Search

Ter france

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2020, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ter france

What SNCF terms an ‘unprecedented relaunch’ of its TER regional passenger services was announced on June 12 as the country starts to open up after the coronavirus pandemic.

Branded ‘TER de France’, the campaign is being led by SNCF in conjunction with regional authorities acting through umbrella body Régions de France. According to a joint statement, the aim is to ‘restore the momentum of growth seen since 2017 on TER trains across the regions of France’, in line with government policy to focus more on local and everyday travel needs.

SNCF plans to issue more than 2 million discounted tickets priced at €10 or less. The national operator is also to introduce day ranger and multi-day travel passes for each region, valid on TER services without additional restrictions.
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 03:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Of course the majority of TER fare are already no more than 10 euros since they are generally short regional segments, so this is just poudre de perlimpinpin. It's if they start selling Intercités or TGV tickets for 10 euros that it will become interesting.
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 06:10 AM

The prices aren't particularly enticing, because as kerouac says most fares are around 10 euros to begin with. The draw, I think, is that you can cancel any train reservation (not just TER, but Intercité and TGV) without penalty before August 31.
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 12:56 PM

There aren't any TER trains in other countries since that's an acronym for French words, so don't see the magic of rebranding as "TER de France".

I think it's just to get people back to using trains after the slowdown. I guess this is part of the big effort to prevent people from traveling far for coronavirus reasons, the whole idea to travel close to home.
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 08:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Some of the TERs cross borders, though. I've taken the TER from Offenburg to Strasbourg before and also the TER Métrolor from Metz to Luxembourg. If you buy your ticket in Germany or Luxembourg, the fare conditions are not the same.