European paintings

Nov 7th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Canaletto

European paintings

In a previous post there was mention of Van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding, the subject being something reflected in a mirror in that painting. Can anyone name any other European paintings that feature reflections in a mirror?

Nov 8th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Ess

There is a Velazquez painting called "The Maids of Honor", which is a portrait of the young princess of Spain surrounded by her maids of honor. I'm not sure where this painting is located (maybe in the Prado?) The artist has placed himself prominently in the composition (a very daring thing for a "lowly" court painter to have done). On the far wall is a mirror in which we see the reflections of the queen and king of Spain. In essence, we are viewing the scene from their point of view. Velazquez was an amazing genius of painting. I worship at his feet.

Anyway, that's one for a start. Interesting thread. Is there a reason you are particularly interested in paintings that feature mirrors?

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Laura

Ess, that painting..Las Meninas...is in the Prado in Madrid.

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Joanne

Canaletto:

Not a painting, but my favorite unicorn tapestry (at the Cluny in Paris) depicts the maiden holding a mirror and the unicorn seeing his reflection. His expression is absolutely wonderful.

j

Nov 8th, 2001, 09:35 AM
elaine

"Bar at the Folies Bergere" by
Edouard Manet
The reflection of the back of the barmaid is not consistent with her actual position in the painting

Nov 8th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Mr. Herbert Pocket

The Velasquez, ROKEBY VENUS, which hangs in the National Gallery in London, is probably the most ingenious use of a mirror in painting. Velasquez depicts the beautiful curve of a woman's back, while showing her face reflected in a mirror simultaneously.

Nov 8th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Christina

I love that Manet painting, I think it's in the Met in NY, isn't it? I also love Vermeer, and there is a mirror, although not prominent, in The Music Lesson (I think that's the name, a woman in front of a virginal, face reflected in mirror on wall). Another Manet with a mirror is Nana, I like that one, also (a prostitute applying makeup in front of a mirror).

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Mr. Herbert Pocket

Christina, there is also the painting, "Before the Mirror," by Pierre Glazie, that depicts a prostitute looking at her reflection in a mirror(1887). This painting hangs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. It is interesting how Velazquez and Van Eyck used mirrors as devices to show the "hidden," while other artists, such as Glazie, used mirrors as symbols of vanity.

Nov 9th, 2001, 01:35 AM
david west

An truly brilliant bit of "mirror" painting is Holbein's the Ambassadors which has a whole hidden message visible with the use of a mirror.

Have a look at it, and the explaination here:

http://www.geocities.com/anamorphosi...m/what-is.html

Nov 9th, 2001, 05:18 AM
elaine

Hi Christina
the Manet painting is in the
Courtauld in London
Here's a picture of it
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/M
/manet/manet_bar_at_folies_bergeres.jpg.html

and david, thanks for that website, I was not familiar with that painting

Nov 9th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Mr. Herbert Pocket

Thank you, David. I was unfamiliar with that Holbein. What a treat!! My best regards.

Nov 9th, 2001, 08:18 AM
elvira

Mary Cassatt's "Portrait of Miss Mary Ellison" has a reflection of the back of Mary's head (confession: I did have to look up the title); Ingres' "Madame d'Haussonville" (again, back of the head reflected in a mirror); then there's a cubist portrait of a man in a cafe, again the back of his head reflected in the mirror...if anybody knows the artist, let me know. All I know is that it is NOT Picasso.

Nov 9th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Christina

thank you all for the info, I guess I've become an expert on paintings of courtesans and mirrors (Ingres is close as I love some of his but could not find mirrors in the ones I especially liked). Re the Manet of the woman at the bar, I know I saw that painting in person and I haven't been to that Gallery in London, do you think it has been on display at the Met in NY? (I am almost sure that's where I saw it, sometime within past 15 years, unless I'm imagining things just because I've seen the image so much). Now I'm trying to think of the name of a Spanish artist who painted a picture that reminded me very much of that Manet, a woman in a bar, seated at a table, I think, looking kind of weary (more of a cafe, I suppose)--I think it was around turn of the Century, maybe Belle Epoque era.

Nov 9th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Mr. Herbert Pocket

Christina, the painting I think you are thinking of is Edgar Degas' "L'absinthe." It was painted in 1878 and hangs in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. (By the way, Degas in French, not Spanish.) The painting is an indictment against the addiction of absinthe and the social problems it caused. You are very clever to recall it!

Nov 9th, 2001, 11:00 AM
elaine

Christina
You're not imagining it, the painting was in New York several years ago, for a big Impressionist show at the Met. I believe I have the catalog at home, I can look up the title of the show if you want it.

Nov 9th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Ess

Here's another: Parmagianino's self portrait in a convex mirror (round). He painted kind of strange pictures with elongated figures (he did the Madonna with the Long Neck). Actually, I'm not sure whether his name was Parmagianino or Parmagianini. Italian, 17th century, I believe.

Elvira, was the cubist who wasn't Picasso, Braques? He and Picasso were almost interchangeable, stylistically, for a while there.

This thread's a good review of my art history classes!

Nov 9th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Mr. Herbert Pocket

There is, of course, Picasso's "Girl Before Mirror." This painting is from his Cubist period, and hangs in the MOMA in NYC.

Nov 10th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Paul

Last month I saw a lovely painting that fits this category when I visited the Currier Museum of Art in Manchester, NH. In "A Knock at the Door" by Laura Alma-Tadema, her admiration of Vermeer's work is quite evident. I liked it so much that I purchased a small print of it. You can view the painting at:

http://www.museumreplica.com/html/as...sp?catalog=752