Search

The Hague

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hague

tommieG ......you mentioned In my forums that you are the resident expert of The Hague. If you are out there..........how do you get from the train station to the old town........can we walk from the station? Where is the Panorama Mesdag in relation to the old town centre?
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 11:25 AM

Not tommieG, but maybe we could help.

Panorama Mesdag is about 25 mins away from Den Haag Centraal (on foot), or about 6 mins by bus (Google Maps says bus no 24). Den Haag HS is a bit farther away (about 10 more mins give or take).
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 11:53 AM

I've walked it several times from Centraal (CS) station, in a modern part of town - just go out to the main street if I recall correctly and hang a left.
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 11:59 AM

Those »25 minutes« are very much on the safe side. I'd say it isn't more then 15 minutes, even when you walk slowly.
Centraal Station is right on the edge of the historical centre. Google Maps will show you the exact position.
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 12:03 PM

I've walked it several times from Centraal (CS) station, in a modern part of town - just go out to the main street if I recall correctly and hang a left.>

Oops I was talking about the old town with old royal palace and Mauritshuis being a short walk from the station - I have never walked from CS to Mesdeg Museum.

On another thread same question Christina says to take tram # 1 from CS to the Panorama.
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 12:58 PM

From the Mauritshuis it's another 15 minutes or so to the Panorama Mesdag on the Zeestraat, just after the recently opened Hilton. Google Maps knows it.
(The ticket for the Mauritshuis is also valid for the Galerij Prins Willem V, a small collection. Just have a look. It's just across the street from the Binnenhof. Same entrance as the more popular Gevangenpoort. I visited it as a child: a collection of wonderful torturing instruments.)
A nice walk when the weather is fine: cross the Binnenhof, which is next door to the Mauritshuis, and go by the medium luxury shopping street of the Noordeinde.
Another 5 minutes brings you to the Mesdag Collectie (on the Laan van Meerdervoort, also known by Google Maps), the home and personal collection of impressionist paintings, brought together by the same Mesdag of the panorama.
If you happen to be in need of a lunch or dinner, consider the Indonesian restaurant »Poentjak« on the Kneuterdijk. An old-fashioned place to get nostalgic for the days Indonesia was still the Dutch East Indies.
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 01:16 PM

I'll mention that I had a good lunch at a Persian restaurant a short walk from the Panorama Mesdag. Delicious soups, vegetarian dishes and meat specialties

A Taste of Persia

http://www.tasteofpersia.org/
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 02:47 PM

and keep on going west to the real Scheveningen - a swank beach area portrayed long ago in the Panorama - some interesting things there and if nice weather hit the water. Lots of beach-side pubs and restaurants and a coffeeshop or two!
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 03:19 PM

... but »Poentjak« is part of the culture of The Hague for its associations with the colonial times.
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, we are off to Den Hag tomorrow!
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Den Haag!
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, I should have checked my spelling before posting, In too much of a hurry. Trip was very successful.........we went directly to the bus information in the station upon arrival there and the lady told us to take bus 24. She also told us what stop to get off at, and it was only about a two minute walk from there. The panorama was amazing!

Walked back through the centre and enjoyed a fabulous sampling of three different pastas at an Italian Deli for lunch.

Thanks so much for all the advice fellow Fodorites!
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 11:32 PM

Great you had fun! Sorry I was absent for a few days!