terrific winter trip Florence & Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This forum was so very helpful to me while I planned my trip to Italy I vowed to give a small trip report just in case there is anyone out there with questions on a trip of the sort my daughter and I just finished.My focus was to go for the art experience. While I would love to ramble through Italy in sunshine and linger in small towns with beautiful scenery my budget is limited and the art is my true passion. My plan was to go off season to #1 save money and #2 have fewer tourists in the museums and both worked out great.We left DFW Jan 17th and returned Feb 3rd.[flew on continental 925.50 for 2 tickets] We spent 8 days in Florence,stayed at Soggiorno Pezzati 22 via san zanobi. 56E a night. We loved our room! Very quiet,tea kettle and little frig with sugar teabags,pastries etc. We walked into the Uffizi,Accademia,and every other museum we went to with no reservations and no lines anywhere. We walked everywhere and had 8 days of beautiful art,great food,great wine and the most wonderful city to enjoy it all in. We somewhat relunctantly left for Rome [IC train-2nd cl. very comfortable..had compartment to ourselves,in fact]thinking nothing could equal our marvelous time in Florence. Happily we were wrong. Rome is definitely Big City but it has such a great feel of energy and style that I really loved it as well. Again we were there for 8 days. We stayed in Hotel Parlimento 80E and we were very pleased with it. The room was nice [a double paned double window that did an amazing job of blocking out the noise] breakfast was coffee/tea and hard rolls&croissants with yogurt/fruit etc. It is located just off Via del Corso about midway between the Spanish Steps and the Pantheon.It was such a great location to everywhere we wanted to see. We walked to the Vatican, the Borgese and everywhere else we went to. I made a reservation at the Borghese since you dont have a choice but had my pick of any time slot for the next day and there were probably only 50 people in our group. Again the art was beyond description, the Caravaggios, Michelangelo and Bernini....a dream come true to actually be there to see it. St Peters was awe inspiring and all the many churches we toured were wonderful as well. The food,the wine,the opera we went to, the fantastic people watching, the shops and I could go on and on. So after 20 years away from Europe the travelbug has decidedly gotten me and Im already wondering.....Paris or Vienna next? Lynda
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:43 PM

thanks lybdash for giving us some information on your great trip. We are leaving mid-March and can't wait. When you have a chance, if you could share some of your restaurant successes, I'm sure many would appreciate the input.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Lynda, Isn't traveling with a daughter the greatest? You're creating memories for both of you that will never be surpassed.

I never got Carraviaggio until I saw his work in person. The light that comes out of the paintings is unbelievable.

Thanks for the report!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi damama...In florence we loved Palle DOro on via sant antonino 43.wonderful filetto de forestiera.. not the famous large florentine steak but a smaller filet. this was grilled rare and served with a little broth and mushrooms and chunks of red and yellow bell peppers and chopped radicchio. fantastic. we went back to this place 2 more times!! also liked Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco,Trattoria San Zanobi and i'Toscano. We spent anyhwere from 35e to 68e for dinner in Florence. In Rome we loved Cul de Sac and went there twice...they do lots of pates and cheeses as well as the more typical tratoria food...great wines by the bottle or glass. also liked Di Fronte... and Settimo all'Arancio. Price range in Rome was about the same or slightly higher. Have a great time next month!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Hello lyndash, obviously you and your daughter had a visit to Italy that will be memories forever. Thank you for your thread.

BTW did Soggiorno Pezzati have an ensuite bathroom? That is one thing I always want. Also the same question regarding Hotel Parlimento.

Again, how beautiful to read about a mother and daughter taking a trip together and enjoying all of it. Take care.

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:52 PM

What a wonderful report--thank you!

The first time I went to Florence I stayed off via San Zanobi...somewhere. My friends and I found the location very convenient/walkable, and we thought there were lots of delicious restaurants in that area.

And Rome--well, it's my all-time favorite!

I'm happy you and your daughter had such a lovely trip. Again, thank you for sharing.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:58 PM

thank you so much. I am so excited and will post lots of notes when we return.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

loveitaly...Hi, yes Soggiorno Pezzati had bathroom in the room as did the Parlimento in rome. In Florence the shower curtain closed off 1/2 of the bathroom so the toilet was in the shower with you but it was really ok. The room in Rome was a little more 'plush' with shower stall,marble counter and heated towel rack. But I must say, there was something very cozy to our room in Florence with our china cups and saucers and tea kettle and small breakfast table and chairs!we were in room #1 btw but I managed to peak in almost all of the rooms before we left and they all looked great. I would go back again in a minute. Of course the travel with my daughter made this trip so special. She lives in Alaska and Im in Texas and we hadnt seen each other in a year. we never ran out of things to say ,thats for sure!!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:39 PM

What an excellent trip. I'm glad you had such a good time. I know what you mean about being a little sad about leaving one very nice city and going off to the next which turns out to be wonderful also. Thanks for the budget accommodation tips, which I will keep in mind as well.