The Gift of Italian Music

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just returned from Italy to glorious weather in NYC, I couldn't be happier or feeling more generous.

Music is very important to me as it is to most commercial photographers. It often dictates the mood of any photo shoot. On a recent set in Positano, a favorite Italian assistant played a CD that caught my ear and I haven't stopped listening. It's entitled "Duetto," featuring Marcelo Alvarez and Salvatore Licitra. (http://www.duettomusic.com/)

I never could get into the "3 Tenors" because their sound was too shrill and competitive for my delicate ears. Marcelo and Salvatore offer the exact opposite. Their silky, sweet voices, with a gorgeous, harmonic blend, seduce me with every crescendo. This is a great CD for therapy, relaxation and reminiscing everything Italian.

Another favorite (but much harder to find) is, "Alessandro Marcello - CONCERTO FOR OBOE AND STRINGS in D minor - Venice Baroque Orchestra, Accademia di San Rocco (http://www.sanroccofestival.com/discografia.html) I saw this concert years ago in Venice and I will never forget the thrill. I take this CD with me wherever I travel.

There's nothing like visiting a foreign country you love and discovering new music to bring back all your favorite memories with each listen. Salute!

To Fodors eds: Although I may shoot an occasional CD cover, I am not affiliated with and do not work for any recording music label.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Dear NYCFoodSnob,

Thank you so much for recommending Duetto. We bought it and the music is beautiful. We enjoy reading your posts. Please don't stop.

Thanks again,

Kathy and Bob
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Just wanted to say thanks, too, NYCFS. My lover bought the Duetto CD for my birthday yesterday based on your rec and we both love it. You're the best! Keep those replies coming!!!!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:49 PM

And don't forget the incomparable sound of Frank Stallone!

http://www.frankstallone.com/musician.html

To Fodors editors: Although I may shoot my mouth off occasionally, and have just posted the URL to Frank Stallone's &quot;Musician&quot; website, I am not affiliated with Frank Stallone, do not work for Frank Stallone, am not Frank Stallone, and <i>still</i> have not seen Rocky II or Rocky III.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:59 PM
dumas1870

tjoe posts one time and praises the Snob. Yeah, tell me its not PCHsmiles or the Snob playing games. Sad.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:25 PM

Has anyone ever registered on fodors simply to thank dumas1870 for one of his helpful posts? No wonder dumas is sad.

I pulled this from a dumas post dated 6/29/03, &quot;A few snobs may stare, but who cares about those twitts anyhow?&quot; It seems dumas had a &quot;snob&quot; prejudice long before NYCFoodSnob appeared on this board.

What's wrong with being a food snob anyway? Even I prefer fresh basil over dry, imported prosciutto over domestic, and French butter over Land-O-Lakes. Mediocrity and sacrifice at my age is out of the question.

My wife and I have been reading this board for many, many years and I admit, NYCFoodSnob motivated me to register and post. So be it. We like her style. At least she and some of our other favorite fodorites had the good sense to stay away from the political yapping that dumas, and others, fully participated in on the deleted 9/11 thread. My wife reminded me that it's the job of a good host or hostess to make sure social conversation steers clear of politics and religion. My wife and I will gladly accept any dinner party invitation with the foodsnob and pass on any with dumas1870, the blowhard.

Btw, folks, Duetto is great! The little lady and I don't get to record stores much anymore but we still enjoy good classical music. Thank goodness for the internet and thank you NYCFS for this wonderful suggestion. And thank you also for the Morganti coffee mention. My wife is really enjoying her Gran Reserva in her new, stainless steel Bialetti.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, 70stud, for your kind words. (Great username. Sure would love to hear how you came up with that.) I'm glad you and your wife are enjoying &quot;Duetto.&quot; I can't stop playing it. I'm also happy your wife found and enjoyed the Gran Riserva. What a surprise. Morganti isn't easy to get from the States plus it's quite expensive with Italy shipping costs. I pack as much into my luggage each and every time I return from Rome. I just love its rich, mellow flavor. I also own several stainless steel Bialettis and I adore all of them. I use one every morning. I wish you continued joy.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 05:26 AM
PCHsmiles

Oh, let me be the first to thank dumas for his helpful posts. Thanks, Dumas. Feel better now? Sorry I can't stay and chat, but travel awaits.