Reload this Page >

TGV train question

Search

TGV train question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 12:13 PM
Ann

TGV train question

Can anyone tell me if there is a signficant difference between first and second class on the TGV trains in France? Is first class worth the extra money? Also, are they always on time? Thanks

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 12:43 PM
vosaki

The difference between 1st and 2nd class is seat width and leg room. That's it. There is no difference in the food served, because there is no complimentary food in either class. But the differenc in fares is not eye popping as it is with airfares. Instead of 1st class being ten times more expensive than 2nd class, the difference is closer to 50%. Is it worth it, that is a value judgment. <BR>Every TGV I have ever taken has been on time. Trains in Europe tend to be punctual.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Brian in Atlanta

We took the Thalys high speed train from Brussels to Paris a couple weeks back and decided to pay the extra $30pp to see what first class was like. <BR> <BR>We did get a free "meal" - small snacks and sandwiches and a beverage (no big deal). We also noted that we were completely surrounded by serious-minded business people. We were the only ones looking out the windows as the train sped through the countryside. <BR> <BR>Next time, we'll probably save the money and sit in the possibly less stuffy 2nd class car.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Spanky

Hi: <BR> <BR>Took the TVG in late March from Paris to Avignon in second class--train was on time and second class consisted of seats with a table that could be raised or lowered across from other seats facing you. Most travelers were young adults, familes -- we all looked out the windows and got dizzy. Second class is definitely very nice and I'd do it again.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 02:58 AM
frank

Plenty of room in 2nd class.

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Robin

Paying for first class may be more valuable on a non-TGV trip, as one of the advantages of first class can be a less crowded car. With the TGV, you have to reserve, so you will definitely have a seat. On a standard train however, it's first come first served, so less competition for seats is a good thing! Just a thought. <BR> <BR>The French trains have a great reputation for timeliness, which I'm sure is deserved. But I just came back, and two of our journeys were delayed, one pretty significantly. It wasn't a problem, but it can happen.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 06:44 PM
Susan

I'll be taking the TGV from Paris to Avignon in July and am wondering if anyone knows whether or not all the seats face foward? My concern is the dizzyness factor sitting backwards at great speeds! Do I need to be concerned? I would appreciate any input!

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 07:10 PM
Robin

No, they do not, but I assume you can reserve your seat and request what you want. I honestly didn't see what the fuss was about rearding dizziness. I'm sure it's personal, but I really did not find it to be a problem. Thatt said, do whatever you have to to be sure you're comfortable

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 09:08 PM
kendra

Hmmmm.....we took the TGV from London to Paris about a year ago, and we reserved first class seats (not premium first class, just first class). <BR> <BR>The seats were large, roomy and they reclined, which we loved. We sat facing each other with a table between us and a lamp on the table. If you or your traveling companion is tall, this is the way to go. <BR> <BR>We had a choice of two different full breakfasts and were served by the waiters. I still have the menus, so Ann, I'll reprint them here if you're interested. We noticed a fair number of British families in first class, not just business travelers. It was about half full, while second class looked as packed as a cattle car. <BR> <BR>Personally, I wanted a really nice train experience in Europe because I'd never ridden a train before! First class in TGV met my expectations and then some. IMO, it was well worth the little splurge.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 11:08 PM
Joelle

I am afraid that it is impossible to ask for a "forward facing" seat when making your reservation. SNCF cannot guarantee in which direction the railway cars will be connected. Anyway you can always ask your neighbours for a seat exchange. it works fine!

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 04:21 AM
Kristin

Just a small warning (which I wish I had read before I went)! If you are traveling on a railpass (France Railpass, Eurailpass, Europass), make your TGV reservations as early as possible. There are a limited number of slots on each TGV for railpass holders and when they are gone, you're out of luck for that train! May not matter to you, but it upset some of our plans. We still had a great time. But it was a small-to-medium problem. <BR>