TGV Tickets

Sep 20th, 2002, 12:53 AM
David K

TGV Tickets

Hi,

I bought my TGV tickets from the SNCF website and had them mailed to me in Hong Kong. It only took 3 days to get here! The ticket is for 2 Adults. On the ticket is says

BILLET
A composter avant l'acces au train

Classe 2 VOIT 18: Place No. 53, 54
02Assis Non Fum
SALLE 01 FENETRE, 01 COULOUR

Can someone answer the following for me please:

a) Translate the above from french to english and what are the relevant information that I need to know.

From my guess :

Billet = Ticket
Classe 2 = 2nd class
Place No. are the seat numbers.
Non Fum = No Smoking

b) When I get to CDG and take the shuttle to Term 2., do I use this as the ticket or do I need to change it for REAL tickets (if what I have is a receipt instead of the real tickets)? Do I need to stamp it at a machine or anything or do I just hop on the train and wait until the conductor arrives and checks the tickets?

Thanks in Advance for the help.
David

Sep 20th, 2002, 01:26 AM
cova

Hi David,
the SNCF sends the "real" tickets, so that´s what you have. Your translation is OK. I would add that VOIT. is the wagon number, so it will be easy for you to find your places.
You have to stamp (composter) the tickets at a small machine (they are orange, you won´t miss them).

Rgds, Cova

Sep 20th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Chris

I have missed the small machines -- they're on the level ABOVE the tracks. When you go through the doors from the airport to the train station, there are machines there -- they're not at the track level (if you don't see them by the time you get to the escalators, you missed them).

If you miss them and don't stamp your ticket, you can be fined -- however the handful of times I've not stamped, I've not been fined.

Sep 20th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Vincent

But even if you miss the orange machines and have to step on the train because you're in a hurry, don't worry: just grab the conductor ("controleur") as soon as possible and ask him to stamp your ticket. But anyway, they are used to this happening on trains calling at CDG, so they won't make a fuss, even less fine you.

Sep 20th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Joe G

David,

Just to add to the above - fenetre/coulour means you have one window and one aisle seat.

Joe G.

Sep 20th, 2002, 06:47 AM
David K

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll look for the stamp machines before going down the escalators.

Two other things,
(a) how many platforms are there? When I was in London, my wife and I ran to the wrong platform as someone incorrectly informed us. Then when we go there, the conductor told us it was at another platform on the other side of the station. Because we were running a little late we had to run to the correct platform. (My poor wife wasn't too impressed).

(b) Is there any way by looking at the seat no. as to which direction we will be facing. i.e. forwards or backwards.

Thanks again.

Sep 20th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Chris

Check the boards -- they'll tell you. Now that's something I didn't ever miss.