Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Greek Experience... Suggestions of MUST DO's???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Im staying at club Med Athenia (Fantastic deal of $US50 per day for everything for 3 of us!!) in the first 3 weeks of October with my two little ones (6 & 4 years) and want to know if anyone has stayed there / heard of there before and also things to do in surrounding area, or further afield... Any tips on kids in Greece and staying generally would be REALLY appreciated... I booked Club Med because of the cost and the fact that on my own with two kids I'll actually have a chance of a holiday for me as well as them, but in three weeks, Im acutally hoping to spend quite a bit of time outside the hotel. When we were in Cairo, we rented a cab and the driver for the day really cheap - whats this like in Greece? Expensive... What places are good to go that are less toruisty, but that the kids will enjoy too...??? ANy suggestions / comments appreciated...
Thanks,
Bonnie
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:58 PM

It would help if you could tell us where Club Med Athenia is located. You are aware that October is off-season on the islands. Weather can be changable.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

CLub Med Athenia is just notrth of Athens on Mainland and about 40 mins from airport
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:47 PM

I strongly suggest that you learn your key phrases because the taxi drivers will see you don't understand them and they will try and rip you off. Not to mention how lazy they are in the first place. And they are notorious for taking the long way to point A if you know what I mean. Use the bus system and railway now that they have one. Good Luck
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:31 AM

The Club Med is the former Golden Coast hotel. They have great pools and a nice enough sandy beach. This was also the site of a tragic accident last summer. A child was sucked into a whirlpool filter when the cover came off. Hopefully, they are now on top of maintenance.

The closest town is Nea Makri, about 3 miles away. There are a few touristic shops, but nothing special.

Just north of the hotel along the beach is the closest pay phone. It takes cards (telecarte) and is a good way to make calls.

Hopefully, they will be offering trips into Athens. You must see the Acropolis, and I suggest an evening in Plaka.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Cape Sounion is a don't miss, we took a bus from Athens. There's a rocky, rough and beautiful "beach" (I use that term lossely, but I still thought the water was very clear and beautiful, a decent restaurant, and the Temple of Poseidon (I think that's the name) on top of the hill. Definitely nice for an afternoon.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:52 PM

Hi Bonnie: I spent 2yrs at the American Navy communications base right next to the Golden Coast Hotel www.ked.gr/Photos/Projects/NeaMakri.jpg the hotel is in the upper left corner.
Then it was basically a tour group hotel with a new group every week. And where we went every weekend to try and meet girls. But that was 30yrs ago and the base is closed.
I stayed in Nea Makri for a couple of nights in 2000.
Nea Makri back then was a small town that had a small seasonal tourist trade (a few hotels). So it still retained it's local flavor (restaurants, cafes, shops, herds of sheep passin' thru, old men on donkeys etc
Today it's more of a suburb of Athens with some tourist & hi-end shops. There is nothing magical about the town today IMO.
There are a few historical sites (esp the Battle of Marathon) in the area but not within walking distance. And really nothing to do in the surrounding area that I can think of. I know they were *thinking* (in 2000) of turning the military base into a recreational area (soccer, tennis, basketball, etc) for children?
Unless you want to strike out on your own, bus to Athens or rental car to other sites (avoid Athens!). Just relax, enjoy the club, the beach and any bustours they offer.
Regards, Walter

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:00 PM

If you are in Athen try one of the gryo from a street vender in the shopping markets they are the best.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

rhank you esp real goose and walter...
im gonna keep a close eye on my kiddies so hopefully theyll be fine... sad to hear that its now like suburb - was hoping it was small town - hard to tell on maps...
im sure well enjoy the experience none the less...
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:20 AM

My very first trip to Greece, over 20 years ago, was to the mainland, in October, with my (now) ex-husband and our 7 year old daughter.

One of the highlights of our holiday was an organised daytrip to Athens. We spent the morning on a bus tour of the city - the highlight of which for my daughter was seeing the guards outside the ex-palace wearing their "frilly skirts" and pom-pom shoes.

In the afternoon we visited the Acropolis and, although we had wondered whether our daughter would be bored by the "pile of old rocks" she was absolutely fascinated. The sun sets early at that time of year and I still remember how beautiful the Acropolis was, bathed in the golden glow of the sinking sun.

Early evening we toured the Plaka and had fun bargaining for jewellery and souvenirs and the trip was rounded off with a "son et lumiere" show at the Acropolis, which again my daughter loved. I don't know if they are still doing the show, but if you visit it, be sure to take sweaters, as it gets cold in the evening sitting on the hill.

The other main highlight of the holiday was a trip by train over the canal to Corinth. We didn't really have a clue what we were doing, or where to go, but that made it a real adventure for us and the view of the canal as you cross over the bridge is well worth the trip on its own.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Old_One

People who take your posting at face value must a bit thick !

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 03:35 PM

If you are going to be in Athens for three weeks you should definitely see the city, no matter what other say it is still a great city with hidden jewels. Make sure that you go to Likavito, the Parthenon, the Plaka and some shopping a Monastiraki. If you have a way to get to Corinthos then after you marvel at the isthmus make sure that you don't miss the 20 minute drive to Ancient Corinth. If you go on a weekday and go up to the old village which is very much still a village you may be lucky enough to catch the sheppard bringing the sheep down from the Old Castro on the hill. It is even just an awsome sight to look down from the castle which is an hours hike from the tourist shop. In the evening in Ancient Corinth there are some fairly authentic tavernas where the locals still go and you can have the most heavenly grilled rack of lamb. There is so much to see within one or two hours of Athens anyone saying it is not a great city must not know it well and is only relying on tours.