Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thanks Everyone! I've checked in online...now what to do at airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,
I've just checked in online and printed our boarding passes for our flight from LAX-ATL-LHR tomorrow. I've never checked in online before so a little unsure what to do now at the airport. We're flying Delta. Do I just drop our bags at curbside or Baggage Drop and proceed to the first security line? Or do I need to do something else before I go to the first security screening?

When we deplane in Atlanta do we just go right to our next gate for the flight to London since we already have that boarding pass also?

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful and useful help with planning our trip. It almost doesn't seem real yet...five years in the planning and now less than 24 hrs away! Yippee!!!

Take care,
Michele
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM

You can either check your bags at the curb or inside the terminal. There should be a line for express check in for people with boarding passes. If you choose to check bags inside the terminal there will be a Delta representative who can direct you to the express check in line.

In Atlanta you can go to the next gate.

Be sure to check your bags through to LHR, not Atlanta.

Do you have a seat assignment?

Have a great time!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 02:48 PM
P_M

I don't know about LAX but at my airport there is a seperate check-in area if you already have your boarding pass. That is where they will see your passport and check your bag. When you arrive in Atlanta then yes, you will just go to your next gate.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM

You can check your luggage in curbside or go to the counter to check it in. (If you are taking carry-on luggage take it with you to the security gate.) You then head to the security line. There you will need to show your ticket and passport (and qt size bag with liquids if you have carry-on luggage). Then you just head to the departure gate. When you change planes in Atlanta you just walk to the gate for the plane departure to London. Your luggage will be sent all the way through to London if you checked it in. I hope you have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks adrienne and P_M,
That's what I was hoping for Atlanta since the layover is less than an hour.
Take care,
Michele
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kkukura,
I was typing at the same time as you.
Michele
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM

I have never been able to use curbside check - in when traveling overseas. You may have a special counter inside that says "bag drop". But someone will need to see your passport before security. The airlines personnel are "pre" immigration.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 03:15 PM
J62

The airline personnel will be the only ones to check your passport departing the US. There is no emigration control.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Since 9/11 I've never seen curbside check in for international flights, and the first leg of your flight will be considered to be "international" since that's your final destination.

Have a super time!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Ok thanks.
We will go inside the terminal and look for a Delta representative to direct us to bag check-in. I was just hoping to avoid long lines even before security since I had already checked in online.
Take care,
Michele
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Checking in online gets you seat selection earlier - but if you have checked luggage you still have to have it weighed and tagged (make sure it;s through to LHR - since you have so little time to change places in Atlanta).
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM

We flew from Houston to Montreal, with a stop and change of planes in Cincinnati earlier this month. We checked in some of our luggage curbside even though our flight was an international flight. We also flew Delta. So if you walk by the curbside check-in ask if you can do it there. We did!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi nytraveler,
We already have our seat assignments thank goodness so I don't have to worry about that. One time we were seated five rows apart. I don't sit next to strangers anymore because no one seems to appreciate my death grip on their hand during the entire flight(even with Xanax)! Only my husband understands how pathetic I am when I fly so we always get seat assignments ahead of time now so it's one less thing to worry about.

kkukura, I will try curbside baggage drop when the shuttle drops us at the airport. If not then I will go inside.
Thanks for the help,
Michele
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:47 AM
ira

Hi md,

If you are returning via Atlanta, be aware that it is considered a port of entry. You will have to collect your luggage and take it through Customs before continuing on.

If you have any liquids or gels from a duty free shop, it has to go into your checked luggage before you go through Security.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
(Maybe false sense of secuirty but) I like the feeling of checking my luggage at the counter inside the airport, even if there's a bit of a line (I always allow plenty of time). I like to see them weigh it (just to know how well I did at packing light) and watch the tag be attached with the final destination airport on it.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
oops sorry... I see you're probably already GONE!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Suze...we did the same but curbside. I do agree though that they need to take the luggage inside to the right place so it does make it a little less concerning to check-in at the counter inside!