Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

belgium and netherlands - final itinerary help, please!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Olga

Hi, everybody! <BR> <BR>We are getting close to leaving for Belgium and Holland at the end of May, and I had just a few more questions, if you don't mind. <BR> <BR>Here is the itinerary: <BR> <BR>We (2 adults, 2 teenagers) are flying into Brussels, arrive at 7 am, rent a car (I know it's not the best option, but we had to do it this way), and go straight to Brugge (have to be in Brussels on the fourth day for lecture). <BR>In Brugge, we have a choice between Ter Duinen, Walburg and Hans Memling(?) hotels. There for 3 days, will do some day trips (as much as we can manage) to Gent, Antwerp, Ypres. <BR>Will drive to Brussels on the fourth day, see the city, give a lecture, and spend the night in Le Dixseptieme. <BR>Leave next morning - and this is the big unknown: will drive through Antwerp (if we hadn't seen it yet) to Arnhem area to see the Kroller-Muller museum and Naitonal Park and the open-air museum... I am guessing it will take the whole day? - should we spend the night somewhere in the vicinity (is it possible without reservations?), and next day go to Amsterdam right away to get rid of the car, or take another day to explore by car (Utrecht, ?) and get to Amsterdam at night? <BR>Then, Amsterdam (5-6 days)(Tulip Inn or Bridge Hotel?) including day trips by train/buses, give a talk on the last day and fly home... <BR>Please, give us some feedback! Sjoerd and Myriam, are you there? <BR> <BR>Sorry for the long post, I hope it doesn't get lost... <BR> <BR>Thank you in advance!

Old May 9th, 2001, 04:22 PM
wes fowler

Olga, <BR>I don't know the Walburg, but certainly know and highly recommend Ter Duinen where, in addition to large, pleasantly furnished rooms, triple paned windows, superb breakfasts you'll also find free, safe on street parking directly in front of the hotel. You'll have a ten to fifteen minute canal side walk to the bell tower square from Ter Duinen but only a two block drive to the ring road leading to Ghent and Brussels. The Memling is just a couple of blocks from the bell tower square, but heaven only knows where you'd park the car. I believe there's a public garage about two blocks from the hotel. <BR>Distances are deceptively short in the Low Countries. Arnhem and the Kroller-Muller are only about 130 miles from Brussels, almost all of which is on excellent autowegs. Amsterdam is only 60 miles from Arnhem. Assuming 3 hours to the museum from Brussels and 1 and 1/2 hours from the museum to Amsterdam, you'd probably be cheating yourself if you didn't stay the night somewhere near Arnhem, to allow ample time to visit the museum and perhaps take a bike ride through the National park.

Old May 9th, 2001, 04:41 PM
the turnip

We just spent 4 days in Brugges and it wasn't enough! We debated day trips but enjoyed Brugge itself to much. Take the brewery tour, rent bikes and bikes up to Damme (just a few miles) and then bike back along the canal. See the little private castle near Osterkerk while biking. Eat Verbeckes and Leonidas choclates in Brugge. Try a fresh Duvel beer or two, or three. See the Piata. See the Museums. Eat more choclate and sample some more wonderful beer. It's a great city, especially once the tourists leave for the day. I'll try to send some Netherlands suggestions tommorow. <BR> <BR>Cheers, the turnip

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Olga

thank you, great suggestions!! I have been enjoying your (both) previous posts on the subject. <BR> <BR>was leaning towards Ter Duinen also. <BR>About Arnheim, Wes, do you think we can wing a nice (relatively) hotel nearby to be able to stop when and where we want once during the trip, or should we reserve something there?

Old May 9th, 2001, 08:10 PM
BillJ

In Brugge, you must take the canal tour, climb the tower, get thee to Vweertvaegher Chocolates (IMHO the best). In addition to Duvel, try the Jupiter, these are both mild, like MGD. Beer there is only 3-4% alcohol, so enjoy. <BR>Be sure to get thee to Beidel De Coninck, a really fun fun restaurant between the Burg and the Markt in Brugge. My wife and I shared for starters fresh lobster in a cream sauce, and then for the main course, shared a giant pot of mussels in white wine and cream sauce. Very crowded. We stayed at die Swaene, so can't help you there. <BR>Gent would be a good day trip from Brugge. I don't think you'd have any problem at all getting up to Arnhem in a few hours, depending if you stop in Antwerp. If all you want to see is diamonds, you'll do just as well with Coster Diamonds in Amsterdam, near the Van Gogh museum. If you are going to Kroller, you might want to check out nearby Het Loo palace, near Apeldoorn. <BR>For WWII buffs, Arnhem and Nijmegan have special meaning. <BR>Just stayed at le Dixseptieme. It is a fantastic B&B a block and a half from the Grand Place. You'll love it. Timbered rooms, antiques, terry cloth robes, great little breakfast. Be sure to book early for a dinner at the ever popular Armands, right off the Grand Place. Very popular. Nathalie at le Dixseptieme could get you a table, I betcha. They serve Maes beer there, kind of the same as Jupiter, very good. <BR>In Amsterdam, lots of things to do, but don't miss the Rijksmuseum, even if you just hit the Hall of Honor. I'll bet your teens even like it. If you have any other q's, I just got back, so feel free to email me.

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:31 PM
Sjoerd

On your way from Brussels to the Arnhem area, you could stop in Antwerp, or alternatively in De Efteling amusement park near Kaatsheuvel/Waalwijk in the Netherlands. (nice for younger children, older children and adults) www.efteling.nl <BR>Or another nice stop is the "little white city" of Thorn in Limburg province, close to the Belgian border. <BR>I believe you shouldn't have problems finding a hotel near Arnhem. The Kroller Muller Museum (www.kmm.nl) is very nice, but the National Park may still be closed because of Foot and Mouth. Check before you go! Het Loo Palace is very nice. Between Kroller Muller and Amsterdam you could stop in Kasteel (castle) Haarzuilens near Utrecht, or in the fortified old city of Naarden. Utrecht is a nice city too. A little known museum in Utrecht is "Van Speeldoos tot Pierement" which is about electrical musical instruments. <BR>Hope the weather is as nice during your visit as it is this week! (only blue skies, sunny and 23C)

Old May 10th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Niki

Sjoerd, You Rock! I just had to let you know that I'm planning on going to wonderful Amsterdam on May 28th and have been making notes of all of your recommendations. Just wanted to thank you for giving such great insights! Now, for one more question: Can you recommend a good jenever for those of us who are anxious to try it? Thanks!

Old May 10th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Sjoerd

Niki, thanks for your kind words. <BR>Actually, I seldom drink jenever. It is a drink most Dutch people associate with their grandfathers. Few young people drink it. Hooghoud is one of the major brands and is supposed to be good. But don't blame me if you don't like it!

Old May 10th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Olga

I second Niki's opinion. Thank you so much, Sjoerd, those are very good suggestions. Interesting little town stops sound great. It would be a shame if the Nat'l Park is closed - completely forgot about Foot-and-Mouth epidemic! Will call them. <BR>Thank you!