Reload this Page >

The @#$ "artist" again

Search

The @#$ "artist" again

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 08:56 AM
Boots

The @#$ "artist" again

This morning I got my third or fourth message from this pest. He didn't mean to offend, and if I no longer want to receive his e-mails, I must inform him. Otherwise, he assumes I want his information and it will keep coming. I informed him! Did I set myself up for more of his trash?

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 09:27 AM
Anita

I think that means your guilty of interest in his artwork until proven innocent of bad taste. Do you think if everyone on this forum sent him a message in advance, at the same time, that we don't want his "artwork" he might go prey on someone else?

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 09:30 AM
xx

Perhaps you should respond and tell the artist how much you need some art for your home and entire office suite. Have him send pics and lots of other marketing material. Then, when you're about to seal the deal, tell him you can't do business with him because he is a spammer. That ought to get the message across.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 10:52 AM
Bob Brown

Is there any way you can set up a filter to block messages from specific addresses? <BR>I got some mail from the same guy and I erased it without even opening it. <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 10:57 AM
just

You can block e-mails if you use a Yahoo! address, at least. Don't know about others.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 10:58 AM
Boots

Thanks for your suggestion, Bob. I can do this on my new computer at the University, but I don't think I have that choice on my three-year old one here at home. I will fiddle around with it to see if I can get that to work. My set-up here for receiving messages is rather cumbersome.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 11:08 AM
elvira

I can block junk mail on my Netaddress email; the spitwad just got deep-sixed.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 01:11 PM
howard

I got an email from the artist last night asking if I wanted to receive his messages. I emailed back a polite "no." And, he emailed back a polite acknowledgement! End of email from artist.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 01:44 PM
Maira

You can direct all e-mail coming from his/her e-mail address to the 'Deleted Files' folder on your e-mail. Just use the Inbox Assistant function on the menu. That way you don't even see it.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 01:50 PM
name

Hi, <BR> <BR>I received my 3rd spam from this pain in the neck. I told him that I believed the same rules applied to unsolicited email as to unsolicited phone telemarketing) calls. The law for telemarketers is that if you request your name to be removed from the mailing list and state that you do not want to be contacted again then the telemarketer is obligated, by law, to comply else you can take him to civil court. I'm not sure if this holds true for spams and it's a lot more difficult to find these people but since the contact is over phone lines the law should apply to spammers. He obliged me by sending another spam!! <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 01:55 PM
Robin

I hate to fall back on taking the high road--- it's not nearly as satisfying! But we will probably get best results by taking the advice my mom gave me with my little brother--- IGNORE HIM! Just delete and forget you ever heard of him.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 05:06 PM
sally

First rule of spam---do not respond to the spammer---that only verifies that they have a working email address. Then it can be sold to others. <BR> <BR>When you receive spam the thing to do is forward it to the abuse department of the isp. I believe someone said this person had an aol address. I assure you aol has a policy against spamming, as all the major isp's have. The aol address is a little different than most. It is [email protected]. Most of the others are simply [email protected], etc. Lately I have also been looking up the domain servers also and sending it to their abuse department. You can get that information from doing a "whois" search on the network solutions website.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 05:16 PM
Art

I also got an email from the artist last night asking if I wanted to receive his messages. I emailed back a polite "no." And, he emailed back a polite acknowledgement! End of email from artist. <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:46 PM
hatespammers

Sorry Art (as above), you are dead wrong. <BR>By doing what you did; i.e., telling him not to send you any more e-mails, you just sent him confirmation that your e-mail address is valid. <BR>He will now sell your address to others who will sell your address to even more people and on and on and on. <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 02:25 AM
Wondering

For those of us who know nothing about this 'artist' & his 'works' can someone who has suffered his attentions expand a little on the subject ?

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 04:14 AM
kavey

Wondering... <BR> <BR>He is just a commercial fellow trying to sel his work by promoting his web site. <BR> <BR>Trouble is he has found the fodors forum and mined lots of email addresses from it to send his sale pitch to. <BR> <BR>Most of us have objected to receiving unsolicited mail in this way. (In the UK many of us have to pay phone charges to get our emails and i hate paying to download spam) <BR> <BR>ALso I and others are now less likely to use their real email address osting here which means a resource is lost to new users who previously could email us direct. <BR> <BR>Thats all...

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 07:43 AM
Marquis

One more for topper <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 07:57 AM
frank

This is OFF TOPIC by a mile & is jamming up the site - as I type 3 of the top 5 threads are devoted to it. <BR>Go to an anti-spam site for advice.Stop jamming the board.Its gone too far.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 09:53 AM
Patricia

While I agree that the point that by e-mailing this person it causes a trigger to his system that verifies our e-mail addresses are valid --but what I don't understand is that he seems to me to be just an individual sending e-mail --or am I wrong, does he have this sophisticated system that would do all this? If he is such a poor artist, how would he be able to aford equipment that would do this? <BR> <BR>I have responded to his e-mail and he has stopped sending me (so far)...but I just can't see one man having all this equipment. I know spam companies would have this incorporated into their systems. Is it easy to get? <BR>Just wondering.... <BR> <BR>Patricia