The cell phone answer in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've searched this site for a simple answer to how to best have access to a cell phone in Europe while traveling. This is what I did and it worked out GREAT:

1) Bought an unlocked phone and italian sim card (travelled to Italy). Search the web and you'll find many places that will sell you this.
2) My wife needed her clients to be able to reach her in case of an emergency, but didn't want them to have to call long distance to Italy, so we found this GREAT service were you get an 800-number to give folks in the US and then they dial it and the call is forwarded to your cell phone (or any phone # you give them) at a VERY low rate. And since incoming calls on cell phones in Italy are free, all you pay for is the 800-call use. Your clients don't even know where they're calling. (http://www.aitelephone.com/followme.html)

This worked out really well. We were able to use the phone to call information when we got lost, confirm reservations...it was truly a relief to have it.

Pablo
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 03:27 AM

Another service to try is Global Phone. They are located at gphone.com, and I've had really good luck with their service. The cost/minute from Europe to the US is approx 20 cents, and of course incoming calls are free so people in the states can get to you very inexpensively.

Best wishes, Dave
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Bootman4U

So, how many of your wife's clients actually called her?

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:58 AM

I'll go one step further; get remote call forwarding on your home land line...forward all calls to your home line to the 800 number (free) and then calls are forwarded via 800 number to your cell phone; small problem is that sometimes takes up to 15 seconds to forward calls and some callers do not recognize European ring tones and hang up before call is completed
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:13 AM

I assume that you may not already have a cell phone. You'd be surprised that Sprint and T-Mobile (from USA) are easily reached in Europe, with roaming, and all your callers do is call your regular number. Add roaming to your plan so that it isn't extra. Or am I all wet?
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Kasmir:

Really?! I didn't realize that. I thought you had to have a special tri-band phone in order for it to be useful in Europe. Are you saying that my regular US cell phone will be accessible in Europe? I already have free long-distance and no roaming on my plan, so if I could be reachable with just my regular cell phone by people in the states, that would be great.

Jennie
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:51 AM

To follow up on my own post, according to T-Mobile you DO have to have a tri-band phone to receive calls on your US cell phone in Europe. You also have to have International Roaming--not just US roaming.

Just FYI,
Jennie
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Not only do you have to have a multi-band phone, but the international roaming rates are very high. That's what I have thru AT&T wireless, but I use it basically for emergencies. The convenient part is you use the same phone and phone number as you do at home, but it doesn't make sense if you'll be doing a lot of calling. The rates are well over $1 a minute.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:12 PM

I've used my T-mobile cell phone which has International roaming capabilies in France, Germany, Netherlands, Russia, and Switzerland. It works great.I call anywhere from there, and others just dial my normal local phone # and it rings where ever I am at.The roaming charges are a bit hefty, so I would refrain from any long conversations, but it is very convenient.