Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Very URGENT help needed--must book ticket TODAY! British Airways or American?

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 05:13 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PLEASE HELP! Must book today? Price difference between the two is $22. Should I pay a little more for British Airways or go with American Airlines? Is one better than another? Have flown AA domestic, but never international. Please help fast! Thanks!

Tia
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 05:23 AM

I've flown both ..about the only difference is you get more seat and leg room on AA ..so if all else is equal I'd go with AA. And you get a larger carry-on allowance on AA
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 05:23 AM

You didn't say what route you will be taking and also the class of service.
If you are talking about economy coach, I would take AA over BA. Both the 767's and 777's have MRTC on AA. You will have about 2-3" more of room on AA. If you are comparing AA coach to BA travelers+ than BA wins, but I doubt that the prices would be that close. If you're talking business and or first, BA would probably be little better.

I'm not sure if this is important to you, but if you're traveling from US on BA, you CANNOT earn AA miles, only BA miles. Since a trip like this gives you around 10K base miles, it may be an important part of your decision.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 05:46 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Wow, I didn't know that about the miles! Glad you told me that. Thanks! Sounds like it's AA and I'll save close to $50 to spend when I arrive! Thank you both very much for the info!

Tia
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:39 AM
Tia
Original Poster

I booked on AA! We're going to London! I'm going to BUST I'm so excited!! Now, I need a place to stay! Pipe in with any ideas, please!

Tia
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:14 AM

Glad everything worked out!!!

Since AA miles are important to you, you must have a mileage account. So just as a follow up, did you consider upgrading?
It would take 25K each, one-way, and IMHO, worth every mile!

For hotel suggestions, it would help if you give us your likes and dislikes, otherwise, you will get so many confusing suggestions, it will be impossible to figure it out.
Very expensive, expensive, moderate, cheap???
Chain, not a chain???
Modern, classic, old???
Any particular location in mind???

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:38 AM

How much do you want to spend on your accomodation? What type of hotel do you prefer .... contemporary/modern, traditional, etc
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 08:17 AM

I've only flown AA and I will be flying them again at the end of this month to London. The flight service was excellent on my trip both ways. Flight attendants very nice and helpful. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 08:22 AM

Oh, London is great and would love to go back there soon....
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 08:23 AM

You made a good choice. The service and food is often a little better on BA -- but the extra leg room waaaaay more than makes up for that on a long haul flight.

Plus the extra cabin weight allowance means you can likely do the trip with just a rollaboard and not have to check luggage or go through that added hassle.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 08:30 AM

My BIL and his wife brought over only one suitcase and one carry-on, each. BUT, they also brought a couple of folding pieces of luggage for anything they might purchase while they were on holiday. And boy did they ever buy stuff! So when they flew back home, they both checked two pieces of luggage, and still each had the one carry-on. Worked out great.

Might be something you want to try, if you think you might be doing a lot of shopping in London.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 09:12 AM

Congrats Tia! So glad to hear you're not doing the Air India package.

What about bidding on Priceline for a room? Go to biddingfortravel.com & see what other people are getting & how much it's costing.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 10:00 AM

If you'll be staying in London, check out londontown.com for hotel options (it's an online broker). We've used them several times, always been pleased with the rate for a 3 or 4* hotel -- and you know all about your choice. Site is user-friendly, also has theatre info etc.

We've used them for a great rate at Millenium Bailey's in Gloucester Rd. Do an archive search for more on that. Sometimes you get a lower rate as the date gets closer -- but not always.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:41 AM

I recently booked a room throught Londontown.com as well, the Thistle Lancaster Gate for 64 pounds/night (around $105.00 U.S.)-- we're going in November. It's a great site with lots of info.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:15 PM
Intrepid

Well, Miss "Urgency" what is the answer??????????????????????????? We URGENTLY want to know!

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:18 PM

Intrepid, I think if you will READ Tia's response above, you will SEE that she booked AMERICAN.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:19 PM
Tia
Original Poster

As I posted above, I PURCHASED the tickets once I read the two helpful posts. I hate walking on egg shells on this site waiting for someone to jump down someone's throat for asking for advice. That's what this site is for!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:19 PM
Intrepid

No, BettyK..I'm talking about the ROOM that she needs, and then I suppose it'll be what clothes?, where to eat?, etc., etc. Slow day at your office, perhaps?

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:21 PM
Tia
Original Poster

I just went to the biddingfortravel site. People actually are getting four and five star hotels for $100/night. I can't believe that! By the hotel list, you can't go wrong with a 4 or 5, can you? I may just do it once I decide which neighborhood. I'm thinking of Bloomsbury right now. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:23 PM
Tia
Original Poster

THAT'S WHAT THIS SITE IS FOR! Yes, I plan to ask where to eat, what the weather will be like, etc. I've posted on this site and many others answers to travelers in my same shoes, but for other places I've been. I will NOT let posts like yours (Intrepid) stop me from asking sound advice from people who are more than willing to help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -