The BEST discovery of this Paris trip.

Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

The BEST discovery of this Paris trip.

We were wandering around the Pont Neuf end of the Île de la Cité because the restaurant recommended to us hadn't opened yet for dinner (it was about 6:30 and they opened at 7pm) and at the entrance to Place Dauphine on Rue du Pont Neuf was a little wine bar...the Taverne Henri VI.

THIS IS THE BEST PLACE WE WERE AT IN NINE DAYS!!!!! (We went back 3 times; I would have gone back for a 4th...or 5th, but there wasn't time. Hell....I would have LIVED there if Deb would have let me.)

The proprieture & his wife were wonderful, fun, funny, warm and engaging and whose English was better than our French (not hard to do..). Interestingly...so were the 4 or 5 tables of customers that were there each time we went (it has 2 rows of small tables, about 16 in total).

Each time we had a 1/2 carafe of wine (pick any...every one we had was very drinkable) and the cheese plate (4 or 5 different cheeses + wonderful small rounds of dark bread) for one ....which easily satisfied 2 (I can't IMAGINE what the cheese plate for 2 would feed).

This is, without qualification, the BEST CHEESE I've ever had at one place!!!!

I can't say enough for this bar; it stood out head and shoulders above any of the 20 other restaurants/brassieres/cafes/bistros we ate at.

Oh...and it's (relatively) INEXPENSIVE..unlike the other 20 places.

If you go...tell them that you're there because of the "deux vieux, gros Americaines from San Francisco"....maybe he'll remember. (Regretably...we never got their names.)

I can hardly wait to go back again.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:30 AM

The cheese plates for dessert in Paris are fabulous. I had one at the Le Relais de Saint-Paul restaurant (near Marais) that was enough to serve 3 people! It was heaven! There were 5 different kinds of cheese on my plate. 3 would have been fine!

Oh, I ate evet bit!

Here is the link to my review on my blog;

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartp...ais_de_sa.html

Le Relais Saint Paul, 33 rue Francois Miron, 75004 Paris, tel 01 48 87 34 20
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:47 AM

Thanks for this info. I'll look for it when I go in March!
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info! My husband and I must have walked by there at least 20 times when we were in Paris last summer, but I never even saw the place!
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:02 AM

Leaving for the airport in 1 hour. Why can't I picture where this is..........
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Oooops....sorry....address is:

13, Place du Pont Neuf

Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:20 AM

just wondering if there were other items besides cheese plates on the menu.
Desserts?
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:59 AM

The problem with ordering those delicious cheeses from the tray is that the portions are so BIG. We finally learned to let the server lay out a selection and then say that it would suffice for both of us.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:24 PM

I suspect that it is the Taverne Henri IV and not Henri VI since it must be close to the Square du Vert Galant.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:19 PM

Thank you for this tip! My son and DIL may be headed to Paris for a belted wedding gift, and this sounds like a wonderful place for them to try. (I will certainly look for it the next time we are there, which I hope is sooner rather than later!)
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
dln

Ramblero, the Taverne Henri IV (not VI)is a very famous and well-respected wine bar in Paris. It's been around for more than fifty years. The owners buy their wines directly from the wine growers and then bottle it themselves in the cave below the bar. It's a wine drinker's heaven, as you found out!

Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:07 PM

This may be viewed by some as a stupid, naive question, but anyway, why does it seem that wine and cheese complement each other, and make the other appreciated all the more, UNLIKE seemingly any other combinations I can think of? Being a left-brained person, I tend to think there must be a biochemical reason for this, of which someone out there is aware.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:02 PM

I think it's sort of a chicken or the egg question -- wine and cheese belong together.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:24 PM

I don't think wine goes better with cheese than anything else, but generally foods high in protein and fat (like cheese or steak) go well with wine because they counteract the tannins in the wine.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:20 AM

and red wine 'counteracts' with the fat (cholesterol)...
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:47 AM

If it is in fact true that the "red wine counteracts the fat" can the "wine diet" be far behind?????
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Mon Dieu!!!!! * slaps forehead * Mais oui....of course it IS IV, not VI!!!! * dyslexia apparently setting in at an old age *

Oh....and there are other things on the menu. In fact, quite a few, but we never got that far, as we were always on our way to dinner somewhere. (It's a GREAT end-of-the-day-after-spending-7-or 8-hours-going-through-museums-and-galleries and-sights kind of place to tide you over 'till dinner.)

As I said, I wish we had had more time just to "hang out" and see how the place changed during the day.

Now that we've seen much of the major Paris sights, I really look forward to the next trip where I just wander around neighborhoods, poking dead things with a stick (my idea of traveling; Deb's is rushing by taxi or train or plane from one museum/gallery/architectural wonder to the next on a kind of Sherman's-March-through-Georgia, leave no prisoners approach. Both have their merits, but I'm always exhausted and feeling like I haven't gotten to "know" the place.)

Next is 8 days skiing in the Alps and a 10 days in Sicily or Greece or ??? in March. Wish me luck.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:03 PM

Have you ever had a glass of orange juice just after you have brushed your teeth? If you really want to know why some cheeses go well with some wines this article is excellent.
http://www.springhillcheese.com/jerry.html
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:45 PM

so, um, what other things were on the menu? Just curious. I'd probably do just wine & cheese, myself, but sometimes I crave other things.
Mar 29th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Ramblero,

I really enjoyed reading your humorous post! Because of you, I am going out of my way to search for this fantastic wine-and-cheese-bar that you mentioned.

Thanks!

--Betty

Search this Thread