Terrorism Death Insurance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having trouble finding travel insurance that would give money to my children if something should happen on a plane or train when traveling from Hawaii through Europe...anyone know the best place to find this service?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM
J62

The likelihood of dying in a traffic accident at home is far higher than any terrorism incident. If you children need $ in the event of your untimely death for any reason you should have life insurance policy, not just when you travel.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM

If have you dependents you are concerned about, you should have regular death insurance, not depend solely on travel insurance. I don't think anyone should depend on travel insurance for death benefits.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:17 PM

islndamom, you can buy flight insurance with Travelex Insurance Services.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

We do have insurance. Not sure it covers this, I need to check. Also, to me it seems would be more difficult and maybe need more immediate and longlasting support since it would be a media event for years to come.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:28 PM

I honestly don't understand your question islandmom. If you have life insurance, and if you have any questions about the coverage, do call your agent/company. That is the only way you will get the correct information. You certainly can't expect to get it from a travel board. Also, pull out your life insurance policy and read it. An insurance policy is a legal contract. It will state what is and is not covered.

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:38 PM

islandmom,

LoveItaly knows insurance - you need to pay attention to her post
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:18 AM

I do not know of a travel insurance that covers terrorist attacks, civil war, nuclear accidents, or "acts of God". As others posted, get a life insurance, not a travel insurance.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:56 AM

Why would being a "media event" for years to come matter. You are dead. Your dependents get insurance from your major insurance policy. How totally odd.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:06 AM
ira

Hi I,

TTBOMK (To the best of my knowledge) no one (perhaps Lloyd's) writes insurance against terrorism, war or acts of war, insurrection, rebellion or acts of God.

You can by insurance against accidental death or dismemberment.

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:12 AM

islandmom

Heed LoveItaly's advice. Even the insurance that is available (accidental death or dismemberment) from travel insurance companies is likely to be a bad deal, sort of like those crank outfits one sees advertising on the TV from time to time.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 04:25 AM

This is a perfectly legit question. There are a number of reasons where a person might choose not to rely on their own life insurance to handle a situation like this.

Islandmom, you have been given some misleading info here. There are several companies, each of them quite reputable, that would cover death caused by a terrorist incident. Check out Travel Insured International or Travel Guard.

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:36 AM

The odds against being killed in a terrorist incident while on your trip are so high that it would be akin to winning the lottery. Though in this case "winning" might not be the most appropriate terminology.

No one wants to collect on death insurance, but you don't want to throw money away on insurance that has practically no chance of being needed. Though if you're the type of person who would worry about it throughout your trip, it might be worthwhile "peace of mind" insurance.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:42 AM

Buy the insurance for what it is best about--trip interruption, medical emergency (what if you don't die but need to be air ambulanced), etc. Your personal life insurance will pay. If you don't think it is enough in case of a terrorist incident then it might not be enough in case of an automobile accident--which also might happen on your overseas trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 07:36 AM

"Islandmom, you have been given some misleading info here. There are several companies, each of them quite reputable, that would cover death caused by a terrorist incident. Check out Travel Insured International or Travel Guard.'

Totally disagree. Sounds like a young company rep shilling for business.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM

<<Totally disagree. Sounds like a young company rep shilling for business.>>

Kind of funny....but wrong. I dont even like insurance companies, much less work for one. Check it out for yourself and do a little research before making such statements.

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM

multifat

"Bad deal" doesn't necessarily mean I hold the company involved to be operating illegally, it might even be an otherwise reputable company. It means that I consider the life insurance bought in conjunction with travel cancellation/medical plans to pay out relatively little in the way of a benefit, relative to the cost of the insurance, and further to pay this benefit out only under very restricted conditions.

For example, the company you mention, travelguard, has this clause in the fine print of at least several of their policies sold to residents of Canada: their maximum liability, in case of a terrorism occurrence, is $50,000 per insured should one die within 72 hours of said occurrence, and death must be as a direct result of said terrorist occurrence.

Aside from the rarity of such occurrences, your survivors would be out of luck if you were merely rendered incapacitated by such occurrence. If you have more than 1 surviving beneficiary, they'll have to split the benefit - and 50K won't go far. (Consider that most people carry far in excess of this amount of liability on their automobile insurance.)

The premiums for this insurance are in line with those typical of travel cancellation/medical policies, and such premiums tend to be expensive, owing to the frequency of claims filed under the cancellation/medical portion of the policy. For such a small benefit, payable under such restrictive conditions (even non-terrorist occurrences still cover only death or total severance of one or two limbs as a result of the accidental injury sustained while travelling) I'm gonna stick to my story: such insurance is, in my researched opinion, a bad deal.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:13 AM

Sue xx

Well said, and excellent points. You will find however that a few of the other companies benefits for terrorist incidents are better. In any case, I was responding to a few that were so sure this coverage did not even exist. Agree, the coverage is not wonderful, but some may have reasons not to want to rely on their life insurance.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:54 AM

As I always say, it's too bad people don't worry about what is going to kill them. It's better to spend time considering your diet, exercise, smoking, drinking, and driving ability. That is probably what will kill you.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM
ira

I went to the Travel Guard site and looked up their "Flight Guard" ins for a person from Georgia, USA.

It excludes "war or act of war, whether declared or not, civil commotion, insurrection or riot".

I can't find where they insure against terrorism.

Maybe another country?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -