TGV from Paris to Avignon

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGV from Paris to Avignon

We are planning to take the TGV from Paris to Avignon on Monday, May 3, 2004. After some talk on this board about May Day in France and the possibility of the holiday weekend spilling over onto that Monday, I am concerned if we need to purchase the tickets prior to arriving in France. We will have 5 days in Paris before leaving for Avignon. Is this enough time, or do we need to purchase before we leave the states. The prices seem to be substantially better if we wait until we are actually in Paris. Is this true? There are 6 of us in total (2 adults, 2 seniors, and 2 children).
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
topping for buss.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Since it's a holiday weekend, I certainly would reserve in advance, but that's just speculation. I don't think five days in advance is enough because I would expect many holiday travelers to have bought tickets much ahead of that time frame.

NO, it isn't cheaper to buy them in France if you buy them through the online SNCF web site, which is the offical French railway site. It is cheaper in France than if you buy them through a non-SNCF American-based agent, like Raileurope. YOu can book online and pay with a credit card, and then just pick them up in France at a rail station (which is what you must do if you book from the US).
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

When I looked at the SNCF website, it appeared that you had to be a resident in France and/or be able to pick up your tickets in France within just a few days of booking them. Is this not true? How do you get around it?
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:57 AM

List your residence as "France" using your hotel address if you need one.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:59 AM

It will be cheaper to buy them from SCNF and perhaps even get a discount for 60 days out from the date. You can call them direct in some manner. I have gleaned this from an AOL board. Do not buy from RailEurope--they charge a premium (have done it myself).
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 10:00 AM

You don't need to be a resident of France to buy rail tickets, and you can either have them sent to you or pick them up at any main-line station, which would work well for you. By all means buy your tickets well in advance; they go fast. Did you know that you can get a senior and child discount? You might want to make the arrangements by calling the English-language line of the SNCF: 011 33 8 92 35 35 39. It's a regular toll call but shouldn't cost very much, and that was you can get the most current information.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 11:10 AM

..I am not really answering your question but wish to comment on confusing price quotes from the SNCF site. i wished to book 2 round trip 2nd class seats to Avignon in March. I looked up the price and felt it was quite dear. I spoke to a good friend in Paris who ran over to the local SNCF office and booked these tickets for me (..I think they are about 100 euro rd trip each with a seat reservation)..admitedly mon ami was able to take advantage of the 2 month clause plus another for 2 people travelling together..this was very much cheaper than the price I obtained from the site. I mentioned this to my travel agent and she said this is usually the case. ...anyone else come across this?
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 11:30 AM

The SNCF site can be confusing for anyone looking for discount prices--that's why we usually telephone.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM

If you check the SNCF website for a few days in a row, you will probably find PREM's fares for 25 euros apiece to Avignon from Paris. It's one of the very common PREM prices. Not only can you book online ahead of time (up to 60 days), you can print out the "tickets" and avoid that composteur machine at the train station. Good luck.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:23 PM

I will be taking the TGV to Avignon also, but on May 5, and have been checking the prices on the SNCF site. The PREMS are really quite a saving. My concern is that they are non-refundable and non-changable. I'll be going direct from CDG, and am afraid the plane might be late - so don't know whether to chance that or not. Probably better not.
But I might take the gamble! No, probably not, as they might not have any seats left on the next train, even though the May 1 holiday crowd would have left. By the way, Bussrsf, be prepared for BIG crowds in Paris that weekend. I was there last May then and couldn't believe all the people. Be sure to get the museum pass!
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much everybody for your help. The information is really helpful. What are PREM's and how how do you get them?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 03:35 AM

Bussrsf, Prems are greatly reduced fares which show up on the SCNF website. I don't think they show up more than 60 days in advance (but I'm not really sure about that). They are non-refundable, non-transferable, so if you buy one, you are stuck with it. You can buy right on the website, and even print up the ticket. Check the website for further information, or call the phone number. They are really good if you are absolutely sure you will use the ticket.