Tell me about northern Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to plan a July trip to Spain and need some advice. First, last March I spent 4 days in Barcelona (and loved it) and this coming March I'm spending 9 days split between Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada. But even though I haven't even done that trip yet, I need to start thinking about my July plans, as I usually book flights at least 3 months ahead. So I'm thinking I want at least a week - 10 days between Madrid, Toledo, Segovia and Avilla.

So then my question is - what next. I'll be alone on the summer trip so won't want to rent a car. Where can I go via public transportation that's not too complicated. I've read about lots of interesting small towns but they seem like they'd be better done on a driving trip. Is northern Spain "worth" going to without a car - or should I just do the Madrid area and fly somewhere totally different and save northern Spain for another time. The whole trip will be about 3 weeks long. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have any info on the towns of Caceres and Cuenca? They are both on the UNESCO list. Are they hard to get to via trains? Bus easier?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM

I was in Caceres, Segovia and Toledo recently. Neither this city or the others you mentioned (Toledo, Avila, Segovia) are considered to be in Northern Spain. We had a car but you can do them by public transport. Look at the map; Caceres is not near the others you mentioned and it is a fairly long distance away.....

Here is my report; just scroll through it and find Toledo, Segovia, Caceres. The food is great by he way.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34810840
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM

Hi Isabel,

I have traveled quite a bit around northern Spain without a car, using public transportation. I have used a mix of buses, train or plane. Actually, I ahve found buses to be very convenient and comfortableI ahve also been alone or with my husband ( but he doesn't like to drive). It is true that some very small towns don't lend themselves to this kind of logistics , but some can be done.

Some of the places North of Madrid that I have visited and moved around this way:
Salamanca, Zamora, Leon, Oviedo and coastal towns in Asturias, Cangas de Onis and Picos de Europa area ( I loved this area), Santillana, Santander, Burgos, Bilbao, Santiago, Coruña.

I love northern Spain and hope to keep coming back every time I can.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. Yes you're right, I guess the areas I mentioned are not really "northern" - since I'm going to Andalucia in march and that is definitly south, I guess I was thinking north of that is "north". Anyway, ekscrunchy, I read your report, very helpful. Caceres sounds great, but it does look like 3-4 hours from Madrid by train or bus. I also can't tell if that would require a change or if one could go direct.

cruiseluv - I'll look into some of the places you suggest. Do you happen to have a website for buses in that area. I have one but it only covers Andalucia.

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Isabel,

A bus line that covers a lot of Northern Spain is ALSA www.alsa.es
Also Continental Auto and Auto Res ( the latter goes between Madrid and Salamanca)
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

cruiseluv - thanks, that was very helpful. In fact, when I googled "Auto Res" to get a website, I found one that had all the bus companies going out of Madrid. I was able to get all the routes, times, and prices I need.

In case anyone else needs this info, the site is http://www.softdoc.es/madrid_guide/t...ong_buses.html

It's part of a larger site with alot of info on Madrid. Now I just have to decide where exactly I want to go.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 05:20 PM

The busses are terrific. Clean, on time, and quick. A different thought on "northern" Spain. Base in San Sebastian and with one hour bus rides you can be in Bilbao, Pamplona, coastal villages, Biarritz, ... .... Not what you were thinking of but, IMO, more intersting enjoyable than than Toledo, Segovia, Avila, which seem to collect many more tourists. July in the north coast would be grezt: the rains have gone, it is 75 not 90, and you will be ahead of the Spanish crowds.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Isabel,

Thanks for that website, is very good.

Weber raises a good point. In July the temps in Northern Spain are more pleasant that in central Spain.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM

If you decide to include Galicia (North West Spain) in your trip, you might visit La Coruna and Pontevedra from Santiago by public transportation without any trouble (less than an hour by train, which is cheap and convenient).
You even could go to Vigo and take a ferry trip to Cies Islands (a paradise!)
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM

cuenca is easily accessible by train and bus from madrid. aprox. 2 hours by car.

it is definitely unusual and worth a visit if it fits into your agenda.

there is a lovely "convent-converted to hotel" parador there. stop for lunch or special treat of a drink in the patio.

however, i agree that temps may be more pleasant up futher north, but one ever knows nowadays!