Reload this Page >

Thank you to Sheila Ritchie!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 05:12 AM
fiona

I have learned a lot about Scotland through your many replies to various posters. The Scottish Tourist Board would do well to take you on!!!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:56 AM
jim

I agree- Sheila always gives lots of useful info -has anyone else noticed someone who contributes positively to this forum?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:00 AM
Sheila

Why thank you, kind sirs; we aim to please

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:06 AM
Wendy

Ursula is another one who often replies to questions.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:58 AM
Ursula

Wendy hi and thanks. Well, I try but really do wonder if Europeans would worry that much when going to the States. When I first did, in 1980, to NYC, I *was* kind of excited indeed, but did not bother too much about what to pack and what to wear. I just let things happen. Now, for all those who come to Europe, weather is fine for the moment (around 30°C), but might change for the weekend to be a little worse. <BR> <BR>So, take a windbreaker, an umbrella and always, comfortable shoes, please. Remember all the cobble stones... Take sneakers, if you feel fine. After all, we all do travel and most important thing is to be comfortable. <BR>PS: Planning to go back next year to NYC. Do you think the subway is safe during the day? This is probably the only thing I am little worried about. <BR>But not yet. I will come up with some (stupid) questions, once the flight is booked. <BR>Have all a great time over here in Europe and do not worry too much. A lot of people will be pleased to help you.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:20 AM
John

one more to add to the list(I've just read a posting of his)- Art. always willing to help and always polite unlike some posters.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:31 AM
carol

For Ursula--the subways are MOST safe (and crowded)during rush hours--8-11AM and 4-6PM. Far fewer people travel on them 11AM-4PM, but they're still safe, as long as you make sure there are at least 5-6 other people in the car. I myself much prefer to travel by bus in NYC during the daytime, even though it takes considerable longer to reach your destination. Some words of advice for safe subway travelling: NEVER stay in an empty car, and, if someone's bothering you in a crowded car, get off at the next station and take the following train; and finally, you'll find that you can push your way to the door in a very crowded subway, as long as you say EXCUSE ME to every single person in your way!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:39 AM
Ursula

Carol thanks so much for answering my question. I think we shall the bus whenever possible. But you see, Europeans are also a little worried about using the subway especially in NYC. But I remember, when I was there (very young at that time), we used in later in the evening and I did not always feel that comfortable. But now, with all the good advices and being quite an experienced traveller by now, I do not worry too much about it.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Kerryanne

Sheila, <BR>So many people singing your praises. Can I ask some advice? We are Aussies planning our trip for May/June next year. We are in the first stages of trying to work out how long to spend in each area of Britain. Not withstanding the fact that months would not be enought time to 'do' somewhere properly, do you feel we could skim the top and get a good taste of Scotland in 7 - 8 days? I am also wondering if we should plan on going up to John o'Groats if we are limited on time? We would like to go to the Isle of Skye but I don't think we will do any other islands, preferring to stay on dry land. We want to see , scenery, scenery and history, history and more of both. Cities are great but I thought one night in say Paisley and maybe two in Edinburgh would be sufficient, what do you think? <BR>Any advice will be much appreciated.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Sheila

Well that's a first! Why on earth do you want to stay in Paisley. If I were to pick the ten most depressing towns in Scotland, I think Paisley would be on the list. <BR> <BR>I assume you are driving? What I would suggest is 2 nights in Edinburgh then from a single base; maybe Plockton? or Invermoriston, or somewhere from wher you can easliy reach a lot of other places, day trips all round. persoannly I'd hugely prefer that to dashing from pillar to post. <BR> <BR>If you stayed in Plockton- very picturesque village at the mounth of Loch Carron, you are 6 miles from the bridge to Skye, less than an hour from Loch Ness, less than an hour from Gairloch and Poolewe, less than an hour from Torridon, about an hour and a half from the entrance to Glencoe; <BR> <BR>Lots of opportunity for round trips- <BR>Skye-Mallaig-Morven-Fort William -home <BR>Skye-Mallaig-Glenfinnan-Fort William-home <BR>Achnasheen-Gairloch-Ullapool-Garve-home <BR>Inverness-Loch Ness-home <BR>Inverness-Aviemore-Kingussie-LochLaggan-Spean Bridge-home <BR> <BR>You could EVEN do John O' Groats in a day trip, tho' if I were in charge I want a very serious understanding of why you should. <BR> <BR>please feel free to come back for more

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:49 AM
pam

Dame Sheila (or whatever the equivalent title would be in Scotland) is a wonderful lady. <BR>She mailed me an extra fodors pin which she received when she knew how much I wanted one. <BR>She is both extremely knowledgeable and generous. <BR>Boy...is your head gonna fit through the door after this post? LOL <BR>Thanking you again

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it has been some time since someone has registered a reply/message but I have to say - I will be traveling to Great Britain this summer and I have, in my estimation, worn Sheila out with my endless questions. She has, however, continued to reply, with great insight AND humor. I am quite certain that I will be forever indebted to her for her many pearls of wisdom and for her generosity. We are all busy in this life but somehow she makes us all feel special with her interest in us.
Truly an asset to her homeland and to all of those who have Scotland on their &quot;list&quot; - or in their dreams. Thanks as always Sheila......... Lynda
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:51 AM

I have to agree with everybody else. Sheila has provided me with her invaluable input for our upcoming trip in May. I envy her for living in such a beautiful place and thank her for sharing her insights with us.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:56 AM

Too bad she's not as knowledgeable or friendly as janis . . . she's probably a barrister or a solicitor.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cheers, to Sheila, a kind and generous lady.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:43 AM

Snoopy, I hope you are a friend of Sheila and are just poking fun. You know she is a solicitor.

Sheila is a pillar of this Fodors community and is greatly respected and appreciated by me and many others.

Janis is very helpful as well.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:12 AM

I completely agree! I have asked her numerous questions and she answered them all!
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM

That'll be fifteen guineas please, Snoopy.

(British legal joke- please spare my blushes- I'm a mere amateur, when it comes to telling people how to enjoy theri holidays
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:34 PM

Sheila, you're not an amateur at all, and you really made Scotland such a delight for me!

BC
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM

3 cheers for Sheila...and for Janis as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -