Reload this Page >

Tell me where to go in Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 09:13 AM
suebee

Any suggestions on what to do or see - fun places, pubs, etc.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 10:55 AM
rose

Hi Suebee..check out my reply to the "Edinbourough" post, also see activity.co.uk website, it may be of help...

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 11:02 AM
rose

Sorry website address is activitypoint.co.uk...not activity.co.uk

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:27 AM
Jeff

Hi Suebee, <BR> Edinburgh is a wonderful city that I love very much. Definitely visit Holyrood House and Edinburgh Castle. My favorite pub is near the castle. The name of it is Ensign Ewart's. My favorite restaurants are The Marque and The Witchery. The Witchery is also right by the castle. My favorite B&B is the Elmview (large rooms, lots of extras and nice hosts). If you get a chance, hike up Arthur's Seat (part of Chariots of Fire was filmed there). These are just a few suggestions because there's so much to do there. have a great time!

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:33 AM
Maira

What month are you going?

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 08:02 AM
SueBee

Maira, We're going the middle of Sept. thru the end of Sept.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 08:05 AM
suebee

Jeff, Thank you for the first hand experience on places to go. It's so much better when you can talk to someone who has actually been there!

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 08:08 AM
suebee

Rose, As soon as I answer these messages responses I will check out the web site you recommended. This is GREAT fun!!! Thanks so much!

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 08:30 AM
Maira

Sue--- We truly enjoyed our stay in Edinburgh back in 1998. The city's architecture from different historical eras, so well preserved, and peppered all over, is one of its most striking features. Of course the Royal Mile is a must, we regretted not stepping to Arthur' Seat when we were so close while touring the HolyroodHouse (palace). Next time. Tour buses lined by Waverly Bridge to take you up to the Edinburgh Castle, which was very, very windy, but spectacular. For about $6/pp you get and individual audio tour, which is pretty good and let's you go on your own. Recommend you pack a raincoat. I enjoyed a visit to Beacon Brodies (pub/restaurant upstairs). Some people disagreed with me on this before. OK, the food wasn't great, but located at Lawnmarket Street, is the old house of the guy who inspired the "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" novel. The story is printed on the back of the menu is quite interesting. Our hotel was not charming, but clean and convenient (across the street from Waverly train Station). If you need a car or a parking lot, HERTZ has a location on Princes Street, pass the train station to your left.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 08:49 AM
suebee

Maira - Thanks so very much for all the helpful information. We are counting the days now! We have a tremendous itinerary planned - thanks, in part, to the answers I have received in this forum! Thanks again!

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 11:32 AM
Gordon R

One of the most entertaining things to do in the evening is go on a ghost tour. The best one leaves from just outside The Witchery restaurant (incidentally one of the best restaurants in Scotland, but expensive). My wife and I did this tour a few years ago and still talk about it - lots of characters in costumes and unexpected surprises, all very professionally organised. I think they do 2 tours each evening. Details are at www.witcherytours.com.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 12:52 PM
Sheila

Suebee <BR> <BR>I'll email you a document I've put together on Edinburgh. If this is not your e-mail address let me know and I'll resend

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 02:29 PM
A

I agree with the votes for The Witchery. It is expensive, but the atmosphere and food were wonderful. Lots of neat pubs along Rose St. The Royal Mile is an interesting walk up to the Castle. Enjoy your trip!