. He needs 10-11 hours a night, but by the time we settle him into the plane, he usually gets no more than 4-5, if we're lucky. So the less jostling for him, the better. He sleeps well when I hold him, and he can sleep in the stroller but he cannot sleep in taxis/shuttles.

SO...we decided: mom and son will take one backpack and the stroller and take the RER to the apartment. That will cost us about 13 E. Husband will take the shuttle at about 18E (still need to research and contact) with all the luggage (factoring in extras on luggage -- 20-21E. So for a total of about 35Eu max, we will get there, albeit separately. The hassle of the luggage on RER will be avoided (I'm not crazy about stroller and climbs, but will live--I'm a strong girl and it's an easy stroller) and the cost will be manageable. Plus my son will get a stretch of sleep on the stroller in the RER.

What does everyone else think? Just HOW MANY STAIRS are there in CDG/Luxembourg?

merci en avance pour votre aide!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:33 AM

The RER Luxembourg station has relatively few stairs, but given your luggage and child, I would not take the RER on the way in, especially if you need to take the shuttle bus to the RER station. You might feel comfortable enough to take it on the way out.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:45 AM
ira

Hi g,

>...mom and son will take one backpack and the stroller and take the RER to the apartment....Husband will take the shuttle .... with all the luggage ..<

Not something I would recommend. Neither of you will have anyone to help in case of unforseen difficulty - baby throws up, duffle bag gets snagged.

I suggest that you all take a cab and spend less on ski lifts.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I would generally agree that taking the RER to Luxembourg is a great idea if you have a place within a block.

However, since you have a child who is a terror, quite a bit of luggage to handle because of that and plan to split up, you are going through all of that -- separate trips, one person having to handle all the luggage, assuming your son is going to sleep in a stroller on the RER, getting to the RER with child and stroller in the airport, making separate arrangements with a van and shuttle, etc. -- in order to save about 15 euro? I've never spent more than 50 euro on a taxi, but I know that you cannot predict and something could happen. I don't think anyone has ever reported a fare higher than 60-70 euro, though, on here, and that was really rare.

It wouldn't be worth it to me, but if you value that amount of money enough to do that, it sounds okay. The Luxembourg RER stop is definitely one of the easiest, smaller ones. They even have escalators there.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
aggiemom

No doubt in my mind, I'd take a cab!

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:57 AM

I agree. Take a taxi!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 09:04 AM

We used the RER in Sept. It is very economical but not designed for the weary, carrying extra baggage and a child.

Please take a taxi... it may cost 15€ more but that is peanuts for what you will avoid by taking it. You can make up 15€ somewhere else.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Okay, Taxi it is. Part of me wanted to be like a local "going into town" with my son. We've been to Paris many times, but never by RER and it sounded like an experience.

BUT -- when is rush hour? If we leave CDG at around 9:30, won't be be reaching Paris around 10 a.m.? Is that still rush hour? I wanted to avoid sitting in traffic for a long time because I get really car sick. The RER wouldn't have that.

Thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 09:56 AM

I'd say the carsickness possibility trumps all other considerations (that and the Taxi Terror). Mom will have to take the train, because the travel time by any nausea-inducing surface method may become protracted.

Rush hour won't be a consideration on the RER, because you'll be embarking at the end of the line where the seats will be plentiful. It's all but over by 9h30 anyway.

But if dad can handle the luggage on the shuttle, why wouldn't he be able to take it on the train, too? Each parent wears a backpack, mom carries the duffle and pushes the stroller, and DH carries two suitcases. Luxembourg shouldn't be a problem for a strong girl.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 11:19 AM

I think you have WAY too much stuff to be taking the train. Yikes. Take a cab, you'll be into town before you know it.

By the way, if you do take the train, don't forget to take off your backpack and put it throught he gate first or you could get very stuck.

You're trying to save a few euros, but get your tip off to a hectic start. Why?
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Sounds like a real nightmare in the making. I've never gone to Paris with anywhere near that much luggage, and have done it alone with two small kids in tow, and the one time we took the RER I thought I was about to expire by the time we got out of the métro station. Never again for me!

At 9:30 in the morning it should take you about 40 minutes to get to your hotel. Too bad you get carsick - Parisian cab drivers fly like the wind! I'd take a taxi and pop a half a dramamine after you land.

Bonne chance!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM

I totally agree with St Cirq..for about 10 Euro more , you all arrive together, door to door , no need toschlepp luggage and no stairs!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I've taken taxis into the city many times and don't remember ever getting stuck in traffic. I think I'd be more likey to get motion sickness on the RER zooming along underground than above ground where I can see where I'm going.

Your plan for the RER sounds like a nightmare in the making. There are too many variables, especially with a tired, unpredictable four year old. Take the taxi, make up the money somewhere else, and then check out the situation at your RER stop when you're in the city and consider it for the return trip.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Divide the cost of a taxi by the total cost of your trip, and you'll see how pointless it is to fret over the cost of getting to and from the airport.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:27 PM

We took the cab at about 8:00am and it was stop and go into the city. It was fine though.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I'm convinced. Cab it is!! Hope I can get one big enough to fit the luggage...Thanks all!! I can't wait!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Please take a taxi..It is worth the price..
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:33 AM

this may be too late for the OP, but I'd take something with ginger in it for the car-sickness.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Up to the point that OP said she gets carsick, I would have agreed that springing for a taxi was the best solution.

It's not a question of money, but one of comfort. If OP doesn't feel any discomfort riding the train (" I get really car sick. The RER wouldn't have that.&quot then I don't see the advantage of getting doped up on one's first day in Paris just for the sake of taking a taxi, when the transport problem can be solved by other means.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Take a cab and take some bonine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -