Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The area just south of King's Cross Station - what's it like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading wildy varying opinions on the area near King's Cross station as a place to stay in London. In some posts and reviews, it's described as seedy and not safe at night. In others, it's an up-and-coming area that's fine to stay in.
Anyone have any recent experience in the area, specifically the Argyle Square area just to the south? What were your impressions?
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 12:33 AM

It's not an up and coming area yet. Which is why there are cheap hotels there still

It was seedy, and quite a few of the hotels in the area did (I'm told) make more from renting by the hour than by the day. Till five years ago it was impossible for a man past the first flush of youth to walk through the area without being asked if he wanted to "do business, love" by women who looked even further from youth's first flush. It had a reputation - and a couple of well-publicised examples - for danger, though neither I nor Ms F ever had any problems in a couple of decades' walking through the area.

The extensive rebuilding north of Kings Cross, and intensive (even by British standards) CCTV installations seem to have mostly sent the vice - and more relevantly, the drug dealing, which attracted the more disturbing street-corner loungers - elsewhere. I even feel comfortable getting cash out of the local ATMs these days. There's a regular poster here called audere, of sharp observation but bizarre football loyalties, who's professionally associated with monitoring all that and may offer more objective data. TTT this on Monday if he doesn't pop up over the weekend.

Much of the rebuilding is coming to an end. Traffic's now used to the rerouting and is generally undistinguishable from the rest of London. KX tube station's got a lot more spacious, and even now has lifts - though they keep very quiet about them. Argyle Sq's still shabby, but looks to be scum-free. THe area north of the station is touted to be up and coming: the area southy looks as if it's going to stay shabby for a good while still.

My life doesn't require me to be there at night any more. But I'm often around it after dark - say around 8pm - and it all seems pretty much the same as the shabby, cheap, but safe areas round Paddington or Victoria. The only thing is, the eateries aren't that good. There's an interesting Ethiopian (Addis) just NE of the station, and a just about OK Thai (Paolina) But that's about it, now the Gonbei's closed. Otherwise, mostly the usual junky chippies and industrial Indians.

But it's a quick (and with a decent walks book, interesting) walk to parts with edible food. And now you can swing a cat inside it, KX tube - the best connected tube station of all - is actually getting on for pleasasnt to use. Parts of it even stayed cool during the July scorcher.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 05:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
flanner has described the situation darn well. A few years ago it was a no-go area if one was the least bit nervous about "ladies", drug dealing and such. Then it became a no-go area because it was totally torn up and had horrendous traffic. Now it is just a low-end area w/ the same B&B hotels as before just updated a bit.

Even w/ the really well connected tube and train stations, I personally would not stay there simply because you can get just as cheap accomodations in much nicer areas. And if your rates are not cheap - why even consider it??

I wouldn't stay near Paddington for the same general reasons. If my choice was between King's X and Paddington tho', I'd probably choose Paddington but would be very careful selecting a property.

I don't find Victoria to be nearly as bad - quite good in fact for one looking for budget accomodations in a convenient area.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:00 AM

Hi,
I spent 3 nights in June last year in a B&B in Argyle str. As I love every single part of London I didn't care at all. The area was okay and I walked around there at night (I'm a woman) with no problem at all.
After I left the Eurostar I walked from Waterloo station to there so it is not that far from the center. It made me think of Tooting Broadway or any other area in London which is not touristic.

I don't feel really safe in any part of London but my fear disappeared at the time I used to leave my work in Covent garden at 10pm and went back home (on foot or by bicycle) to Elephant and Castle where I spent a few months in the early 90's, and had never a single problem.
IMO fear attracts problems.
La peur n'évite pas le danger as we say in French.

Happy travels
coco
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't fear staying there - I just don't see the point. If the best one can say about an area is it's "okay" and not as bad as it used to be - there are usually going to be better options
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM

I worked there in an Anti-Social Behaviour capacity until August and I WOULDN'T recommend it.

Argyll Sq used to be basically Skid Row - the hotels were used to house London's homeless. This isn't as true these days so they're chasing tourist cash.

There is still a big hostel for homeless women in Birkenhead st, which is a magnet for trouble. And there's another in Greys Inn Rd.

Drug markets are very difficult to shift - as are red light areas. Both are stil there, they've just moved up York way.

Frankly you can do better. If you want specifics, please feel free to ask.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Flanner, janis, coco, audere - thank you all. Your rundowns of the 'hood were better than Lonely Planet, Time Out and Rough Guide combined.
I just wanted a relatively inexpensive but decent place to stay in November, on a long weekend visiting friends. The Hotel California on Belgrave Street is a generally well-reviewed 3-star (Tripadvisor etc), and has a great rate of 40 gbp per night in November.
Janis, I was also looking at some places in the Victoria area. Do you have any suggestions? A clean and basic room with "en-suite" bathroom facilities is all I'm really after, with close access to the Tube.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:28 PM

I stayed at the Montana Excel, which was on Argyle Square, and it was fine. It's not a pretty neighborhood, perhaps a tad bit scruffy, but really no big deal. The access to King's Cross and the tube makes up for the drabness, IMHO.