Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Directions to Netherlands "Openluchtmuseum" from the train station

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi... we are making a stop at Arnhem (between Amsterdam/Cologne) to visit the Netherlands Openluchtmuseum, and are traveling by train.
Can anyone give specifics on how to reach the open-air museum from the train station? Bus? Taxi? I'm not clear on how far out the museum is, nor where the train station is (outskirts? city-center?).
Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:34 PM

I went there several summers ago after my sophomore year in college. There is a bus from the Arnhem rail station directly to the museum. It took no more than 10 minutes if that. There is a bus terminus near the station and a major bus stop near the museum.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Franto - I was hoping it would be well-connected.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:18 PM

We were at the Open Air Museum last week. It is a HUGE complex, you could easily spend an entire afternoon there. We climbed up 5 flights in a working windmill to see the sails up close and get an explanation of how a grinding mill (for wheat) worked.

The train station in Arnhem is next door to the bus station. You can take bus #3 and get off at the hospital, walk back down the street where the bus just came from to the corner, turn left and walk about 1/3 mile (keep right at the Y) to the museum. There is also another bus that might let you off a little closer but I can't remember tht number. The bus info booth is in a building to the left as you exit the train station; they were very kind and could give great directions, I'm sure. In the Netherlands, everyone speaks English, so it is very easy to get help. The museum is on the outskirts of town. You can also take a trein-taxi in the Netherlands, E3.50 for a special taxi from any train station to any destination. Buy the taxi ticket at the train station before exiting.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thanks! It always saves time to have an idea of which direction things are, and how to get there. Thanks for such specific information!