Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Die Has Been Cast! We have tickets for Athens!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought one ticket and used FF miles for the other ticket, April 7 - 19, Atlanta to Athens Greece! I am so excited!!! I will be calling on all of you Greece experts! So for starts...
How do I find the cheaper flights to Santorini? When does Aegean Airlines usually have a sale? Thank you!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM

Congratulations on booking Greece.
You should sign up on Aegeans website for their promotional e mails. When they have a seat sale they will e mail you directly. Last year we got a one way fare for 19 euros plus taxes which worked out to under 50 Euros.
They just announced a seat sale a couple of weeks ago but it only went up to March. We could expect another sale announcement sometime in November or December but that is just a guess.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM

The promo saver fares for Aegean Airlines usually come out a couple of months before a designated time period. It can be a nervous waiting game but they will appear. Be patient so you can save serious money.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Brotherlee,I will have to be patient we are doing this on a budget. Any suggestions will be welcome.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 07:58 PM
wug

I had a big smile on my face for you when I read your excitement! Congrats on those tickets! You are absolutely going to fall in LOVE with Greece. I left part of my heart there the first time I went in 1985. Luckily I've been back many times to be able to reconnect with that part of my heart.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Something to consider: Fight through the jet lag and fly to Santorini the same day you arrive in Athens. If you're planning to spend any time in Athens, save it for the end of your trip so you have a day or two built in to your itinerary to return to the mainland for your flight home. Flights are seldom cancelled or delayed, but nothing will ruin your vacation faster than a last-minute stress-filled scramble to get back to Athens on the same day you need to fly home.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 09:00 AM

In case you're flying over on Delta..would also sign up for Olympic's email alerts as well! Delta and Olympic and co-oping as Continental is w/Aegean..chances are you'd be able to check luggage through on arrival for the transfer to Santorini from Athens;-) Have fun..and EnjoY!
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

We are considering going to Santorini first, I see the logic in that but I am a little worried that we will have a delay and miss the flight. Also, OMG will we be tired, walking zombies.
Litsa, that is good advice, yes, we are on a Delta flight.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 11:01 PM

Hi marlib,

Aegean indeed has some good price offers, but when I flew from Athens to Santorini a few years ago I got a cheaper ticket price from Olympic. Athens Airport is tiny compared with Atlanta, and it shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes to get through passport control and reach the Aegean or Olympic ticket counter. Pick a flight with at least three hours layover, and you have little worry about delays causing you to miss it.

>>OMG will we be tired, walking zombies.<< No doubt you will -- all the more reason to go straight to Santorini! The trip by air to Santorini is 50 minutes, about the same length of time it takes to get from the airport to central Athens. Okay, you will have a short taxi ride when you get to the island, but then you can chill out. I would much rather unwind on an island than in Athens. Save Athens for the end of the trip when you are rested, and have the energy to take in all it's wonderful sights.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM

You'll certainly be lagged..but agree w/Heimdall..no better place to get your land legs back than at an isle! You'll be at the airport anyway..give yourselves a good 3 hour spread and take in a morning coffee at one of the cafes there..or head across the Street to the Sofitel if you've got time! Athens airport is new, modern and super convenient as well..all under 1 roof or terminal building so easy to get around..and no getting lost here! Connecting straight through is a huge timesaver w/no backtracking and added packing/unpacking;-) Keep enjoyin'!