Teens and packing light

Search

Teens and packing light

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teens and packing light

We will be in France and Italy for 2 weeks this summer. Flying from home to JFK, to Paris, to Rome, to JFK, back home. Since there are four of us we will be using shuttle services between airports and accomodations.

I am pretty insistent that we all bring ONLY 20" carry-on size bags and maybe one small tote each.

Now here are the problems:

My kids want to bring backpacks. I'm not too happy about this as their current school backpacks are too small (my kids have REALLY big clothes). Should I buy them the Rick Steves backpack kind of suitcase?

Will we actually carry on these suitcases? Or will we wish we had checked them through?

I'm telling the teens that they have to leave all their electronic toys at home due to their inability to recharge them in Europe. They will try to bring some sort of stuff that takes batteries instead. Good idea or not?

I'm just concerned about
A) Looking like the Clampetts wherever we go,
B) Taking up too much space wherever we go, and
C) Feeling like we can't move because we have too much stuff.

Is this a realistic plan? Any advice on moving the family around easily? Thanks!

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:35 AM

The first time my family went to Europe, I was 13. We all overpacked and BARELY fit into the rental car. I had a huge backpack with my cd player, cds, books, and who knows what else! Ever since that trip, we've limited ourselves to 1 carry on and 1 small personal item each, same as the airlines allow. You will never regret carrying on your luggage or packing light. I'm sure your kids will survive without electronics for 2 weeks. Europe is so intersting, I've never had time to read much more than a magazine or small book on the plane or before bed.

The more you bring, the more you have to regret bringing, so pack as light as possible. I've never used the Rick Steve's backpacks, but they seem very reasonably priced. Places like REI have a good selection for comparison. I have a wheeled Victorinox backpack that I love. I use the wheels for airports (unless I'm in a hurry) and use it as a backpack the rest of the time. But wheels make it heavier and take up internal packing space, so if you're looking for a good bag to use ony for vacations, then a backpack is a great choice. Be sure to get them the kind with a good waist belt! Makes all the difference.

Have a great trip! Pack lightly!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:41 AM

IMO, it is OK to let teens bring their toys. Last summer, we spent 2 1/2 weeks in Scandinavia. My kids had their disc man's (or whatever you call those things...could be MP3s or IPODS or whatever, but something to play their music). You can get adapters for recharging at any travel store. Mine also brought portable DVD players. While they saw and did a lot on this trip...certainly quite a few museums, it was VERY nice for them to have their toys during down time in the hotel rooms, on train/boat trips, etc. Mine had each one large duffel bag type thing that we checked and then their back packs, including toys. I had bought padded back packs (meant for laptops) for their DVDs.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:46 AM

In years of travel to Europe, my kids have always brought one 22" roll-on suitcase and a backpack to carry books, journals, CD player, etc. The backpacks work nicely because once in Europe that's all they need to carry around during the day - to keep sunglasses, book, journal, water bottle, etc., and a place to stash small purchases. I think a backpack for teens is far more practical than a tote.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:04 AM

wliwl -
I can't speak from experience, except the experience of traveling around the States with far too much luggage, but I can tell you we are planning to pack pretty much the way StCirq describes above when we go to Europe this summer. My two teenage daughters originally though I could not possibly be serious that they would each have to fit everything in a 21" carry-on and a smaller personal bag, but I think it will work much better than checking luggage. (My daughters clothes do tend to be a bit skimpy, which I suppose will help)

My husband is the one in our family who wants to use a Rick Steves backpack/suitcase. I gave him one for Christmas and he is delighted with it.

Good luck!

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:58 AM

There usually isn't any problem with recharging equipment but at this point I've discarded anything that isn't either dual voltage or something requiring a converter. My batter-operated electric toothbrush has been a real Godsend.

As far as being able to carry on BOTH a 20" bag AND a "small personal bag"...well, that will depend on the airline and how strict they are..since I suspect that "small personal bag" you have in mind is going to be bigger than a purse or laptop.

I think backpacks are a great idea..I use one all the time in Europe since it is convenient for carrying around the stuff I like to have at-hand during daytrips, etc.

The best way for your kids to figure out what is worth packing and what isn't is to make sure THEY carry it, lug it, stow it, wherever you go.

