Tell me about Snowdonia

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:16 PM
RAR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me about Snowdonia

I have used search and tried to find specific Snowdonia info, but a lot of it is just little tidbits. <BR><BR>Anyone have some Snowdonia info they can give me? I would like to spend 3 days there, as a sort of get-away-from-big-London sojourn. Transportation, places to stay, good day-hikes (not going to camp or mountain climb), un-missable spots of the park, transportation within the park (it's BIG!) ... this would all be helpful. <BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:21 PM

I would suggest renting a car to get around the park. Also, even if you're not into mountain climbing, you can take a train to the top of Mt. Snowdon, which is really a fun experience.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:24 PM
RAR
Original Poster

I'm into hikes, be them strenuous or long, as long as they have nice scenery. Train to the top of Mt. Snowdon sounds pretty neat I must say.<BR><BR>I won't be renting a car, I will be using train/bus. I should have mentioned that.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Here's a website to get you started <BR><BR>http://britainexpress.com/countryside/Snowdonia.<BR><BR>Also, if you type snowdonia in the text search a bunch of strings come up. One that had some good info is called &quot;must sees&quot; in Wales.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:24 PM
RAR
Original Poster

Thank you Still looking also for first-hand experiences from other Fodorites.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:10 AM
RAR
Original Poster

bumpity
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:30 AM

If you e-mail me I will send you my notes.<BR> [email protected]<BR><BR>
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 03:14 AM
RAR
Original Poster

Email sent, thanks
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 07:30 AM

If you e-mail me I will send you my notes.<BR> [email protected]<BR><BR>
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I noticed alot of B&amp;Bs in Betws-y Coed.<BR>Check google, there are loads of sites<BR>and accomadations for hikers. Some people find those dark mountains oppresive, but seeing the dots of bright colors(the mountain climbers) is quite a sight.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 10:30 AM

To get here by train from London you need either to catch a train from Euston to Llandudno Junction(train destination will be Bangor or Holyhead) and then change for the Conwy valley line which takes you up as far as Blaenau Ffestiniog, or you get off that train at Crewe and connect for Shrewsbury and Porthmadog(train destination will be Pwllheli). From Porthmadog you can either get the narrow guage railway all stations up to Blaenau Ffestiniog or a bus.This second journey has stunning views as it travels first of all directly west across Wales to Machynlleth then it turns North and follows the coast up to Porthmadog via Harlech. That's not to say that the North Wales coast railway is boring-they rank as great and almost a great!<BR> Everybody stays in Betws Y Coed.Loads of mountains around.If you want to see the castles it would be worth thinking of spending a night somewhere along the coast because of easy access to Conwy, Caernarfon and Beaumaris.To my mind Anglesey is well worth a visit and not only because of the contrast it poses to Snowdonia. Anglesey is very flat with super walks and just across the Straits you have the mountains soaring up.Its a beautiful evening here tonight and if I turn around I can see the mountain range in all its glory.<BR>Within the immediate pass area of Snowdonia you have a circular bus service called the Sherpa. You can catch this to where you want to start walking, do a peak or two before lunch and then pick up the bus the other side!<BR>The train up Snowdon runs from Llanberis many times a day although I'm not sure that it has started running all the way up this year yet. My parents went up two weeks ago and it was still only running as far as Clogwyn.<BR>What else would you like to know?<BR>Oh by the way we've had astonishing weather here for the last three weeks - come soon- this may be summer!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 04:40 AM
RAR
Original Poster

Great info, thank you.