Reload this Page >

The Corries - Scottish group

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 09:12 AM
Erika

<BR>Last year I went to a local Scottish festival and purchased a CD - The Corries. I love the group and wonder if anyone knows how I can find out where they will be touring - plan to be in London for 3-4 weeks next March and would like to visit Scotland (again) and would go to whichever city/town in which The Corries are performing.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 09:46 AM
Sheila

Actually, given that they are 50% dead, they don't do much touring these days. <BR> <BR>Ronnie Brown died suddenly a few years ago. Roy Williamson performs solo, now and again, but it is not an economic necessity, so not very often. <BR> <BR>They are (or, at least, Ronnie Brown was) the authors of Scotland's self appointed national anthem,"The Flower of Scotland" <BR> <BR>There are dozens of albums though. You could try Amazon for net based purchasing.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 10:14 AM
Erika

<BR>Sheila - thank you so much (I think!) for your quick reply -- given that I had not a clue that one had died. I guess I am really behind the times --- do you know of any other group which is similar to The Corries, in the type of songs/ballads they sing? I so enjoy the "traditional" type music and would dearly like to hear some ---

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 01:04 PM
Sheila

Try the MacCalmans; in my opinion they are nearest, but there are hundreds of good folk singers in Scotland. Send me your snail mail address; I'll try to get you a good directory of scottish traditional folk musicians. It's what we listen to all the time.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 01:15 PM
Sheila

Erika <BR> <BR>I just searched "Scottish folk" on Yahoo and got some terific hits. Too many to post all the URLs, but you might like to have a look. It did remind me of another band like the Corries- Gaberlunzie- See if anything off the web interests you and give me an e-mail and I'll let you have any info available in my house.