Termini Station Area That Bad?

Nov 6th, 2001, 04:30 AM
ron

Termini Station Area That Bad?

I love spending hours looking for hotels on the Internet, and can't pass up what looks like a good deal for November in Rome. I found the Hotel Alpi, a 3star hotel near Piazza Independencia, just north of Termini Station. Other than not being near the Spanish Steps or Pantheon, I can't see what's wrong with staying there. I got an incredible weekend room rate at what seems like a cute hotel. BUT, everybody here says basically the same thing- avoid Termini, not because the area is that bad for crime, but more because there is nothing to see, do, or eat there.

Anybody know this hotel? Stayed there?

I justify staying near Termini because I can get on any subway/bus in a few minutes and walk and dine myself to death in the "better" areas of Rome all day. Then after my share of vino for the evening, just take a taxi (not walk at night) back to the hotel. I can stay at less than half the price than dumpier hotels near the Spanish Steps and Pantheon quoted. Even if I pay taxi fare I still stay ahead moneywise. Unless taxis's fares are a nightmare or rip off, am I doing the right thing? I'd love to hear your comments.

Nov 6th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Patrick

I will add my two cents. No, I wouldn't stay there. But I do care about where I stay. I like to be in a nice area. Of course, this is a good deal because it is in an area of cheap hotels. If you were going to the seaside and found that the hotels were much cheaper a mile or two inland and didn't care about going back and forth then you would have the same decision. It sounds like your mind is made up. If it is worth saving the money to you and you really don't mind traveling to everywhere, then by all means stay there.

Nov 6th, 2001, 04:50 AM
dan woodlief

If it comes down to money, I guess it is not all that bad. There really isn't much in the area, except a few good museums and a few fountains, and the food choices are more limited, but I didn't feel unsafe walking around there at night. Termini is going to be the best place if you use the metro a lot because both lines run there. Still I wouldn't stay there. We stayed on a little square just south of Piazza Navona for about $107 a night, and you can do better than that I am sure, especially if you don't have a shower or bath in the room (we did this in Florence and Venice and saved lots). This was a perfect location. Just around the corner, literally, from Navona, less than five minutes from Campo dei Fiori, a little over five minutes from the Pantheon, probably 15 minutes from the Trevi Fountain, and just a few minutes by bus to St. Peters. The only disadvantage was that it wasn't near the metro, but that is true of most of the tourist area. We just used buses instead, which are not all that hard to learn how to use in the main areas. Personally, I would stay between the Trevi Fountain and Campo dei Fiori for centrality. It is worth a little extra.

Nov 6th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Kathy

I stayed Northeast of the Termini last week and while I did not feel afraid of the area, it was not much fun. It would have been better to be in a more central location. I did find the Metro much more to my liking than the buses since the buses do not have signs on the street showing where you are stopping. You also have to find the bus stop that goes where you want to go and there are many. I did not find a map to adequately show where the bus stops in an area were located and in a busy area like Piazza Venezia it can be very confusing. Granted the bus could be much easier when you didn't have to go so far. The Metro,however, is very easy to follow (it just doesn't go enough places)
If you do decide to stay near the Termini I would like to recommend a restaurant we loved, Ristorante da Giovanni, just off Via XX Septembre at Via Antonio Salandra 1. The food was wonderful and so cheap. We had three courses and wine for under $15.
We actually enjoyed the Termini station since it offered so many things (stamps, toiletries etc.) We did not feel uneasy there and it was much nicer and cleaner than I expected. Good luck!

Nov 6th, 2001, 09:35 AM
elaine

Kathy
I read your post with interest. On my recent trip to Rome I walked too many miles and took too many taxis, because the metro seemed inconvenient with stops few and far between, and I was "bus-aphobic."
I had read that the bus routes are easy to figure out at each stop, but they didn't seem easy to me.

Nov 6th, 2001, 11:51 AM
dan woodlief

I might have over-stated the ease of the buses. We picked up a map at a kiosk that had the buses listed for each area of town. Then you just had to locate the bus stop in that spot, which usually wasn't too hard. We normally just stuck to main, easy to find stops and walked from there rather than try to find stops in between. The bus stop at Termini is extremely confusing. There are just so many bus stops there, and it turned out our bus actually stopped across the street somewhere along with several others. It is not easy to see where to get off at night either. They are easy to use if you find the right bus schedule/map and ask questions. Don't hesitate to ask the bus driver or another rider if you are taking the right bus and then again where to get off. We did have one mishap that cost us a half hour of walking because the bus was crowded so that by the time we realized we were at our stop we couldn't get off the bus before the door closed. Still, the buses work fairly well after you get used to them a little. Taxis are not prohibitively expensive either. We took one cab to get from Termini to our hotel around Piazza Navona for about $10 and another for about $12 to get from Termini to the Borghese Gallery. The metro is great for those perimeter, spread out spots such as the Vatican, Lateran, and Termini. Plus from the Vatican you can easily get back to the Spanish Steps area. If you stay where we did, the metro is virtually useless for getting to or from the hotel.

