Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tentative Bavaria itinerary - too ambitious?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying in to Munich and will be driving in Germany for about 2 weeks.

Our tentative itinerary for the first 8 days is:

2 days sightseeing in Munich
2 days in Fussen
We are planning to drive from Munich to Mittenwald to sightsee and on to Fussen
The second day in Fussen we plan to tour Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau
we plan a stop in Augsburg the day we leave Fussen
1 night in Regensburg
We have been told we should not miss Regensburg so we are planning to drive from Fussen to Augsburg to Regensburg.

! night in Bamberg
We are ;planning to stop in Wurzburg the day we leave Bamburg
2 nights in Rothenburg
we are planning to visit Feuchtwangen and Dinkelsbuhl while we are staying in Rothenburg

Is this itinerary too ambitious? I would love any suggestions.

From Rothenburg we will spend 6 days or so in the Rhine/Mosel area before taking the train from Cologne to Paris.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM

Doesn't sound terribly rushed to me except that you do not have much time in Regensburg. You could probably cut one night from Rothenburg as long as you leave Bamberg early in the day.

Remember that up to 5 of you can ride the regional trains in Bavaria - all the way north to Bamberg, Würzburg, and on to Kahl on the way to the Rhine - using a Bayern ticket daypass for 28 Euros per day. Not sure that Dinkelsbühl and Feuchtwangen are served by trains, but the Bayern ticket covers bus connections too. That's the way I would do this itin.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the train suggestion. We will be away for a month so we will each have a good sized suitcase as well as a small one. We did the trains through northern Italy and the suitcases were a real pain so we have decided to drive for the Germany part of this trip - especially where all our stays are only a night or two. However, it will end up being much more expensive than the Bayern ticket so we will have to economize in other ways.

You're right about not enough time in Regensburg - especially where we're going out of the way to see it. I will rething that part.

These suggestions are very helpful. I would appreciate more advice about the itinerary, what not to miss, and where to stay and eat.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM

We spent an enjoyable 3 nights in Bamberg--Hotel Brudermuehle was very pleasant with a great location in the Altstadt.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:55 AM

Try to find time to see Linderhof Castle. It was our favorite.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:54 AM

My only comment would be on the size of your suitcases. I've traveled all over for extended periods (up to nine weeks) with a 22" (carry-on size) suitcase. You really don't have to haul a big suitcase around.

You just have to pack wisely.

I really liked Bamberg, too. We stayed at the Messerschmitt. Their restaurant is listed in Zagat's.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM

I think your itinerary sounds nice. Why Augsburg? Just wondering...we stopped there on our way to Munich. Just for lunch.
I agree with Peg: If you are going for any longer than a week, pack wisely and plan on a laundry stop or 2. My sister told me how she "hated" her suitcase 1 week into a 3 week trip. I have always done home exchanges and never had to deal with suitcase "hatred", until our last trip. We were gone 2 weeks and I hated my suitcse the second day. I even went so far as to start dumping clothes along the way.
My advice:
Save money on the car and pack light with a plan to launder.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Help - I am now in a quandary. Where can I fit Linderhof into my tentative itinerary? Is it near Mittenwald? Should I skip Augsburg because we will only have one night in Regensburg?

As for the luggage - the suitcases we take are 25 inch ones. My husband is an avid photographer and his equipment takes up our small carry on.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:48 AM

You can stop at Linderhof on the drive from Mittenwald to Fuessen. Or on one of your days in Fuessen, you can easily drive to Linderhof.

Get a map, or use online mapping site like www.viamichelin.com
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM

From Mittenwald you can go to Linderhoof with a quick stop at the Ettal Monastery. After Linderhoff take a drive through Oberammergau and then the Wiesskirche oon the way to Fussen. See Viamichelin.com for maps and directions.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM

We will be in Germany in September and plan to spend three nights on the Romantic Road before going into Munich. Can someone point me to Regensburg as I don't see it on my map. I was told that Augsburg and Rothenburg were the two places to stop, but it sounds like that's not the case.

I can't wait to go back to Germany. We were in Berlin during the time the wall was coming down and also went to the Black Forest and some other areas. The people we met were so nice and a wonderful little hotel near the Black Forest has lived in my heart all of these years as has a wonderful buffet breakfast of cheeses we had in Berlin.

BTW, those who are going into Munich shouldn't miss Darchau.
http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/