Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Importance of Travel Ins. - Anyone going to Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I can help a fellow traveler avoid the mistake we made, please read on. My husband and I rented a nice, centrally located one bedroom apt. right near the Louvre for a month - April 12 to May 15. I just sprained my ankle and have to cancel the trip. Somehow - perhaps because we've never dealt with prepayments before when traveling - we neglected to take out travel insurance. Now we stand to lose a hefty deposit if the property manager cannot rent the place out during the contracted time.

I am devastated at having to miss this trip and kicking myself for my carelessness regarding the insurance.

If any Fodorites are looking for a Paris flat at this time, please look under the apt. name "Louvre - Rivoli" at welcome2france.com.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM

OMG, that's terrible -- and is it for certain that you can't do even a 'lighter' version of the trip? (less walking more taxis, relax in the apartment or a park, etc...).

Post your dilemma on Tripadvisors/ Paris, too - a lot of people look for apartments on that forum.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM

with a wheelchair through the airport.. and crutches and wheelchair there.. couldnīt you somehow go and rest up on your paris sofa instead of at home?
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:10 PM

rivoli - sorry to hear that news. I agree with Lincasanova - is there any way you could recover over there instead of where you presently are located. Think of resting your ankle on a bench by the Eiffel Tower, or les Invalides, or Notre Dame with a baguette in one hand and a glass of wine in the other! Think of your husband waiting on you hand and "foot". Hopefully the apt. has an elevator or is at ground level.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice about Tripadvisors - I will follow up.

No chance of traveling light. I don't think I could make it for 5 blocks. I had planned on taking a class in the AM and then the usual walking in the PM. Walking a few blocks to the Metro, going downstairs to get a train, going upstairs, walking a few blocks to the class - all that would be impossible. Perhaps in a few weeks, but I can't be sure. I tore some ligaments. It's not a MAJOR sprain, but if I push it before it's healed, I risk permanent/chronic problems.

It would be more difficult for me to sit in a Paris apt. and constantly apologize to my DH for being a slug than to stay home with my foot elevated and heal.

I am desperate enough to resort to magical thinking - like buying a winning Lotto ticket or looking for a rainbow to chase for the pot of gold.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM

You know I would still go. You aren't going to sit on the couch at home for the next 4 weeks, ( not all day anyways) so why not go and sit in a nice cafe in Paris. You don't have take the metro, there are buses, and even sitting on a bus would be more fun then sitting at home.
A sprain does require you to take it easy, but no doctor is going to tell you to sit on a couch for the next 4 weeks, and it is a know FACT that french cheeses heal sprains... LOL
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM

I am sorry, I just realized my advise or thoughts, were aimed at what I would do, I am only in my mid forties,, so if you are in your mid 70's or 80's ,, then my advise would be different,,
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I always buy travel insurance. Travel Guard. I've had to file a claim before and have gotten my money back. So, it's a hard lesson to learn. Happy Travels!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:24 AM

It's not a sin to use taxis when you are impaired. The buses are quite good, too, no stairs or long tunnels. You can use a wheelchair to get thru the airport terminals. You don't have to do the class or anything that involves a time/commitment. You won't be able to experience a full-blown sightseeing itinerary, you will have to elevate that foot and ice it every day, but hopefully you can salvage the visit.

Above all, though, do what your doctor says.. I cracked a bone in the side of my foot, wore the stupid boot, and it took about 12 weeks to get that off. So you could be in for a long healing period with torn ligaments.