As to your concern for "looking like the Clampetts"...I wouldn't sacrifice anything in favor of "appearances" cause nobody will care anyway.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:09 AM

Cudos on the pack light philosophy. I hate checking bags and avoid it if at all possible. Baggage claim is an added hurdle to overcome when trying to get out of the damn airport. When carrying your backpacks on the plane the chance of lost luggage or delays at baggage claim is ZERO.

Your kids will need something larger than the backpacks they use for school. WalMart, travel stores, and on-line shops may have some that are cheaper than what Rick Steves sells on his web site. There may be some available that are more kid-sized than the full-size travel backpack.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:37 AM

Each child can take his or her carry on and a daypack-sized backpack. If you're not using it for the actual clothing, the pack they use for school is fine for size. In it they would, as another poster suggested, take sunglasses, sunscreen, a book, water bottle, sweater (maybe) and one "toy." There's a lot of down time while traveling on planes and trains, and some kids either can't read because of motion sickness or simply don't like to. An Ipod or DVD or gameboy is a godsend during those times. If you have more than one child and they each take something different, they'll be able to switch during the trip.

If you buy a large backpack as the actual suitcase, it will be too big to use as a daypack, and probably still won't hold as much as the suitcase. If all suitcases have wheels, and kids' extra packs are on their backs with their hands free, that will make things go more smoothly.

I know exactly what you mean about looking like the Clampetts! When we took our daughter to an international irish dancing championship event in scotland a few years ago, we had to carry on the competition dress, a spare dress, two pairs of dancing shoes, the wig (don't ask!) and everything else she needed for the event. The dress bags were shaped so oddly that many people came up to us and asked us what was in them. We looked like the Irish Clampetts, and it was a humbling experience!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:50 AM

Teen shoes take up an enormous amount of packing space--current styles are really heavy and clunky. Your kids should be able to manage with two pairs of shoes. Whenever you move from place to place, be sure to have them wear the bulkier pair of shoes and pack the smaller ones.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:07 AM

Just wanted to add to someone else's comment above.

We flew Virgin Atlantic from Boston to London last year.

Limit was ONE carry-on item, and the weight limit was around 15 pounds for that item. And, yes, they checked the weight of your carryon, as well as took note of what you were not checking to be sure it was only one item.

Of course, this was for the cheap-o seats in coach. I think it was different for business class and first class.

With these tight restrictions, how do any of you do "carryon only" for a trip to Europe?

Gayle
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:18 AM

Not every airline has a strict weight requirement for coach class. I usually fly Delta and they've never check the weight of my bag.

As far as how to make do with just a carry-on bag, here are a few sites that go into some detail:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/backpack.htm
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/womenpacking.htm

After my first trip to Europe I realized that I didn't even use 1/3 of the stuff I packed and used another 1/3 only once. The key is to think in terms of what you can do without, not what *might* come in handy.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:27 AM

We all do the 1 carryon bag per person as well. We tell the kids that whatever fits in their bag they can take. I don't care if they have one outfit and the rest makeup or whatever, lol! They have to carry their bag and decide what they truly need. We have traveled like this ever since they were born though, so they are used to it.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:28 AM

My husband and I both managed to do carry-on only for our trip to Italy, and we flew British Airways, whose weight limit is 13 pounds.

We first looked for the lightest luggage possible, which ended up being nylon jansport duffel bags which weighed in at a mere 6 or 8 ounces each. He wore one pair of shoes only, I wore one and brought a light pair of sandals.

We were lucky it was summer, so our clothes were less bulky than they would have been in winter. We wore the heaviest/most space consuming outfit and packed the rest.

Toiletries were all packed in a travel size and if we needed extra we bought it there.

I do have to say, though, that even 13 pounds gets heavy when you only have the option of carrying it on your shoulder. My right shoulder was very red and sore by the end of the trip.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:42 AM

I travel regularly for business with a 20" or 22" wheeled suitcase (Victorinox) and a large (about 35 litre) Victorinox daypack.

I don't think you should try to restrict everyone to "carry-on" only; the extra time associated with picking baggage at the carousel doesn't really add that much time, and you're only making a few stops. The weight, size and manoeuvrability of each person's luggage is, however, a big issue. That's the real reason for the 20/22" size limit on each person's main suitcase.

I find that wheels are essential. I took a Mountain Equipment Co-op type convertible backpack/suitcase to Europe in my 20s, and found that it was quite heavy to hoist onto my shoulders, but even worse to drag around without wheels. Since then, I've almost always travelled with wheeled suitcases; you can drag them almost everywhere (up and down cobbled hilly streets in Italy, etc) and move fast. But there will be moments when you have to lift them (subways, trains, etc). That's when you find a 24" suitcase too heavy.

