Blois as a daytrip from Paris??

Oct 8th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Blois as a daytrip from Paris??

You were all so helpful with Bourges -- please help with Blois

I have the train info and stuff on the sights -- again what I need is an idea of how long a walk it is from the train station to the centre -- as well as any restaurant recommendations
Oct 8th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Please?
Oct 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM

The train station is right near the town center - half-mile at most; about hourly service from Paris' Austerlitz station taking about 90 minutes.
Oct 8th, 2004, 10:14 AM

That's what I would have guessed (1/2 mile). It's a very pleasant walk, not bad at all. One nice thing is they have lockers in the train station, so I could stow my stuff there as I was coming back from a weekend in Tours to Paris and had an overnight bag. YOu wouldn't need that for a daytrip, though.
Oct 8th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Merci mes amis
Any retaurant recommendations near the centre?
Oct 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Nope, no lockers. Well there are lockers but currently are closed under the Vigipirate order to prevent terrorism (the order has been in effect for several years so the above post must have been talking about a long time ago. so don't count on lockers or any left luggage. Only ones open in French stations are ones with metal detectors - Paris Monparnasse, Austerlitz, Nord, Est and some main cities.
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:45 PM

yeah, it was a pretty long time ago. Well, that's too bad for those traveling like I did; I thought they wouldn't be so worried about bombs in small towns like that.
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:58 PM

As far as restaurants are concerned, I recall one on a boat in the river. We didn't stop to eat there, but I remember wishing we had. Seemed interesting. Can't recall the name...wish I could be more help.
Oct 8th, 2004, 01:57 PM

We ate at a cute little restaurant right in the center of town that was at the top of a hill overlooking the town/city. The indoor tables were just so-so but the outdoor section was very pleasant. It was just a lunch we ate there w/some lovely local wine, but it was really nice. Even though it was a chilly March day, they had the outdoor area open w/some protective plastic sheeting to keep out the cold/wind and it was a very pleasant meal. Sorry I don't know the name, but it was pretty much the highest point in town.
Oct 12th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for helpful comments -- I leave in less than a week and would welc ome any further comments or suggestions.
Oct 12th, 2004, 12:47 PM

It is downhill from the train station to the base of the chateau. Then uphill to the plaza in front of the chateau.

I really enjoyed the "son et lumiere" show at the chateau. Don't know if it will be running this time of year or not. I thought it was very pretty how they illuminated the features of the chateau.

Along the river a bit to the south west of the chateau is a WWII Resistance Museum. It had some fascinating photos of Blois during WWII.

I liked eating at a little cafe in the plaza in front of the chateau entrance. It didn't matter which one. I was more interested in watching the people who were entertained by the museum of magic with its on-the-hour show.

I went into the museum of magic and enjoyed the short magic show and displays of old magic tricks.