The dollar in Europe question.

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dollar in Europe question.

I was planning a 23 day trip to both France and Italy this summer with my husband and two children. I was shock to find hotel rates on average of $300 to $400 dollars a night. We had visited Europe last summer, staying at a four star hotel, including breakfast for about $200 a night. Is this the effects of the dollar being so low, and do you think they'll be special deals closer to summer to encourage tourism? I know last year there were a lot of specials. Any thoughts? Now I'm thinking of going to Costa Rica and waiting for a healthier exchange rate.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 11:46 AM

The dollar has declined further against the Euro, but not nearly enough to cover the disparities you are reporting. The greenback was already heading south last summer and the difference between then and now is only around 10%, depending on the exact dates you want to compare. It is possible that there will be special deals and if you are comparing the specials of last summer against what may well be rack rates that are being shown this early on, that would explain a lot.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Well, if you are worried about money why are you looking at four star hotels. I'm sorry but I can never understand people who want to stay in Lux hotels and then complain about the cost. If you really want to go to France and Italy you can most certainly find places to stay for four people for under $200. Two years ago my husband and I and our two children did a 22 day trip to France and Italy and the most we spent was 150 euro a night - and everywhere we stayed was central, had AC, ensuite and included breakfast (except for the breakfast in France which is ususally not included). Most of the places we stayed were considerably less than that. Even with the lousy exchange rate that's under $200 for four people - and I am NOT talking about budget hotels, just "reasonable" ones.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 12:47 PM

I agree with Isabel. If you say that hotels are on "average" $300 to $400 a night, then you're really looking at splurge places. That's a very high average. If you want total luxury, of course it won't be cheap. What cities are we talking about by the way?

I realize we all have different standards and some people aren't willing to compromise luxury. If you are one of those, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. There's no reason to think that the hotel that was $200 a night last year wouldn't have the same sort of special this year -- maybe $225 instead.

Or you could do what I'm doing this year. I'm booking what appear to be really nice apartments in several locations and they will be far less than the hotels I paid for in the same cities over the past few years.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Thanks for the responses. I don't need nor am looking to stay at a four star hotel. We just happened to get a deal last summer at a four star hotel. Those were the average prices I was seeing last month on Expedia. I just went on and noticed some summer rates posted. I think flyboy was corrected, it might be too early. How soon do you book ? Everyone says that the summer is the busiest time to travel (I'm stuck travelling in the summer) and to book early. Also, any suggestions as to where to stay with two adults and two children?
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 12:55 PM
JonJon

Face facts, as long as the present US political administration continues to pursue its very well-documented "weak dollar" policy I doubt you'll see much relief unless there are a lot of "deals" that suddenly become available to lure American tourists abroad. However, some of those "vacancies" are going to be taken by European tourists who, ujnlike Americans, traditionally don't plan trips months and months in advance.

I suspect the rise in prices should be at about the same percentage as the dollar has "slipped" against the Euro and I'm sorry but when I was in Europe last year the dollar was, as I recall, at about "par" with the Euro and thus, it has slipped a bit more than "10%."

Trips will cost more now and you are obviously facing the question a lot of people are hoping, if they wait long enough, not to face: do I pay more for the same thing and go to Europe or do I start looking at alternative destinations. Patrick has already voiced one alternative: booking cheaper accommodations and others will do the same. Some will rationalize that decision by convincing themselves that these alternatives are "just as good" and, hopefully, they will out to be just that.

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The euro last July 3 was at $1.08.What's it now, $1.27? That's 19/108, or about 1/6 more(less).

All those who want a better exchange rate, and willing to acknowledge that such would cause job cuts at US firms which export goods, honk twice as you leave the country.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Booking hotels in Europe, Expedia can be a bit on the high side. There are other sites that offer more reasonable rates for hotels, B&Bs and apts. in Europe.

In Paris we use http://www.france.com/ and have had very good luck with them. They show pictures and give sometimes brutally honest reviews from "real" people who have stayed in the various hotels.

In the rest of France we use the Logis de France chain (in English) at http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/ and, again, have had very good luck with them.

