Reload this Page >

the best transportation, car or train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Bob

Yesterday I asked whether taking a car or train from Milan to Florence was better and this is a follow up. According to Mappy, the drive is about 3 hours taking the express route so time wise it is doable. How about the parking in Florence? The only time we were there was on a tour so we did not have to experience the parking issue if there is one. From other postings it appears most people advise not having a car either in Florence or Venice. My wife and I are thinking about taking the train from Milan (our entry point) to Florence, renting a car there and driving to Tuscany. We depart from Venice and I am not sure what to do about the car once we begin the last leg of our trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Rex

Parking in florence is a challenge - - more so for a day visitor than for a hotel guest - - but both are difficult.<BR><BR>I would probably recommend renting the car to take three days to meander from Florence to Venice and turn it there (of course).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:45 AM
jp

i agree with Rex.<BR>driving around tuscany is the best way to see it. <BR>as for a car in venice...you'll have to leave it at Venezia Mestre station and take the train into Venezia S. Lucia station anyway so you might want to either leave it in florence first [which would mean going back] or find a way to drop it off on your way to venice.<BR><BR>hth<BR>JP

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:54 AM
bob

OK, so the train is the way to go from Milan. How difficult is it to get to the train station from the airport and how is that accomplished? By the way Rex, you were very helpful with great suggestions that made our two week driving trip in France successful and I wanted to thank you.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Rex

The compliment is much appreciated. I have actually never flown into Malpensa (only Linate) but search this forum for Malpensa and you will earn about the Malpensa - - which might actually be a bus, if memory serves me correctly. I think you can find info about quite a good website for Malpensa also.<BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:50 AM
anon

http://www.airwise.com/airports/europe/MXP/MXPtran1.html<BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 12:52 PM
up

up<BR>