Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel American or Pensione La Calcina in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 04:36 AM
Vern

I think I have narrowed my decission down to these two hotels. La Calcina is lire 240,000 for a double w/ canal view. The American is 410,000 for a double w/ terrace & canal view. <BR>For the difference in price is the American <BR>worth it? La Calcina requires a personal check of $270.00 by Oct. 18 to hold the reservation (which doesn't thrill me). Any help is appreciated.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 07:28 AM
Dona

Vern, <BR> <BR>I don't know La Calcina but I have seen the American. I passed it the last time I was in Venice and stopped in to get a brochure because it was such a pretty hotel. It looks like it has been redone recently in a lovely setting. <BR> <BR>Sorry I can't help with a comparison...

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 09:33 AM
Ada

Vern, <BR>The location of American is VERY Venetian. It is, however, a modest small hotel. I think that the rste is really too expensive. We stayed in a lovely little hotel in Mestre for 180,000 lire. The bus service was excellent! <BR>Ada

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 02:16 PM
Paule

Stick with La Calcina. I stayed there in July of '98 and loved it. It is on the Guidecca Canal, not the Grand Canal-- but I preferred it because it was away from the hordes of tourists, yet still very accessible. The hotel is very bright and airy, well-managed with friendly service. I don't think the American is on the Grand Canal, either-- and frankly, 410,000 lire sounds like a lot more than is necessary. <BR>La Calcina has gotten "discovered" in the last year, I think, which explains the personal check deposit. I didn't need to do that over a year ago. But they are certainly not the only ones to require a personal check as a deposit, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. <BR>I recommend it highly. <BR>

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 03:25 PM
RJD

Stayed at Pensione La Calcina twice in the last few years. It's a fine hotel with lovely views and slightly quiter and more romantic than more centrally located places. Are you sure its $270. I thought its 270,000 lira or about $140.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 06:06 PM
Seamus

Stayed at Hotel American last year. The extra cost is for the quality of appointments (towel warmer in the tile bath, etc), not the size of the room. Staff was very friendly, location was not right on the Grand Canal but only a very short walk from the vaportetto stop. Overall, quite fine, but if you're looking to economize you could do better.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 06:24 AM
Vern

To RJD <BR> <BR>The required deposit for La Calcina is for two nights. The quoted rate is 240,000 per night.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 02:09 PM
Linda

We stayed at the American last summer and found the room to be very cramped, dark, dirty, the bathroom not much bigger than a closet...need I go on? The location is great, but I'm sure you can do better.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 05:49 PM
Diane

If you can get in, the Pensione Accademia was wonderful. Very close to the American Hotel. Do a search on this hotel name if you want more information.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 05:54 PM
Diane

Several years ago there was a travel series on public tv with a host named John Guerasio, or something like that. It was a great series. Anyway, he focused on La Calcina, which could account for some of its popularity.