Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! (re Airfares from Athens to Greece)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:10 PM
will

Does anyone know of cheap airfares from Athens to Rome in late November? Had booked our first trip ever for wife and family of 4, flying from USA into Athens, and return flying out of Rome. Had seen a website "Europe by Air" which advertised $99 for Athens-Rome or Athens-Naples. But when I called today, they were very uninterested and said, "flights all booked" and then "flights no longer offered." Talk about disappointment! Now the cheapest I can find is over US$250 each (for a total of over $1000, for what looks like a one hour flight). Ouch! Would very much appreciate any kind suggestions!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Ruth

I hope you manage to find a better fare, but have you considered a ferry? They are still sailing in November, according to http://www.greekferries.gr/pricetable.htm<BR><BR>(and links on that page). It would probably mean Athens - bus - Patras - overnight ferry to Bari or Ancona - then train or bus to Rome, but the fares at that time of year seem quite low. <BR><BR>But November might be a problem in terms of rough seas and cancelled sailings. Hope you are lucky with a flight.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Bill

Airfares from Athens to Greece?<BR><BR>This is not very clear.<BR>Athens is in Greece

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:49 AM
will

Sorry, Bill, of course you are right. The title should have been "Athens to Rome". My mistake. I was upset because had just learned that the $99 x 4 airfare from Athens to Rome had become a $255 x 4 airfare (for a total of over $1,000). Also, later found out that it's actually a 2 hour flight (guess there's a 1 hour time change). Still, $255 seems awfully expensive for a 2 hour flight. Guess it's an air monopoly. Wish I could find something cheaper. <BR>P.S. (Found out later I could fly from Athens to Brussels to Rome for $200, but would have to overnight in Brussels so not feasible).

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Traveler

I found a good fare rt Rome-Athens $183.50 on Aegean air and found that flying on days other than Monday, Friday or Saturday gave us better fares. Good luck!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:04 AM
will

Thanks very much, Traveler!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Danielle

I am also looking for info on travel from Italy to Greece. It seems to be cheaper to take an overnight ferry all the way and forget the air travel. I looked at that site that Ruth mentioned and they have cabins for a family of up to five. You may want to look into that. As far as my question, does anyone have an idea how much it would cost for me to travel by myself from Venice to the island of Symi in August? I would also appreciate if anyone can tell me if this boat goes directly there or if I have to transfer to another on on the mainland.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 02:16 PM
will

Update. Just checked the Aegean Air website. They now charge EU 248 for Athens-Rome one way.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:21 AM
xxx

Check out Olympic Airways. They fly from Rome as well.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Danielle

I am also looking for info on travel from Italy to Greece. It seems to be cheaper to take an overnight ferry all the way and forget the air travel. I looked at that site that Ruth mentioned and they have cabins for a family of up to five. You may want to look into that. As far as my question, does anyone have an idea how much it would cost for me to travel by myself from Venice to the island of Symi in August? I would also appreciate if anyone can tell me if this boat goes directly there or if I have to transfer to another on on the mainland.