technical question

Nov 19th, 2002, 05:35 PM
W

technical question

Hey guys (and gals),

My fiance and I going on a driving tour of Southern Germany, Austria, and Switzerland for out honeymoon in a few weeks and I want to take my laptop for internet access so we can get more specific information for each region we wish to travel.

I have an toll free 888 number through my company that I usually use for dialing purposes while I'm on the road. I usually just have to make sure to dial a 9, 99, etc. to access an outside line when in a hotel.

My question is, does this work the same way in Europe? Will I be able to use this 888 number as long as I find out how to access an outside line?

For those of you who take a laptop w/ you on vacation for the same purposes, how do you gain access to the Internet?

Thanks for any input!

W

Nov 19th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Z.z

Unless the toll free number established by your company, allows for calls in Europe, or specific countries that it has designated toll free, then the answer is no. Also, the dial tones may not be compatible, and you might need an adaptor.

Some companies that have toll free numbers, have even limited them to a certain geographic area, eg. a particular region, or even as finite as a state or county, or else it will only accept calls from certain area codes.

Honestly, leave the laptop at home. If you need internet access go to an internet cafe and pay the small charge to use the computers there.

Nov 19th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Z.z

By the way, whether you realize it or not, even if you are able to access the toll free number gratis, someone has got to pay for the call, and it would be your employer. Are you planning on reimbursing your employer for these calls? If not, what you are doing is stealing.

Nov 19th, 2002, 06:00 PM
X x

What if W wholly owns the company and has to pay all the bills for it? Would that still be stealing, oh holy Z z?

Nov 19th, 2002, 06:04 PM
xxx

Actually, it would be stealing unless the business is a proprietorship. It would be considered a white collar crime. And then W wouldn't be asking the question, because s/he would know about the telephone system or wouldn't be concerned about it.

Nov 19th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Stcirq

No, W, you won't be able to use it, and the laptop will soon become a total albatross. Leave it at home and get yourself a phone card to call home with. As for doing research on information for regions you want to travel to - do it before you leave home.

Nov 20th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Ira

Hi W,
Your laptop is going to get very heavy.

Use the internet cafe's.

Nov 20th, 2002, 12:35 PM
john

W,

To "get more specific information for each region we wish to travel" as you say, go straight to the city tourist office in every city you visit. You'll get full color maps, hotel and restaurant lists, and information on sights and events. Most of it is free, except some of the maps and the tourist souvenirs which are usually more interesting than the junk in the tourist shops.

I've used my laptop to go on the web from Germany, Italy, Holland, and Switzerland when on extended trips. The technical issues involved are just too much for a short posting on this forum. And it is certainly more bother than you want for a short trip.

American toll free numbers cannot be used from Europe unless you go through AT+T, MCI, or Sprint and then they are not toll free. You give the operator your billing card number. It would be cheaper to obtain a regular number from your ISP and call at off hours with a discount phone card which you can buy in some news stands.

Fatherly advice: forget all about the internet while you are on your honeymoon. It's going to be here when you get back.

John Bermont
www.enjoy-europe.com

Nov 20th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Snoopy

Yes . . . and . . . no.

1. You will need a cable adapter, none of the countries you are travelling to use an RJ11. Try this site to find what you need:

http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/

2. About the dial tone: you can set your modem to ignore the dial tone and then manually dial the number. Also, you may need to pulse dial depending on where you are travelling. In Frankfurt, I had no problems. My adapter worked fine(Mariott). At the Zum Ritter in Heidelburg I had to use pulse dial and a converter that I purchased here in Dallas at a "Plug and Play Europe" store. They advised me to buy 3 different adapters for Germany alone.

3. The 888 number will work if you access it through an MCI, Sprint or ATT access number -- not direct dial -- depending on whether the number is national or local (area code specific) access. European countries dont recognize 800, 888, or 877 as valid area codes. HOWEVER, IT WILL NOT BE TOLL FREE so it won't be any less expensive than simply dialing a non-toll free number. For business I buy a phone card to use when I absolutely have to use a modem, and for internet access and VPN access back to my office I use the hotel's high-speed internet access. I stay at pricey hotels that I probably wouldn't stay at if I was footing the bill - and they all have high-speed internet access. (There's actually a little more to this technically that's not worth including.)

If having the laptop with you is that important, just make sure that you stay at hotels that have LAN access to the internet.