TGV Scheduling-Avignon to Paris

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Anthony

TGV Scheduling-Avignon to Paris

We will be traveling back from Avignon to Paris in September. We have a 10:40 a.m. flight on a Thursday morning out of CDG. We will either fly or take the TGV. back to Paris. I would rather not lose our last day in Provenceby staying in Paris on Wed. evening.

I realize the Sep. TGV schedule is not out yet but does any one have suggestions on the best way to make this leg of our trip? Are there TGV trains that leave at 6 a.m. that could get us to CDG on time, etc.?

Thanks!

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:36 AM
elaine

Sorry Anthony, but the very thought of cutting it that close makes me sweat, especially with airport security, lines, checking in, etc. And that assumes that everything about the train goes perfectly.
If the downside of missing your plane is not so bad for you, then I hope the schedule works out for you.

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:44 AM
etoile

Not to mention that the tgv from Avignon to Paris feels like a long trip anyway you cut it. You definitely need some time to relax before going to the airport.

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:09 AM
MBrown

Here is the current schedule. The earliest TGV from Avignon leaves at 6:40 am and arrives at 10:04 am. 3h24mins travel time.

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:09 AM
MBrown

Here is the current schedule. The earliest TGV from Avignon leaves at 6:40 am and arrives at 10:04 am. 3h24mins travel time.

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Phil

Anthony: if you want to spend that last night in Provence, and you're in the Avignon area, the best way is to fly out of Marseille (50 min drive - the airport is North of Marseille) with AF 7661 at 6:25 AM (arr CDG 7:55) or AF 7663 at 7:30 AM (arr CDG 9:00). The advantage is that in MRS you can check in up to 30 min before departure. And you don't have to worry about your luggage anymore in CDG. Book the MRS/CDG leg together with your transatlantic flight. Only a little extra. But book it early, because both flights are very popular.

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Anthony

Thanks, Phil. I had hoped there is an AF flight from Avignon as we are staying in St. Remy. I will check further--if I can be of any help in the future please call on me.

Anthony.

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:51 AM
PB

I hate to say it, but I woul suggest going up to Paris the night before. I live not far from Avignon and usually take the TGV straight to CDG the night before a flight to the US and stay at the Sheraton. There has never been - and probably won't ever be - a TGV that gets you to the airport with enough time to safely make one of these flights. Although the trip only takes 3 hours an 15 minutes now.. you can never tell what will happen.

I used to fly up, but the morning flights to Paris from Marseille are notoriously late, delayed or whatever - and always "due to weather problems" so the airline has no responsibility.

PB

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:46 PM
phil

Anthony: there is an AF flight from Avignon to Orly at 7:05 but you'll waste too much time transferring to CDG.
As to PB's comment about Marseille: I guess I've been lucky the couple times I took 7673 (not 7663 as I wrote earlier). By the way, am I right to assume that, whatever causes the delay, the airline will still get you across the Atlantic that same day?

Apr 14th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Laura

Anthony, we did the Avignon/Paris route 3 weeks ago and there were 1-1.5 hour delays each way. We planned our trip to begin in Provence and end with 3 days in Paris, and everytime I think about it, I'm glad we didn't rely on the TGV to make a flight. Fly or stay in Paris over night and save your self the anxiety.]

Apr 14th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Sue

A few years ago I did Lyon-CDG on TGV, leaving Lyon around 6 am to make a flight to LGW, then on to PIT. It worked, but it was exhausting. I'd not do it again that way.