Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > The folks on this forum are a Turkish Delight

The folks on this forum are a Turkish Delight

Dec 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

The folks on this forum are a Turkish Delight

I popped into fodors.com to buy their latest guidebook on Turkey after tiring of renewing our library's '97 copy and discovered you kind and knowledgeable folks here. Having returned from an 11 day cruise to the Med last month, and having fallen big time for Turkey it is so gratifying to be able to hear all your stories.

Hiring a guide for the brief 2 days we were in Turkey was a decision I made last summer because Istanbul, Ephesus and Pompeii were the main reasons I even agreed to go on this cruise with another couple. We did pick up another couple while on the ship, so the cost came down slightly, and was money definitely well-spent. I emailed Gizem Gencer at ephesustours.biz and easily arranged the addition. By contrast, the day we spent at Pompeii wandering aimlessly - I hadn't brought enough euro with me and could not even rent the audio - was frustrating and disappointing as well as costly.

I may not have explored this forum sufficiently, but am wondering why I've not seen references to the hamams? My spur-of-the-moment visit to a modern facility in Kusadasi on my last evening in Turkey was hilarious and "wildly memorable" - to quote this year's Xmas card - besides being therapeutic with long-lasting effects.

Of course, I've already planned my husband and my return for October-November, 2010, maybe to the region of Lycia. He's a traditional builder of fresh-water wooden boats, so lakes and rivers call to him. I've been reading about all the villas available for rent by the week, and they seem very reasonable. Can anyone recommend one in particular? Or a reason not to go that route? I am most particularly interested in ruins which are, of course, everywhere and in fresh food markets. We had our first fresh figs ever from a vendor in Sirince and have been craving them ever since. Why, btw, beware of the fruit wines there?

And, lastly, thanks for your patience - what exactly is Turkish Delight?
Dec 19th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Turkish Delight is a sweet desert 'square'.

I stayed in Kas an took a day long boat cruise from there that included swim stops, lunch, cruise by Lycean ruins, tombs, and passing over underwater ruins (glass bottom boat, like seeing amphoras).
Dec 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Turkish delight is a traditional chewy sweet made with corn starch and sugar. It is produced long and then cut into half to one inch cubes. May have rose aroma, whole pistacchios, whole hazelnuts, may be covered in coconut flakes or even chocolate. Comes in a box with powdered sugar to prevent sticking to each otheres and fingers. Best brands are Haci Bekir, Divan and Kosla.

I recommend to rent car at Antalya airport a do a wide sweep of the whole area from Manavgat-Side of waterfall, river, rafting to Olu Deniz fethiye.

Staying at Side, Antalya (Kale Ici), Goynuk or Kiris or Tekirova or Cirali, and Kas or Kalkan and Fethiye area.

Do not extend trip to November because November is usually a rainy month in the region with very short days not suitable for sightseeing. Very long evenings are not much fun in small hotels, unless you are into scrabble, backgammon, boggle or such. This year November was very good but do not trust the greenhouse effect too much.

Sirince fruit wines are thought to have fruit aroma rather than the real fruit.

You should have fresh walnuts, quince, tangerines, figs, jujubies, pomegranates, parsimmons, grapes, apples and pears in October. A non-touristy small town with lovely markets and a huge unexcavated and not very well known antique city is Anamur. But quite a bit further East than Side. Still i totally recommend it. (our family photo on my profile was taken there in May)
Dec 19th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Hamams can be fun but also dangerous, because the Scrubbers and the Masseurs usually have no formal training in skin care or massage therapy. Also, the hamam can be bad for someone with some medical problems because it is a combination of public bath, sauna and steam room.

Also, unless you are staying at a large hotel, a spa or a very touristy town, you will not find one.
Dec 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the fast reply. As a keep reading the map, I begin to recognize the place names and to remember their approximate location. Anamur sounds great - especially coming from your experience, otherchelebi. When I went to your profile to have a look, I noted you like reading.
When I returned from Turkey, and after discovering THE turkey traveler website, I came across at my library a book published by Atheneum New York in 1984 by Philip Glazebrook entitled JOURNEY TO KARS, A Modern Traveller in the Ottoman Lands. I enjoyed his writing and can recommend it. The book jacket says, "It is a rare travel book that combines the personal and the scholarly with a good rough trip ....".
Dec 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Michel_Paris - your day trip sounds like something we'd like a lot. Kas seems to be the place; it's mentioned often on this forum. I've seen more than a couple villas offered in the Kas and the Kalkan area.

Search this Thread