Nov 6th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Walter

Ron: The Piazza dell' Independenza is a very dangerous place...well at least it is if you're a Vestal Virgin. The Piazza is built on the site of the Campus Sceleratus. Which is where a Vestal would be entombed if she broke her "vow of chastity". She would be given a candle, loaf of bread and water or wine so she could live alittle longer and reflect upon her misdeeds;(.
I like the Termini area, I'm planning my 5th Rome trip and will again stay there. The area is safe but not romantic, I like the ease of getting around Rome and access for daytrips. Of course the Metro is easy to figure out as too what sites are along it's route. On the buses I wish I could recall better but I just looked at the signs at the stops and took them from Via Cavour near my hotel. If the sign said "Imperiali" and the bus # was 32, I knew this bus would go down Via Cavour to the Via D. Fori *Imperiali* and I could get out right at the Forum. If it said "Corso" the bus would probably follow the same route and go to the Piazza Venezia and up the Via Del *Corso*. To return from somewhere look at the bus stop signs for a bus going to Termini or Cinquecento (Piazza D.) which is the same place. If you can find the bus# for the bus that goes from the Piazza D. Cinquecento to the Piazza Venezia that will put you within walking distance of the central historical sites and with that and the Metro you should do fine. There is a website (down again) for bus info. http://infopoint.atac.roma.it/
click-on "English" on the top bar click-on maybe the one marked "something route?" (it won't be "address search" which is good to find the exact location of your hotel or "tourist lines?") then type-in just the piazza names "cinquecento" & "venezia", do any click-ons that come up or are required and it should list the bus #'s. When this site comes back online if you have any problems e-mail me and I'll try it, now I'm just relying on my memory. As someone already mentioned downstairs in Termini there is a rather large shopping mall (instant eyeglasses, bookstore, drugstore, clothes, shoes, gifts etc). Also I've found the taxis to be honest and not that expensive. HTH Regards, Walter

Nov 6th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Bob

I just got back from Rome last week...originaly our travel agent had booked a hotel for us near the Termini Station for 4 nights. We only stayed one night and booked a room that same day on street by Via Veneto, which is a much nicer area. The Termini area isn't too nice...and it looked scary at night...you could find great deals by Via Veneto or Spanish Steps area right now. We paid around $110 in the Veneto area which is pretty good, since there are alot of expensive hotels there. The hotel we stayed at was called Hotel Caprice on Via Artist...I don't have the number but I could get it for you if interested.

Nov 6th, 2001, 01:05 PM
KDenise

Just got back from Italy last week. We stayed at a little 3-star B&B called the Pantheon View, less than 1/2 block from the Pantheon. We only paid $125, and had a shower in the room, and a balcony over a small quiet street where we could take breakfast. It only has 4 rooms, but the area was great - central and safe. 2 major bus stops on either side, and plenty of good restaurants in the area, so after a day of sightseeing, you could go by the room to freshen up and have vino on the balcony before heading out for dinner.
Yes, the bus system was intimidating (especially after trying to find our bus at Termini), but after we got a map at a Tobacchi, finding our way around was easy. And much cheaper than taxis ($3.00 for a day pass - all buses and Metro).

Nov 7th, 2001, 08:47 PM
ron

Thanks for the replies and tips. I am still deciding, but it was interesting to hear people's reactions. It's not like I am settling in to live (it's only a 2 night stay) and I've been to Rome before. First time stayed near the "steps". I sent out requests for rates again from hotels in the usual areas. I'll see what they say.

Kathy, I also thank you for the restaurant suggestion.
grazie,

ron

Nov 10th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Doug Weller

You might want to try the Hotel Aberdeen. Also near Termini but NW of it. Very safe it seemed to us, and this was Februaary with its early nights.

See our trip report at http://www.ramtops.demon.co.uk/4rome.html

We found the buses (and trams, and subways) very very easy to use.

Doug