The best way to tour Europe/Russia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are looking at a way to tour parts of Europe. We would like someting like a cruise, river cruise or a group tour. We would like to take in England, Germany and Russia,etc. We were looking at something like a 10-14 day tour in September or October, 2009.
Thanks, Tom, from Cleveland,Ohio
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:04 AM

It's unlikely (but not impossible) that you can find a tour that will take you to all three destinations you named. I would suggest you do your own planning for a flight to England, then take a train to mainland Europe and start a regular guided riverboat tour from there.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:11 AM

Don't want to be discouraging but visiting those 3 countries - and etc - in 10 to 14 days really isn;t doable. (This is like saying you want to see New York, Chicago, San Francisco and then do a Missisippi river cruise in 10 days - just won't happen on any tour - and not even really possible with your own arrangements - unless the cruis is 1 day.

It's a huge amount of territory to cover - unless yuo want to spend 4 days each in London, Berlin and St Pet - and fly in between. Seeing any of the countryside would be limited to a day trip taken out of the 4 days in ach city. And that wold require a 14 day trip - since yuolose a whole day when you move from one city to another.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM

You may need to discuss this further amongst yourselves, with a good map in hand.

You can't "take in England, Germany & Russia" in ten days, you can barely do just London and a few local daytrips in ten days.

You can't take in Germany in ten months, let alone ten days.

And huge ol'Russia?

These countries are substantial distances apart. Even if you regroup and resign yourselves to seeing just one city in each of these countries, you'll still be spending a lot of time getting from one to the next, packing, unpacking, finding the new lodgings...

But let's work with this idea of just one important location in each country, for example:

How about something like this:

Day 1 fly across the pond, arrive the next morning.
Days 2-3-4-5 in/around London.
Day 6 move to Munich.
Days 7-8-9 in/around Munich.
Day 10 fly to St. Petersburg.
Days 11-12-13 in/around St. Petersburg.
Day 14 fly home.

I doubt that there is a tour company with that schedule on their books, but who knows? But
I think a good travel agent could put together such a package for you that would work.

It should probably involve an open-jaw ticket, what the airline search sites call "multi-city" - flying into London and home from St. Petersburg. Travel agents can do that, too.

Now you have to realize that this type of schedule involves three different languages, cultures, types of food etc. - to many here that would be too much in too short a time, more confusing than memorable. But it is certainly your call.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM

I think your best chance is to look for a Baltic cruise as they often start in the UK, take in some of northern Europe (sometimes a day trip to Germany) and usually finish up in Russia.

I don't think you'll get all your 3 chosen countries in any thing less than a 14 day version, and you won't get much time in them as there are lots of other stops too. You'd need to add a few days to the start to see something of England before you set off.

If you are flexible about exactly where you want to go and for how long, this would at least let you touch land in your chosen countries.

But really you'd be better off flying between the 3 countries and doing it yourself as it's not an obvious tour itinerary.