Search

Thanks Britian!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Lise

Thanks Britian!

I just saw on the news this evening a British band playing the Star Spangled Banner today at a changing of the guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace. The people in the crowd were in tears. What a wonderful gesture! I continue to be amazed at the outpouring of support from countries around the world.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Boots

Relatives from Sweden and friends from England have e-mailed me, and this afternoon a friend from Paris called and spoke for a half-hour; all told me how sorry they were that this horrible thing had happened. All of us probably have good friends around the world who wish us well right now. <BR>Boots

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:45 PM
John

CNN reports over 100 UK nationals are among the missing in the WTC tragedy, and according to the foreign secretary the toll could be several times that. If this is so, it's one of the largest losses of British life at one time in a long while. Don't forget the first word in the name of the place. <BR> <BR>Scotland's motto is "Nemo Me Impune Lacessit," ("No one attacks me with impunity.") I believe the Queen wears that somewhere on her costume. Words to remember, those.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Denise

Americans & The United Kingdom, are as ONE! God Bless Us All!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Sheila

(tiny smile-first this week?) <BR> <BR>We translate "Nemo me..." as <BR> <BR>"Wha daur meddle wi' me" <BR>(Who dares meddle with me)

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 11:12 PM
Sheila

And in case you don't know today is a day on national mourning all over Europe. <BR> <BR>We have 3 minutes silence at 11am; there is a multi denominational service of remembrance in (I think) Westminster Cathedral; and they reckon that this tragedy in New York this week (about 500-600 Brits dead) is the wrost terrorist excess to ever hit Britain even though it's not here. <BR> <BR>Truly New York is a global city and truly this disaster is global in more ways than one

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 11:19 PM
Edmond O`Flaherty

To-day is a national day of mourning in Ireland and all government and most private businesses are closed. <BR>I was outside the U.S. Embassy in Dublin at 7am and already there were dozens of people signing books of condolence. <BR>Hundreds of boquets of flowers were left there.Ireland has a close attachment to the U.S. and the Irish people are devastated.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 07:10 AM
janis

The Rememberence service was at St Pauls and the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Archbishop of Canterbury, etc. were in attendance. The full text of the Archbishop's address is on today's Times website. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Randall Smith

Hello, <BR> <BR>I have been watching the TF1 internet broadcasts every chance I get. I always enoy the wonderful reports on everyday life and French society. <BR> <BR>Since the tradgedies that occured on Tuesday 100% has been dedicated to the covering events in the US and in the world related to those events. <BR> <BR>I too was moved to tears when I saw the guard in front of Buckingham Palace playing the Star Spangled Banner in place of God Save the Queen, which was an order from the Queen herself. Also thousands in the streets of Rome carrying candles and signs saying "Rome Stands with the People of America". Similar scenes took place in Norway, Sweden, Greece, china, and on & on. They also showed citizens of Moscow kneeling and placing flowers in front of the US embasy. <BR> <BR>It is comforting to know that the world considers this an attack not only as an attack on the US, but also an attack on free peoples no matter where they live. <BR> <BR>We are definitely not alone. The entire civilized world is outraged. <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR> <BR>Randall Smith

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Annette

I, too, was very moved by the reports of Britain's response which Lise described. Britain is, indeed, a very great nation and friend to the USA. <BR> <BR>The sorrow of the lives lost is unbearable. This affects all mankind.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Robin

My deep thanks to the queen and the British people for a beautiful gesture. I couldn't help but think of the symbolism of the former colonist offering solace to the colonies. We were all deeply moved. <BR> <BR>"Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave?" Damn right it does.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Joe

I am moved by the above as we all are. Let us not forget Spain. The first Country to respond with actual assistance.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 11:29 AM
x

Joe, <BR>You mentioned Spain responding with "actual assistance." Obviously I missed that in the innundation of news reports. Could you please elaborate?

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Carolyn

I, too, was moved to tears when I saw the British band playing Star Spangled Banner on TV last nite. God Bless you, Britain, for sharing in our pain and loss.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 11:44 AM
a

I was so moved by the gesture yesterday at the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, and again today at St. Paul's. It is very comforting to know that we, as Americans, are truly not alone in this unspeakable tragedy. So many countries were represented in the offices of the World Trade Center. We know that people in the UK as well as other countries around the world have lost family and friends. We thank you for your support. You don't know how much it means to us in this dark hour.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Linds

Great Britain has been, and continues to be, the closest friend and ally of the United States. Through thick and thin, they have stood besides us. <BR> <BR>I too was deeply moved by the playing of the Star Spangled Banner at Buckingham Palace. Not only because of the beautiful gesture of support and solidarity, but also because of the beauty of the rendition itself. Never have a heard a more heart-felt and uplifting rendition of our national anthem than the one delivered at Buckingham Palace. The power and pride were enormous and I'm deeply grateful.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Mel

Many of us were moved to tears once again when we saw the tape of the guards playing our national anthem. Today at work that was the first thing people brought up over coffee this morning. It was a comforting, sweet topic to start the day with after so many horrific beginnings. <BR>I had a few people who don't travel but know how I love the UK tell me they "get it now." <BR>THANKS once again for "coming through."

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Bill Fleites

I also was deeply touched by seeing the amazing sight of her majesty's military band playing our national anthem. It was beautifully played, and once again shows what a special relationship this wonderful country has with ours. God bless America and Great Britain.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 06:50 PM
Linda

I, too, was moved and teary-eyed seeing the remembrances of those lost through prayer and song in so many countries, including Britain. I guess I really thought people in other countries wouldn't care because it happened in the US, but now I realize it is human nature to come together and put differences aside when it comes to such a devastating tragedy, done with such evil. We are really one world.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Jessica

I was very happy to see BBC coverage of this tragedy. Here we still are not addressing the foreign policy issues that brought this horror to our soil. I can only hope we will look more closely at this as we move away from 9/11. <BR> <BR>I am concerned that people like Thomas Friedman of the Wall Street journal are making statements like "now we know how Israel feels". Several Israelis have been interviewed saying I am use to this I live in Israel. Of course there are no concurring interviews with Palestinians who have fled here because of their persecution. This very typical one sided perspective of American news on this issue is very suffocating. <BR> <BR> I was comforted on the very first night of the tragedy hearing the BBC talking about the issues that have led up to this nightmare. Thank you BBC for reporting the issues straight on and at- least telling PBS viewers in NYC what is happening. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -