Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving in Europe

Search

Thanksgiving in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 01:15 PM
Marie

Thanksgiving in Europe

What country would be best at this time of the year?

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 01:32 PM
Andria

I am not suggesting you do what I did, but I thought I'd just share my experiences with you anyway. Last year I was in London for Thanksgiving weekend. I had been studying in France for the semester and a weekend in an Anglophone country felt like home. The Christmas decorations were up already and the city was beautiful. We actually got lucky enough to have a weekend without rain. It was a lot of fun and my friend and I had a pizza dinner on Thanksgiving. I found out that by the end of November in France, the rain is starting to level off (It rains so much in October) and there's not too many tourists, so anywhere you choose will be fine.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 05:41 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I was in London and Amsterdam last Thanksgiving. It was cold and the days were short but we still had a great time. <BR> <BR>We are planning on going a bit further south Thanksgiving 2000 (Southern Spain) and hope it to be a bit warmer and are sure that the days will be a bit longer. <BR> <BR>Either way, the tourists will be much fewer than in the summer months which, to me, is worth taking the cold.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 06:15 AM
Gina

I also spent Thanksgiving week in London a couple of years ago and had a great time. It was a bit chilly but not too bad; I wore thin sweaters and had a leather jacket and that was about it for weather gear. I highly recommend a Thanksgiving "break" in Europe--since many companies give you two days off, you can spend an entire week (with two weekend bookends) overseas and only take three vacation days!

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 07:30 AM
Lori

Marie, <BR>We've been to Paris at Thanksgiving time and it was quite chilly and rainy that year but we still enjoyed ourselves. Just take clothes that can be layered and you will be OK no matter what country you go to. I would imagine Spain, Italy or Portugal would be warmer in Nov. than England or France tho, so if weather is a big factor you might look into those.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 09:11 AM
Denny

Just a note if you decide to go to London over Thanksgiving: there is an American Thanksgiving Service every year at St. Paul's Cathedral. Beautiful. We were living overseas at the time, and it made me homesick! There was something about seeing the U.S. Marine Honor Guard holding the Stars and Stripes in such a magnificent place. The choir sang and the Ambassador spoke. A very moving experience.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 11:17 AM
Lola

Southern Italy can be spring-like over Thanksgiving, and some of the great hotels are open. Many Londoners are fascinated with the holiday and some restaurants offer "Thanksgiving meals."My favorite Thanksgiving memory abroad is not in Europe, but in the Cameron Highlands of Malaysia. I was alone--working on a project there--and had some chicken for Thanskgiving dinner at my hotel. I felt quite homesick, until the waiter brought the chicken with a little American flag stuck in it, and said, "Happy Thanksgiving.' He had lived in the states and it was his favorite American holiday, and he missed it!

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 04:44 PM
Kate

We went to London last Thanksgiving and we are going this year again. It was great, yes it gets dark at about 4:30, but check out Regent Street and Covent garden they are all decorated. <BR>