I'm not a fan of the "wheeled suitcase with backpack straps" for the reason mentioned by someone else on this thread. The full-fledged wheels take up space and add weight. A compromise might be a duffel with a handle two small wheels without a hard frame in it, plus backpack straps.

Finally, I'd suggest that you make your teens do a "pack" and drag test well before you leave home. Get them to pack what they want to take into their main suitcases/packs and their daypacks (including all clunky shoes, personal electronics, hairdryers and cosmetics). Then make them haul it in and out of your car, up and down some escalators, on and off a subway if possible, and, to conclude, have them jog a block or two on a bumpy sidewalk. I'll bet they figure out how to lighten up, after your practice run.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:45 AM

Practice run is a great idea. People end up handling their bags a lot more than they think they will.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:04 AM

I agree with the other posters who've suggested getting your kids bigger padded backpacks, and letting them bring their ipods, or CDplayers. As another poster pointed out, it's not that difficult to pick up a small adapter at most travel stores. Having these items from home helps immeasurably in the event of a flight delay, in transit, or just down time at the hotel.

However, the backpacks or a small tote per person are all I would carry on board. If you're traveling in coach, chances are good that your luggage may not fit under your seat or in the already crammed overhead bins. On top of that, many intra-European carriers have much more stringent rules, and you may have to check your luggage at the gate.

If you pack light, and leave the platform shoes and/or overalls at home, there's no way you'll look like the Clampetts!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why would teen packing be so different than anyone else? That said, I would be a tiny bit more generous than you stated...

One 22" rolling bag or one Rick Steves backpack/suitcase per person + one carry-on tote whether a pocketbook, messenger bag, or small daypack each.

DO check the main bag for each person, rather than carry it onto the plane. Depending on the airline, transatlantic flights have strict weight restrictions, and I personally do not think it's worth it to insist on dragging everything onto the flight with you. I've done it both ways, and don't see the purpose.

Even checking luggage thru, the most important part is that you are packed light and easily mobile after arrival.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:26 AM

The other thing you should think about a little (but don't get obsessed about it) is the security of the stuff you travel with. Explain to your kids that they shouldn't take any electronic toys they can't afford to lose, because you won't replace the electronic toys if they're stolen or misplaced.

Figure out who and how the family valuables (passports, tickets, credit cards, expensive cameras, etc) will be carried and used to reduce the risk of theft. If you're staying in hotels (which likely have safes), you don't have to cart all of your valuables around with you at all times. But there will be times when you're vulnerable (usually while in transit). A family loaded down with luggage catching a train or subway is a good target for thieves. Keep your credit cards and bank cards to a minimum (eg your spouse carries the Visa, you have the Amex, and you each have a bank card from a different account/bank). Make copies of important documentation (including credit card numbers and contact numbers), leave one set with friends at home, and bring one set with you. If your kids are going to carry their own passports and tickets, you might want to make them wear the "under your shirt" invisible wallets while you're in transit. Probably not necessary for the parents, but you should be vigilant in Paris and Rome. Ask your kids to help you monitor situations when you're more vulnerable to thieves, e.g. when removing money from ATMs. You could even ask them to do some internet research on scams and tips to avoid being scammed.

Leaving the subject of safety, you might also consider "bribing" your kids to reduce the volume of cosmetics and styling products by taking them to Sephora (or somewhere similar) and offering to buy them some nifty travel size products and containers that they can decant their favourite products into.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM

More on the subject of theft avoidence...

I keep my credit cards, big cash denominations, and passport in a moneybelt strapped to my waist, between my pants and underwear. In my wallet I keep at most a day's worth of cash.

This way, a pickpocket can do only minimal damage to me (barring a strip-search mugging, of course). Even if all my luggage and my wallet is stolen, my trip can go on with little interruption because I still have my credit/debit cards, my passport, and a few hundred dollars in big currency.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure if these kids are 13 or 19 year olds, but I think having them responsible for some amount of cash would be a great idea.

Besides living thru this family trip happily, hopefully you are training up future travelers of the world. The more you can interest them in internet research, seeking out things that they want to do, learning to deal with language and currency differences, jet lag, money/tickets/paperwork, reading maps, etc. can be an incredible learning experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -