Reload this Page >

Thank you to NYCFoodSnob

Search

Thank you to NYCFoodSnob

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:13 PM
rfb

Thank you to NYCFoodSnob

Some time back when I was planning my recent trip to Tuscany I sought advise on the practicality of driving all over Tuscany in one day.

You recommended that I drive from Florence to Siena on route 222 which was truly worthwhile. I would have missed this had you not suggested it, and it would have been a pity. It was really a beautiful road on one of the few beautiful days that we had (rained a lot).

I was pleasantly surprised that the road quality there was much better than what I had experienced along the French border. The only quibble (not with you, with the Italian road departments) I have is the lack of adequate signs and the fact that some roads aren't numbered at all on the signs but identified solely by the origin and destination cities that they link. I guess I could have found this out had I done adequate research; anyway, I mention it in case others may not know.

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have so many wonderful memories of Tuscany and driving along the s222 is a special one, indeed. My very first journey through this scenic wonderland included lots of April rain. Even so, I fell in love with the magic at every turn and vowed to return, again and again.

I find the signage superb even though I always get lost and have to turn around at some point. Tuscany, especially Chianti, is no place for the sense-of-direction impaired.

My surprise came when I discovered the uselessness of a map (TCI, no less). The roads are so twisted and curvy, I did much better when I simply surrendered and relied on the signs. Now, I use a map for general reference. Once you get used to the area, it becomes quite easy. Frankly, I have a harder time navigating through Westport, CN., especially in the dark.

I'm thrilled you appreciated my tip and the experience and I'm humbled by your kind acknowledgment. Prego!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 05:34 PM
padbrasher

To rfb:
I could not help smiling when I read your posting as we just very recently (March 20, 2004) drove S222 from Firenze to Siena with a detour to Vagliaglia where we dined at the magnificent Taverna du Vagliaglia. After a long day of blitzing the must-sees of Firenze ( with David truly the highlight), we drove the scenic and slower route "home" to Siena. It was so gorgeous and our meal in Vagliaglia topped off the memorable evening. It keeps the magic alive on this Sunday night as I chaperone my sons towards the homework/bedtime hour!

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Padbrasher,

I just wanted to correct the spelling of my little town in case others want to come vist. Should be just B
Vagliagli and the restaurant is Taverna di Vagliagli. Lovely town if I do say so myself.

Cristina in Vagliagli
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 05:23 AM
padbrasher

To Cristina in Vagliagli:
Thanks for the spelling correction. My family loved your town and thought our meal was the best we had while in Italy. And our sons loved the journey there over dirt roads in our VW minivan. It was quite an adventure!