Notices

Thanks from Grandma on suggestions

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Grandma

Thanks from Grandma on suggestions

Thank you all on your helpful suggestions about too much walking in Italy. I have been walking on treadmill every day (huff & puff) also trying not to eat so much, so I can indulge in what must be fabulous gelato!! The cane idea is good, but not sure I feel Quite "that" old.But then again why should I be embarresed , after all won't see those people again. Will try to give a trip report when I get back. This forum has been very helpful in planning! Leaving on Sept. 9. Thanks again

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:02 AM
carol

Grandma, my mom has had arthritis since her early 20's. She started to use a cane in her 40's. There is no shame in protecting your comfort.

63 is not so old! You go girl!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:05 AM
xx

Grandma,

Why not make your cain a fashion statement! I love the ones with the antique silver tops! You might be able to find an extra "walking stick" at an antique market in Itally! In fact, I know folks that make a collection of antique cains.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Studly

Another reason for carrying a cane is to beat off the dagos than will inevitably try and hit on you.

And for all you flamers, I'm a dago myself.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:08 PM
EP

I have not seen those suggestions, but obviously somebody has suggested a cane. I am 52, I don´t have an arthritis, and I am physically in top shape due to trekking, hiking and Xcountry skiing. AND I USE A CANE! I am always sorry if I forget that home. It takes stress off your knees when walking downhill, it helps you walking uphill, and it is an immense help on narrow, high stretches. I get dizzy, but "a third spot" on the ground helps.

And I bought the cane from a hiking store, it is not something that only older people use.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:42 PM
studly

I happen to like walking sticks like those sold in hiking stores, they come in handy in places like Cinque Terre. Does anyone know if they are allowed on board an aircraft? The telescoping ones you could always pack and check, but what about the types of canes that older folks use for everyday walking?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:59 PM
way to go

For Grandma~ First off a big congratulations on your efforts to get in shape. Good for you! Second lots of older women in Europe use a cane... it'll just make you look like a local!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Holly

Might come in handy for warding off pickpockets, too (IF you happen to encounter any).