TGV tickets - Buying on www.voyages-sncf.com

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to need to travel from Paris to Aix-en-Provence for an upcoming vacation. I assumed it would make sense to buy the necessary TGV tickets in advance. So, I went to the site www.voyages-sncf.com.

But - I am having a problem with the box labeled "Country in which the tickets are to be delivered or collected" on the site. It looks like the United States is not one of the choices. Am I missing something? Do I need to use a different site?

Also - can anyone tell me the name of the train station in Paris one would use to catch a train to Aix.

Thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Hi rholt, I can tell you it is gare de Lyon where you 'll take your train.
as for the tickets you can buy them on line and have them directly from the machines in the station.(with the same credit card number)
if you can read french :
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/info_res...ait_Billet.htm

good luck!
corinne
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:14 AM

You can check the timetables and routes at the following SNCF web site:
http://www.transilien.com/GB/default.htm

Have you tried booing on-line at the following SNCF site: http://www.sncf.com/indexe.htm

You should be able to print your own tickets on this web site as long as they are for travel within France.

It's a system called Billet Imprime®

“No more waiting in the station, no more getting your ticket punched. Thanks to Billet Imprimé®, you get straight on the train and find your seat!

You can print your ticket yourself Prem's, Last Minute Offers or your Thalys ticket*., your iDTGV ticket. either just after you have ordered, or at any time before you leave. You can even reprint your ticket if you loose it!

Given the very low prices of Prem's and Last Minute Offers, tickets, they cannot be exchanged or refunded.

The Billet Imprimé® is valid only for the person whose name it bears. Consequently, you have to indicate the surname, first name and date of birth of each passenger when creating your tickets. You print out one ticket per passenger and for each journey. Each passenger must present identification.

Only identity cards and passports, are accepted on International routes”
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Hi rholt,
As cocofrom dijon says it is gare de lyon in Paris.

I live in Canada and have always clicked on box saying France and was able to continue with the purchase on-line and then print them at home.

Saying that I will tell you that I was buying PREM TGV's and they have been easily (ha) (I have had many battles with this web site) downloadable . I always have had my TGV tickets with me before I left home. I don't know if being PREM tickets (non refundable) makes a difference or not.You can try it out and see what message you get;
Good luck!!!

Hope this helps
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the (quick) input.

Follow-up question. Do I really need to buy the tickets ahead of time. In other words - do TGV trains ever sell out?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:35 AM

rholt,

Yes, you can purchase the tickets on line and print them yourself. I believe that you can only do this within a 60 day window. Also at that 60 day point, the PREM fares sellout very quickly and are really good values. In other words, if your travel dates are Dec 15-22, count back from each date 60 days and purchase one way tickets. You'll have to do this twice. Also, it isn't a two month time frame, it's exactly sixty days and starts at midnight Paris time. If you are on Eastern time you do this at 6:00PM prior to that date which will be midnight in France. You can get these one way fares for as little as 20 or 30E each way.

Sounds complicated, but it's not.

Also if you are travelling in and out of CDG there is a station right in the airport terminal.

The last time we did this, we printed our tickets on line, walked right up to our railcar, went to our seats and sat down. I don't think anyone even collected out tickets on the outbound.

JoeG
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Some of the answers you've been given are as confusing to me as the SNCF site is, so I'll try to explain it more simply.

1. Your train will leave from the Gare de Lyon.

2. There are two types of tickets you can purchase (in most cases): a regular fare ticket, which is refundable and exchangeable, and a PREM ticket, which is a discounted ticket that is neither refundable nor exchangeable.

3. No matter which kind of ticket you are buying, leave FRANCE as the country.

4. If you buy a regular-fare ticket, choose the option to pick up your ticket at the station (or at an SNCF boutique). Get to the station at least a half-hour before your train departs, stand in line at the ticket counter, and be sure to have the same credit card with you that you used to reserve the tickets online. Be sure to punch your ticket in the yellow composteur machine at trackside.

5. If you buy a PREM ticket, choose the Print option, and print out the ticket. No need to stand in line at the station; no need to punch the ticket. Just be sure to have ID with you so the conductor can verify you are the ticketholder.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:40 AM

be careful, trains can be fully booked. Rachael and Justin who came to Dijon recently had to take another TGV that the one they wanted because it was full, and they had the last seats on the next one!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Wow - great response guys. This forum is a real public service.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:12 AM

JoeG- just to clarify one point. It is 2 months advance purchase, not 60 days. So if you are traveling December 22 you would be able to buy your tickets starting on October 22. I have verified it several times and am positive of the 2 month rather than 60 day limit.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:15 AM

In addition to the classic TGV, the iDTGV runs this route as well. The only noticable differences between a TGV and the iDTGV are the fact that iDTGV tickets are sold ONLY online and MUST be printed at home, and the fare structure is completely different and often much cheaper. They also open up ticket sales much earlier. You can book into jan right now on the iDTGV. You book it on the same site as the regular TGV. Just look for a little purple iDTGV logo in your search results for train times.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:39 PM

MorganB

I do believe that I am correct - 60 days prior to departure rather than 2 months.
Although sometimes 2 months is 60 days.

JoeG
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the cogent explanation, St-Cirq. Now, can you please tell us what PREM stands for?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:42 AM

I'm sorry JoeG but it is indeed 2 months. I have checked it many many times. Try it today and you will see that you can book for Nov 28th. Thats 61 days from now not counting today.

Underhill: Prems is short for premier as in first persons to book the tickets.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:48 AM

Not all discount fares are printable. Here is a list of printable fares:

Prems
Last Minute half Price
iDTGV
Thalys Smilys et Print & Go fares as well as tickets to and from Germany.

Other discount fares such as decouvert sejour are not printable so you should follow StCirqs and others sound advice and select to pick it up at the train station or boutique SNCF.

Of note, if you select a printable fare one way but a non printable fare the other way, neither ticket will be printable. You must select a printable fare in both directions to be able to print your tickets.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:49 AM

Whoops, didnt see that Robert had given the list of printalbe fares. Sorry for the repeat.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:11 AM

MorganB,

Sorry to belabor the point, but I respectfully disagree.

I did just try booking for travel November 28 and was advised that it was outside the 2 month window (61 days).

I tried again for November 27 and all the fares came up (60 days).

Try it.

JoeG
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:00 AM

I did try it and I could book. I am check TGV fares for travel wholly with in France.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:05 AM

Hi JoeG,

Just tried it again. Now for September 29th of course. Maybe we are doing something a little different? I tried:

One way ticket
Paris-Montpellier

Here is what I got:

PARIS MONTPELLIER 1 45.00 €
PARIS GARE DE LYON
MONTPELLIER 15h24
18h54 Mardi 29 Novembre
06053 1e classe - Non fumeur
Place(s) assise(s)

1e Passager
(26 à 59 ans) Prem's : Billet non échangeable, non remboursable. Paiement en ligne. Envoi gratuit par courrier ou billet à imprimer vous-même

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 11:16 AM

As a bit of SNCF trivia, Morgan, I remember the press communique to promote the PREM fares when they first came out in early 2003, and SNCF did not say PREM meant first people to buy tickets. At that time, SNCF said PREM was short for "premier", that's true, but specifically from the phrase "premier prix unique", which I think would be translated to English in the sense of "best", wouldn't it? It definitely wasn't from first persons to buy the tickets, although is that what they are saying it means now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -