Teenagers who want to venture alone in Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2 teens (girl 16 and boy 15) who would like to venture alone when we are in Munich for a few hours during our stay Aug.23-27. It is our 1st trip to Germany and I guess I will see how safe I feel it is when I get there but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Lots of very interesting stuff there for the youngsters and mostly very safe:
like any large city, drugs, alcohol, and sex may be temptations.
There are tons of posts here re: Munchen.
M
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:29 AM

My dear, I'm sure it'll be perfectly safe, children wander free all the time in London, they're more than old enough to go on holiday alone, so a few hours shouldn't do any damage.

As for "drugs, alcohol, and sex may be temptations" in a few hours my dear I doubt it. Have some faith in the next generation please.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Your kids will be fine. Munich is one of the safest cities I've ever visited. They'd enjoy stopping at a neighborhood cafe for lunch -- not one of those right in the central tourist area, but one that is more like something back home. Just give them their freedom to wander and enjoy.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback! I think you are right and we should let them experience some adventure. It is nice to hear that is reasonably safe.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:40 AM

i've lived in munich for 9 months and can tell you that it is probably the best large city in europe to let your kids loose. you need not worry. the whole center of the city is one long pedestrian walkway with all the shops, etc. i wouldn't even bother trying to plan activities during their free time as i'm sure they will just enjoy walking about.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 12:02 PM

We recently stayed in a small hotel not too far from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) and the owner assured us that Munich was a very safe city. In fact he commented, jokingly, that locals say "every third person here is likely a policeman!"
We felt totally safe walking downtown at night & while using the Munich subway system.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 12:04 PM

Are they going to be spending their time together, or venturing out separately? Either way, I don't think there would be a problem, based on my son's recent experience in Berlin.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 12:06 PM

At the age of 16 you should be able to trust your children to go out in London's Soho to a nightclub or bar, I'm sure your children would agree with me. One should get on the scene early in life.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:39 PM

We call it "twig-bending" -- if your kids aren't to be trusted on their own at ages 15 and 16, you have a problem and you created it.

Just make sure they have the address and telephone number of the place where you are staying IN WRITING and in their pockets. That way, if there is a problem or an accident, they can phone or come home more easily.

We took our kids to Europe 'way back when, they had a marvelous time as they chose, and I only wish our grandchild will some day have the same interests and deportment.

Have faith -- your boy and girl will be just fine!