Others on this board have mentioned venere.com and some others. You could do a search on this site for the various areas you plan to visit. We heard about Go-Today.com on this site and have just booked a terrific price for a trip to Rome this spring. Lower prices are out there; you just have to look for them. Fodor's is a great place to start!

Whatever your decision, enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Actually for booking more luxurious hotels way in advance, there's another secret. While I normally choose three star places, last year we stayed at the beautfiful new Le Meridien in Munich because I booked it direct on their website for just over $ 100 a night -- way in advance (maybe 10 months). By two months before the lowest price they offered was something like 350 euro. I did the same with the Hyatt in Stuttgart -- amazing web special on their site by booking months ahead. This year I'm doing the same with LeMeridien in Lyon.

By the way, do watch those websites, as their lowest price may have a totally non refundable and non-cancel policy and may require full payment at time of booking. None of the ones I took required any of that.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 02:54 PM

The original poster was looking at a comparison from last summer. The comparison I offered was therefore not for a year, but from last SUMMER until now. It is true that in December 2002, the dollar was close to par with the U.S. dollar. It is also true that the dollar has slipped much more than 10 percent against the Euro over the past couple of years. But comparisons for different periods will yield grossly different results. (In December 1998, the "Euro" was worth around $1.18 U.S., for example. Is it very helpful to know that the difference between then and now is less than 7%? No, because it is not applicable to the issue raised.)

My information shows the rate was 1.1545 USD per Euro on July 3, 2003 (not 1.08) and 1.2568 USD per Euro today (not 1.27, but much closer anyway). That difference is slightly less than nine percent.

Jan. 12, 2004, the Euro was at its highest level against the dollar and was worth $1.2833. For exactly the past year, the difference is slightly less than 12 percent.

The highest value of the dollar to the Euro that I can spot quickly is the rate of Feb. 1, 2002. At that time, slightly less than 86 U.S. cents bought a Euro. Comparing that extreme with the Jan. 12, 2004 rate would show a difference of around than 46 percent -- interesting, but not very useful for the purposes of the comparison the poster was trying to make, either.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM

It sounds like you may be comparing summer rates to spring rates, or something. In France, many hotels have lower rates in July-August. However, I suspect it's just what you are turning up in Expedia. I wouldn't use them to book a hotel nor to look at stuff, as I think they mainly show things that they want to promote (I've never figured out the order, don't think there is one) and more expensive hotels. Even on Expedia, I don't think avg. French hotel rates are $300-400.

I just looked at it through the shortcut front page (build your trip, hotels only) for Paris in July, and only 4* hotels were $200-300. There weren't any that were $400, and the only one higher was the Crillon was is 4*L and one of the most expensive hotels. The 3* hotels were $100-150. A lot of the 4* hotels like the Lutetia were only $250-300, and the 4* Waldorf Madeleine was only $200.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM

We travel to Paris with our kids every summer - have for the past 12 years. Last year we paid about $200 for a quad or two doubles. This year, with the dollar sinking, it will be about $230, but not a significant difference and certainly not enough to change our plans.

We don't stay in 4* hotels, either. If you're concerned about the price hike (and I just don't think the one you quoted is accurate or reasonable), check out 3* and 2* hotels. Paris is famous for having fabulous little hotels that are not expensive, even with the dip in the dollar.

Forget Expedia. Check out the hotel websites and contact them directly. I always get a better deal by talking to the actual person at the desk.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:30 PM

If you really want to visit France and Italy then you should no matter what shape the dollar is in. Yeah, it's horrible now but travel takes precedence. Suggestions to stay in either 2* or 3* hotels are beneficial. That can cut your costs alot. I agree to communicate with the hotel directly instead of with Expedia.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Author: Cronen
Date: 01/17/2004, 11:47 pm

Thanks for all the input. I just discussed it with my husband again and we decided our hearts were set on going to Italy and France, so we off and planning. Are a lot of people planning for summer trips to Europe or do most feel it's too soon.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 08:30 PM

Lots of people plan a year or more in advance. My main concern about a summer trip to France and Italy would be the heat.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 09:27 PM

It's not too soon at all now to plan for summer. A year or more in advance is not out of the question either.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:37 AM
ira

Hi

Definitely start your planning now.

Make hotel reservations that are cancellable at least as close as a week inn advance.