Thalys Train Help/Information

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Sherry

Thalys Train Help/Information

If we purchase a roundtrip ticket from Paris to Amsterdam, will this ticket give us "on/off" privileges to stop for a few hours in Brussels? It looks like the train to Amsterdam passes right through Brussels and we are considering a stop for a few hours there. Is this possible without incurring additional charges? If there is a charge/fee, is it reasonable?

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:56 PM
Tony

I'd be interested to know the answer to this one - normally you can break a journey, but Thalys operates it's own "global fares system" You have to reserve in advance anyway so you could find out then.
One solution might be, outwards from Paris, to book on a train that either terminates at Brussels, or continues on to Cologne. That way you could delay your "connection" onto a later Brussels - Amsterdam train.

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:57 PM
Tony

Sorry, forgot to mention that any eurail pass you might have only entitles you to a discount, not a free ride. There is also a dedicated Thalys website by the way, which may answer your questions.

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:57 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Right, that would be my suggestion: fool around with it on:

www.thalys.com

and then if you want to pull the trigger on something you figure out on the dedicated site from the U.S. so you can have the tickets in hand before you leave (which will generally involve a higher cost than buying in Europe), go to:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

to execute the actual ticket purchase.

Old May 10th, 2001, 08:07 AM
BTilke

Sherry,
I've never heard of a Thalys ticket that allows you to get off at one point and then pick another train up later. The problem is that seats on the Thalys are reserved and they'd have to know which train you want to pick up so they could assign your seats. If you want to sightsee in Brussels, your choices are:
buy a Thalys ticket to Brussels (one way or round trip) and then a separate Thalys ticket from Brussels to Amsterdam (one way with a return to Paris or round trip from Brussels). But you'd have to pick a train.
OTOH, if you want to keep your schedule open, take the Thalys to Brussels, do your sightseeing and then take a regular, non Thalys train to Amsterdam where the seats aren't reserved. I've taken both the Thalys and the regular train up, and while the Thalys is clearly the better ride, there's certainly nothing wrong with the regular train (especially if you go first class). And the time difference is not huge given that the Thalys makes quite a few stops between Brussels and Amsterdam (whereas there are NO stops between Paris and Brussels).
I have to exchange one of my Thalys tickets from Paris back to Brussels this week-end and will ask the train personnel if your plan is possible, but I doubt it. I'll report their answer on Saturday.
A few tips: if you're traveling week-days and your budget isn't too tight, try and get a "loisirs" first class ticket; first class has better seats and provides an in-seat meal on most weekday trains (but not the late night ones). Second class is certainly acceptable, but I usually travel first class and appreciate the difference. The cheapest rate is the "mini" ticket but these sell out quickly and are the most restricted.
Good news: Thalys has cut the number of smoking cars to one. They found the nonsmoking cars often were sold out, while the smoking cars were often half empty (even Europeans, who smoke like chimneys, seem to object to the truly toxic atmosphere of the enclosed smoking car).
BTilke (Brussels)