The Etiquette of this Site??

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Etiquette of this Site??

Just what are the rules for using this travel "talk" site? I ask after reading the messages re meanness.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:39 PM

To the extent there are any, they're listed above the left hand column, under the heading "Rules"
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

I was referring more, I think, to the people who complained about "trolls" and others who don't understand how to use the site. I did not know exactly what those comments were about.
Thank you, though. I did read the official rules.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Just hang in there;you'll catch on soon enough.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:03 PM

And if you don'T, just pretend you do and it's the rest of us who are wrong

Don't sweat the small stuff. Forget using irony- it doesn't travel well- and remember that some people have no sense of humour.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:24 PM

And some people -- those who lack the clear, gel-like mass that fills the space between the lens and the retina -- have no vitreous humor.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Deep, capo.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:36 PM
rfb

As far as I can tell, there is no etiquette on this site. Anything you post is subject to instant and vitreolic attack. You can be as mean and hateful as you want and personally savage other posters, secure in the knowledge, that, if you go too far, the moderators will remove your post if not the whole thread.

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Or, as two apparant regulars called it..."swiping their claws" at each other in the Coffee in Paris thread.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:43 PM

RFB: Sort of like the real world.Someone says something that you disagree with and if you have the courage you dispute there views.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:49 PM

I don't think we really need rules spelled out for us , do we? Just be polite and keep a sense of humor..that sort of thing gets you along in life as well as the internet.
It is difficult sometimes to catch when someone is joking or being sarcastic, I have made that mistake before, you can't let any of it bother you though..after all, hardly any of us really know each other and how much can a total stranger bother you?
I looked at the Coffee in Paris thread, what are you referring to?
It might help sometimes ( I do it all the time now) click on a posters name and see how they post on other threads and how long they have been posting.
Some have their own personalities that stay the same-some are dropping in each day with a new screen name just to be nasty.
Best advice, a friend told me not that long ago and I should remember it too...
It is Only the Internet!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM

And don't forget your aqueous humor, either!!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:18 PM
rex

"only the internet"? Does that mean there are no such things as good or bad manners when you go to "only the movies"? does it not matter what you do when you are "just in the elevator"?

I've been criticized for self-declaration of what are or are not "rules of etiquette" here on this forum here...

I agree that there is an expectation that you just "figure them out" by seeing how others use the forum.

But if these don't seem clear to you, these are my observations of what constitutes (relatively) proper etiquette here...

1. DO use a meaningful informative message header, ideally (when applicable) with the name(s) of the relevant destination(s) mentioned; thus, as corollary, don't resort to "simpler" attention-grabbing mesage headers like "Help!", or "Do you know?" or "Can you tell me?" - - it's akin to standing up in a restaurant and shouting "Hey waiter!"

2. On the subject of shouting, do use "normal" upper and lower characters in both the message header and text of your posting; do NOT type in all upper case characters; especially for entire sentences or paragraphs.

3. Do not post the same question, especially with the same message header, repeatedly, in rapid succession, as if you can not get over having to wait an hour or two (or 24? or 48?) to get an answer. DO use "topping" if necessary to improve your chances of someone providing a reply. (This "faux pas" probably occurs at times when a newbie doesn't understand how to find a posting from aa short peroid earlier).

4. Similarly, perhaps due to not understanding where a post has "landed", DO post any corrections or clarifications to a post ON that same thread; do not make a separate post saying "Oh, and I forgot to add..."

That's my short list.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

I feel well educated now. Thank you.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Me too.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Beatchick, one of the things I really like about you is that we share the same sense of clear, gel-like mass that fills the space between the lens and the retina.

And to make this somewhat travel-related what do people think of Scotland's legendary Mean Ness monster? Does anyone think it's real?
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:03 PM

capo -

I think it's been killed.....
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Now, Capo, dear heart, how exactly does a MEAN compare to a LOCH?? Is a MEAN smaller than a LOCH (i.e. that's a mean MEAN and that's a lot of LOCH)!!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:35 PM

My favorite is ... bada bing bada bang ... Good Humor. And I mean that in all senses of the words.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:54 PM

LOL, Marilyn!! Better good humor than *vitreolic* humor!! But that's us getting away from the Mean Ness again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -