Reload this Page >

Tell me about Poland...Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 05:32 AM
Tom

Planning a return trip to Prague, Vienna and Budapest. Need to know if I should add Poland, since it is covered by Eastern Europe railpass. Any info regarding Cracow and Warsaw hotels restaurants and sites will be greatly apreciated. Also, any reason to go to Bratislava? Thank you,

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 06:41 AM
Kristy

If you have the time, DEFINITELY add Poland to your itinerary!! I just got back from 2 weeks there and LOVED IT! It has everything - great cities, tiny little towns, castles, beautiful and varied scenery, good food (really!), mountains, beaches, etc. One of the best parts about Poland was the almost utter lack of other tourists! Except in Krakow, we rarely encountered other Americans. <BR>. <BR>Krakow is a gorgeous city with beautiful architecture, fun ambiance, a great castle, museums, churches, and lots of good day trips (Wieliczka salt mines, Auschwitz/Birkenau, Zakopane in the Tatra mountains, etc.). We spent 4 days there (out of a 2-week trip). If you go, eat at U Stasi (pierogies, for lunch), Balaton (potato pancakes with goulash), Pod Aniolium (I think?), Kaviarnia Cafe, and many more I don't remember right now. <BR>. <BR>Warsaw is much more modern and commercial, a typical big city, but fun for 1 or 2 days. Eat almost anywhere in the Stare Miasto (try Gessler's or Fukier's if you want to splurge!). Another great city (but much farther north) is Gdansk. It used to be part of the Hanseatic League, so it looks and feels like northern German or Dutch port cities. Nearby is Malbork castle, the 12-14th century stronghold of the Teutonic Knights. <BR>. <BR>For web sites, start with the Polish National Tourist Office page at www.polandtour.org. Also try www.explore-poland.pl and www.krakow.pl. Lonely Planet also has some good info in their Destinations link. Good luck! <BR>. <BR>Feel free to reply here or e-mail me directly for more information. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!!

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 09:49 AM
Gino

Agree fully with Kristy. Been to all the places that she mentioned and truly loved it. If you stay in Warsaw during weekend(2day min), You can stay at the Bristol hotel 5* for $110/nite including full breafast. Book thru travelocity.com on the net and ask for weekend rate.

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 10:48 AM
Julie

Tom: When do you plan on going? I'm leaving to Poland in 3 weeks. I'll be in Warsaw and Krakow and may have some interesting information for you upon my return. Thanks to Kristy for the helpful info!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 09:02 PM
Bill Sikorski

I spent about a month criss-crossing Eastern Europe back in August-September '95. Krakow is a truly beautiful city and if you're on a budget, a lot of bang for your buck. I didn't find any one sight memorable, but all together one of the best. It has so much ambience. After some of the tourist crowds I experienced elsewhere, i liked to be able to kind of blend in here. If you've never been to one of the concentration camps, Auschwitz is a truly emotional experience that everyone should see. And the Tatras...some of the most splendid hiking period. I did a three day hike from Zakopane area to Slovakia border staying at mountain huts along the way. The villiages on the Slovak side (Tatra Lomnica) are more quaint and charming than Zakopane and also offer great hiking. <BR>As for Warsaw, it had its sights but it's a big fast paced city. Reminded me too much of American-way-of-life. Everyone in a hurry.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 07:39 AM
Julie

Can anyone tell me about the Forum Hotel in Krakow? <BR>It was the only one with room available for us in mid July, but I have read on another posting to stay clear of it. Any personal experience with the Forum, should I try pursuing a different hotel at this late stage? <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 09:42 AM
Arizona

Julie, we stayed two nights at the Forum Hotel in Krakow two years ago on a Globus tour. It's modern, big, and has all conveniences. Best of all, it is on the bank of the Vistula (try to get a river-side room...otherwise you look at a parking lot) and looks across to that wonderful Medieval skyline that will haunt you. You can walk right into the heart of town in minutes. Wawel Castle is just across and down stream. What it may lack in "atmosphere" it more than makes up in modernity, convenience, and location.

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 02:19 PM
Julie

Thanks for the info Arizona! You've taken a load off my mind, although it's probably too late to get a Vistula view, I'll give it a shot.

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 04:33 PM
Barb

I have nothing to add to the forum other than that I hope to go someday. We had a foreign exchange student from Poland (he lives in Bukowno) and I fell in love with his country just from his descriptions. I hope to see it someday for myself.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 04:48 PM
tom

To all: I want to thank ya'll for the wonderful responses. I've had a laptop and access to this site for only about a year and I must say I really enjoy spending time asking and answering. I've heard from regulars like Arizona and some newcomers alike with great advice. I wish that I had access to this site during the past 8 years my wife and I have been traveling Europe. Any of you need to let me know by direct e-mail if you need any info on countries like Austria, Germany, Italy and Great Britain. Also, Prague and Budapest. Been blessed to have had the opportunity to travel and think it is a nice venue to share thoughts with fellow travelers. nce again thanks and good travels!