Transportation from Gare du Nord

Sep 14th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Laurie

Transportation from Gare du Nord

We are a family of 4 arriving to Paris on the Eurostar. We will probably have 1 large suitcase and several backpacks for all of us. We need to get to the Metro station Ecole Militaire. Would the best and most economical way be to take the Metro from Gare du Nord to Gare de l'Est and then change lines on to Ecole Militaire? Will some luggage be ok on the Metro? How much would it cost to take a taxi? Oh, I forgot to mention we will be arriving on a Sunday afternoon. Thanks for your help. Laurie

Sep 14th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Tintin

My wife and I took a taxi between the same destinations with two suitcases. The trip took about 15 minutes and cost about $7. Much better than lugging your suitcase and backpacks.

Sep 14th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Gretchen

A taxi is definitely the easiest and maybe even the cheapest. There will be a supplement for the 4th person and for pickup at a station but still the easiest. Another possibility however is the bus (I think #42) that goes from Gare du Nord to Ecole Militaire.

Sep 14th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Laurie

Thank you for your replies, Tintin and Gretchen. I think a taxi may be the way to go. I didn't realize they were that inexpensive. Thanks! Laurie

Sep 14th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Lori

Sunday is a relatively light traffic day in Paris so take a taxi, it's well worth it not to schlepp lugagge up and down stairs in the Metro. There might be an extra charge for the luggage but even still it beats dragging suitcases up stairs any day.

Sep 14th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Jim

Just a word of caution--Getting a cab for four was no problem from CDG into Paris--However- Once in Paris Taxis will not take more than three people-
Hopefully, taxi's out of Railrail stations will take four people as they do at CDG. But don't bank on it!!

Sep 14th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Sal

I agree with Jim-We tried to get a cab back to the airport from our hotel to the airport on a Monday and was told by our hotel that taxi's will not take more than three passengers to the airport-after many futile attempts to get one- we decided to lug our luggage to the Airfrance terminal near the Invalides - luckily to Orly (because they don't serve CDG).
Moral of this story--Check with your hotel-let them make the committement.

Sep 14th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Laurie

Thanks for your help. Wow! Only 3 people to a taxi. Maybe, we could go 2 at time. We have an apartment booked, so we cannot count on the commitment of a hotel. I don't mind paying a supplement for the 4th person. Does anyone else have experience with taxi's from rail stations? Thanks! Laurie

Sep 16th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Vincent

Taxis in rail stations are no better than taxis in the street (actually, it's the same ones, they just happen to be waiting at the station ! ). There are 95 % chances that they won't let 4 people at the same time (especially with bulky baggage on top of it). So either take two, or ask for a "monospace" (Renault Espace, Cotroen Picasso) taxi when calling the taxi company, that can accommodate 4 people.

Sep 19th, 2002, 05:14 AM
elaine

You can also arrange for a car service to pick all of you up.

Sep 19th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Patrick

This past Monday our hotel reserved a taxi for us to go from our hotel in the 6th to CDG. The driver with a mini van spoke perfect English and I now have his card. You can call or even email him and set up for a pickup. He is apparently independent, but on the same meter system as all other regular Paris taxis -- but with several advantages.
1) You can reserve him by email: his email address is [email protected].
2) He speaks perfect English and is very polite and friendly.
3) He takes up to 5 people in his van and has lots of space for luggage.
4) He takes credit cards (although, of course, many other taxis in Paris do as well now)

I suggest you email him and ask about the charges for what you want. It is usually difficult to impossible to get a taxi that will take four of you and/or still have room for luggage.

He goes by the name of "Taxi Philippe".

Sep 19th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Gretchen

The posters who say taxis in Paris won't take 4 have it wrong. We have gotten a taxi from the Gare du Nord for 4, we got a taxi at a taxi stand for 4 and our hotel ordered a taxi for 4 to takes us back to CDG. There is a supplement charge for the 4th person, for luggage, and for pickup at at gare. I will say that not all taxis will take 4 but you can get them.

Sep 19th, 2002, 10:20 AM
minivans

Just step aside once you get to the head of the line and wait for a van. Same thing at the airport. They are around and you shouldn't have to wait long at all.

Sep 19th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Laurie

Thanks everyone for your replies. Lots of good information! I wrote down the email address of "Taxi Phillipe" and will check into his service.Thanks again.Laurie

Sep 19th, 2002, 12:58 PM
AR

I tried emailing, but my message was returned. Is there something special I need to do to email from the States?

Thx.

Sep 19th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Christina

email is email anywhere in the world as long as the address is correct, I think. That's a mobile phone number (06-09-14-4742) but outside France you wouldn't put a zero in front (ie, area codes drop the first zero, 06 is a mobile phone area code in France, 01 is regular Paris) when calling, but that shouldn't affect an email address (I don't think, not sure how that works). That's an email service provided by a mobile phone company.

Sep 19th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Patrick

Hmm. I haven't figured it out yet -- simply gave you the email address he printed on his card. Yes, it is the same number as his phone, but not sure that as an email address you'd drop the zero. After I saw your post, I tried emailing Phillipe. It's been nearly an hour and I haven't had it come back to me, so maybe it went through? I'll wait to see if he replies and let you know.

Sep 20th, 2002, 05:06 AM
AR

Thanks Patrick.

"cw": I know that it's a service provided by a Mobile phone co., and I know how email works. I was asking b/c a friend of mine lives in Paris & I wanted to surprise him with a message on his cell phone. I thought I was missing something here, but I realized the problem could be that his provider is not sfr.net

Sep 20th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Patrick

I received a nice little email note from Phillipe this morning, saying yes, that email address worked fine. He was concerned how we made out at CDG. When we arrived last Monday there was a bomb scare at Terminal 2A where we were flying from. The lanes into it were totally blocked which he had already found out from a friend on the cell phone. He took us to the next terminal and we walked (not far) instead of getting stuck in the stopped traffic leading into our terminal. By the time we got to check-in, the scare was off.

I certainly won't lose his card and will be sure to call or email and schedule him next time in Paris.

Sep 20th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Jil

To Patrick,
Did you drop the 0 or did you use the email address that you originally gave us to get thru?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO