Just back from Rome & Florence

Oct 11th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Just back from Rome & Florence

Just got back from Rome & Florence and can recommend the Hotel Fontanella Borghese in Rome. Very centrally located, nice clean rooms, and an excellent desk staff who would do anything for you (call taxis, make reservations, answer questions). Cost was 200 Euros per night but well worth it.
Went to FLorence for a few days and can also recommend Tourist House Ghiberti or Panella's Bed & Breakfast. Rooms were huge compared to Rome.
Last night in Rome we chose a budget hotel near the train station for 85 Euros (Hotel Restiva). It was clean, but very basic. FYI... the area north of the train station is a little better than south. This location was ok for our last night, but wouldn't recommend it for your entire stay.
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:02 AM
ira

Golly msg,

Your recommendation would carry more weight if it weren't your only post.

How about a trip report?
Oct 11th, 2004, 09:04 AM

We will be in Florence next week and staying at Tourist House Ghiberti - glad to hear the positive comment!
Are there any great, but not too expensive, restaurants nearby that you'd recommend?
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM

beachysis -

In Florence, go over the water (across from the busier, tourist heavy side) and see if you can find Trattoria 4 Leoni...little cafe in a quiet piazza. I'm not quite sure which piazza, but it was fairly close by after you crossed the bridge (I know, one of many). The food was absolutely wonderful and if you're an adventurous eater the staff will select wonderful dishes for you. It was one of my favorite overall experiences in Florence. I regret not going back one more time before we left.
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Thanks, Posh
They have a website, so could look up the location. They even have a menu on there, so if I can get someone to translate it before I go, I'll know exactly what I want to order when I get there .
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:32 AM

Great to hear you liked Tourist House Ghiberti-I too am staying there in November. Was it walking distance to all the sights?
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Beachysis - Yep! That's it. Fabulous, hope you enjoy it. The link: http://www.4leoni.com/
Oct 12th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Ira, sorry, this was my first posting to this forum and I just wanted to get a quick note up for everyone about how nice the Tourist House Ghiberti was.
Oct 12th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Regarding the Trattoria 4 Leoni, is it a moderate or expensive restaurant? Their website is very informative with a good map.
Oct 12th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Thanks msgJuliet, that was very considerate of you.
So many times people really are looking for hotel info only ! and not everyone has alot of time to do a trip report.
Did you just adore Rome?!
Oct 12th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Hi Kathy -

If I'm remembering correctly, we had lunch w/antipasto + entree and dessert for about 30 euro per. Delicious food + great atmosphere..worth it!