The Best Restaurants in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like some reccomendations on what your favorite Restaurant is in Rome and why.

Cheap or expensive. Looking for one special dinner that me, my wife and friends can look back on years later and say "remember when we ate at. . . . "
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:36 PM

I am heading to Rome the end of the month and plan to visit a few new and old favorite restaurants.

I love Orso 80 on Via Dei Orso not too far from Piazza Navonna. It is often mentioned on this site (by me and others). They have a great and abundant antipasti- they bring bowl of all types of wonderful foods to the table. You do not even need to order a main course- this, their great flat bread, and a bottle of wine makes a great meal.

We also ate in a very off-beat restaurant in Trastevere on rainy night called Antico Moro on Via Del Moro- and had great pizza. It was so delicious we ordered a second. The staff and locals were right out of a Fellini movie.

We enjoyed Myosotis for a more formal dinner. Again not too far from the Pantheon. This was one of the more expensive restaurants that we dined at.

As vegetarians in need of a pasta break we dined several times at Insalata Ricca near the Campo Fiori.

Dining out in Italy is an experience. Sometimes it is the trattoria that no one ever mentions, off the beaten track, that turns up to be the most amazing dining experience of your trip-the food,the wine, the ambience, the staff, and the insanity that makes it an Italian expereince.

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:42 AM
DRJ

I've eaten a couple of times at Orso 80 and their antipasti are overwhelming.

My very favorite in Rome has to be 'Gusto at the corner of via della Frezza and via del Corea, a few blocks northwest of Piazza Spagna. Its a wild place with the young waitstaff hustling at all times. If you've been to Mario's Otto in NYC this seems to be the prototype. A lively bar, one section with communal tables, another full dining area, upstairs dining, the whole experience. You can get wine by the liter, plates of salumi and/or cheese or a complete dinner. The old handcranked proscuitto slicer never stops. What fun. I wouldn't think of visiting Rome without a meal at 'Gusto.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 07:02 AM

In addition to replies and resources here, check out SlowTrav.com for reviews and a lot of other information about food in Rome and Italy. Here is the site:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/food/index.htm

--Marv
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Dino and Tony's. Near the Vatican. Small, local (few tourists), great food (and lot's of it), inexpensive, and of course....Dino & Tony.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Ditirambo in the Campo de' Fiori area is great. Loved the fun and hip atmosphere at 'Gusto, food was good but the service was terrible. Disappointing after a great start.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:41 AM

I would not go to Rome and fail to eat at Il Ciak in Trastevere. You will need a reservation and they don't/won't speak English. You will not find many tourists there.

They specialize in game and when you walk in you see a big open fire where the meat is grilled. Fungi soup to die for. Veal chops you will dream about. Just good food in a "nothing to write home about" ambiance. A great place to drink, eat and stay all night with friends.

At the other extreme, I enjoyed dinner at the Hassler Hotel, more for the view than the food although it was good, if not a bit overpriced
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:45 AM

I've posted this before but our favorite restaurant in rome is a little place called Mario's; its near the forum and across the street/alleyway from the opera. We loved the place - the owner is also the maitre de; the menu changes daily based on what is available; we sat outside one evening and then went back two nights later. He greeted us like long lost relatives! Had a glass of grappe with us after the meal, created a 'special dinner justa for you' that was outstanding. Our hotel was a little surprised we even knew about the place - its not a dive by any means with white table cloths, etc. A neighbor told us about it and we followed suit.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 12:22 PM

My three favorite restaurants in Rome were:

Osteria del Pegno- Piazza Navona area
Vicolo di Montevecchio,8
Wonderful salad and pasta, very nice waiter.

Osteria Le Streghe- right around the corner from our apartment on Via di Panico.
Vicolo del Curato, 13
I had polenta with meat sauce that I still crave.

Alle Fratte di Trastevere
Via delle Fratte di Trastevere
Great service, lots of locals, and tasty pizza.

One of these days I'll get my trip report done...

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 08:42 PM

Well, there are so many good restaurants, large and small, that it's tough to decide. I particularly like Camponeschi for its great food, ambience, and service, La Terrazza at the Hotel Eden for its food and view, and Arrosto Toscano for its food, especially the antipasti. Enjoy your visit.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:03 AM

In my opinion the best restaurant in Rome is Myosotis, in Vicolo della Vaccarella (close to the Panteon). It is not very cheap (40/50 euro) but you'll enjoy fantastic food and extraordinaries wines. It wil be an amazing experience